The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Statistics unit 1 Higher Tier June 2015 - 18th June

Hello all...
Who is taking this exam?
Are you all feeling ready?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am and I'm pretty nervous because this is hard and the highest I got in statistics past papers was a B :frown: and we haven't learned much so that's another reason why I'm nervous for tomorrow!
Reply 2
I'm pretty nervous. Well, I always get nervous for everything. This is my first GCSE so I'm terrified. I'm feeling ready, I know it all, so I should be fine. I've got all A*s in past papers and mocks. I'm just so scared that I'll forget things, get too tired or panic. However, my main concern is the pesky suggesting questions and parts of questions where common sense is needed. All things said, I expect it'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 3
im not ready anyone have a thread
Original post by Edosawr
I'm pretty nervous. Well, I always get nervous for everything. This is my first GCSE so I'm terrified. I'm feeling ready, I know it all, so I should be fine. I've got all A*s in past papers and mocks. I'm just so scared that I'll forget things, get too tired or panic. However, my main concern is the pesky suggesting questions and parts of questions where common sense is needed. All things said, I expect it'll be fine. :smile:

This is my last GCSE :P You'll do fine, don't worry.
How was it guys?!
Reply 6
So so, it was really wordy which I hated! What about you?
Original post by Edosawr
So so, it was really wordy which I hated! What about you?

I found it quite nice, except from a couple of interpretation questions! What did you get for some of the calculations? Did you get 1.48 squared times by the pie chart to get 42xx something? Did you get 123.whatever for the geometric mean? Also, did you get 15, 3.5 for mean and standard deviation? What else was there xD
Reply 8
Omg, I did edexcel stats, not AQA!! Eheehe
Reply 9
Original post by Turtlebunny
I found it quite nice, except from a couple of interpretation questions! What did you get for some of the calculations? Did you get 1.48 squared times by the pie chart to get 42xx something? Did you get 123.whatever for the geometric mean? Also, did you get 15, 3.5 for mean and standard deviation? What else was there xD

i got the geometric one and i got the mean but for the sd i put like 36 or something i didn't even get it. for the ven diagram did u just put the numbers that they told you?
Reply 10
for the ven probably what did you guys put, the sum of the venn diagram didn't even add up to 120 it was like 242 or something, that was confusing!
Original post by neza99
i got the geometric one and i got the mean but for the sd i put like 36 or something i didn't even get it. for the ven diagram did u just put the numbers that they told you?

Yea. But you had to do some subtracting to figure out the right numbers.
For the interpercentile range did you guys get 28 approx
What did you grt for comparative pie charts?
And spearman's rank,?
And spearman's rank,?

Comparative PC - I got 333,000 (3.7 / 2.5 * 225000)
Spearman's - 0.883
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
I got 28 for the interpercentile range and 0.883 for spearmans rank
Failed the pie chart was lost on that one
Reply 15
And spearman's rank,?

yea i got exactly 28
for the pie chart i basically guessed the radius for the big chart was like 1.48 times bigger than the smaller one so i times the population of the smaller one by 1.48 to get 333,000. i think it's wrong though. what did you get?

for the rank i got like 0.11 or something like that.
Reply 16
guys for ven diagram do you just put the numbers in the circle that they told you to do?
and for the second part i got like 67
and for probability i got 5/120 for the first one
Reply 17
for the amount of threes over 340 what did you guys do. i remember doing something like 60/100 * 20. because 20 was the frequency of 300 to 400
Original post by neza99
guys for ven diagram do you just put the numbers in the circle that they told you to do?
and for the second part i got like 67
and for probability i got 5/120 for the first one

You had to do some subtraction to get the correct values for just clothing/homeware/food or you got more than 120 people (there should be 99 people overall as it asks how many people did not buy anything I believe)

The yew tree question was 15m mean and 3.5m s.d:

15 is the midpoint of 8 and 22; we know there is a normal distribution so the 50% is the 50% after the median. We also know that in a normal distribution 95% of the data is within 4 s.d (2 s.d either way from the mean), so we know that 14 is 4 s.d (difference of 22 and 8), and therefore 2 s.d is 7 and 1 s.d is 3.5.
The mean is also 2 s.d away from 8, so the mean is 15. We can also confirm this as it is a symmetrical, normal distribution and thus we can do the following equation:
s.d = (max - mean) / 3
We can substitute it like so:
3 s.d = (max - mean)
And then
3 s.d + mean = max
To get
25.5 = max
The maximum value seems sensible considering the data point @ 97.5% is 22.
Original post by neza99
yea i got exactly 28
for the pie chart i basically guessed the radius for the big chart was like 1.48 times bigger than the smaller one so i times the population of the smaller one by 1.48 to get 333,000. i think it's wrong though. what did you get?

for the rank i got like 0.11 or something like that.

Original post by Bobrocket
Comparative PC - I got 333,000 (3.7 / 2.5 * 225000)Spearman's - 0.883

You should've squared 1.48 for the pie chart.
1.48 was the length scale factor, so you had to square it and then multiply it by the population of people who had apprenticeships to get your final answer :P
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending