Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain wat this ums stuff does.

Im doin as at the mo

I saw a post about some ppl who got half marks but ums gave them 105/105!!!

How does that work, I jst cant figure it out

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by austinmetro)
    Can someone explain wat this ums stuff does.

Im doin as at the mo

I saw a post about some ppl who got half marks but ums gave them 105/105!!!

How does that work, I jst cant figure it out

Tom
    Your UMS mark is a scaled mark, so basically, if you get UMS 90, that means you did better than 90% of the people that took the exam. It's your UMS marks that count, not your marks out of 60,75 etc

ReputationRep:
    hmm
    there some cases at where your UMS points might show that you have an 80 but you have actually scored about 85...
    and it did happened before for quite a number of times...especially for some of the maths papers..like p1 and p2 for the edexcel maths

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the system is very skewed; take Edexcel Economics:

The paper for a module worth 90 has 40 marks.

Instead of taking the mark and going x2.25 (as you might expect!), they do the following:

Decide that the top 20% will get an A (or whatever they want the figures to be that year), and because everyone was useless and/or the paper was hard, that means the lowest As get 24/40. (This has been the case sometimes - 60% for an A!).

Then, because 80% is supposed to be an A, everyone who gets 24/40 is awarded 72/90. Magic. :rolleyes:

Then, for every extra mark gained beyond 24/40, they add 3 to the UMS mark.

Thus once you have 30/40 (75%) or more, you get 90/90 which *looks* like 100%!

Hope that makes "sense".

ReputationRep:
    Another point is that:

If too many people do good the UMS is scaled down. It has been known to happen but very rare !!

ReputationRep:
    This theory about getting 90/90 on UMS without getting full raw marks isnt wholly true. It is true in the fact that if the boundary for 80% is set at a low raw mark then it is easier to get full ums points, however there is less leniency than has been made out in this forum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mb-)
    Yeah, the system is very skewed; take Edexcel Economics:

The paper for a module worth 90 has 40 marks.

Instead of taking the mark and going x2.25 (as you might expect!), they do the following:

Decide that the top 20% will get an A (or whatever they want the figures to be that year), and because everyone was useless and/or the paper was hard, that means the lowest As get 24/40. (This has been the case sometimes - 60% for an A!).

Then, because 80% is supposed to be an A, everyone who gets 24/40 is awarded 72/90. Magic. :rolleyes:

Then, for every extra mark gained beyond 24/40, they add 3 to the UMS mark.

Thus once you have 30/40 (75%) or more, you get 90/90 which *looks* like 100%!

Hope that makes "sense".

This theory about getting 90/90 on UMS without getting full raw marks isnt wholly true. It is true in the fact that if the boundary for 80% is set at a low raw mark then it is easier to get full ums points, however there is less leniency than has been made out in this forum!
    Cheers guys, this stuff makes alot of sense

Tom

ReputationRep:
    Which basically implies an A grade in maths today is not nessecarily the same as an A grade 5 years ago. UNFAIR.

Why should a "stupid" year have just as much opputunity as a "clever" year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Which basically implies an A grade in maths today is not nessecarily the same as an A grade 5 years ago. UNFAIR.

Why should a "stupid" year have just as much opputunity as a "clever" year?
    but even if the ums sytem want in place, some boundaries would still need to be set on the difficulty of the paper.

Otherwise, some years would get loads of A's, and some get loads of U's regardless of cleverness!

I think?

Tom

ReputationRep:
    So if schools only get our UMS marks how would I go about finding out the actual non-standardised mark out of whatever.. in my exams? Can this be worked out from last year's UMS boundaries?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    So if schools only get our UMS marks how would I go about finding out the actual grade out of whatever.. in my exams?
    hmm...im guessin u av 2 go on the exam board web site and check em against the numbers.

Or maybe they'll have the tables at school/college

Tom

i am pretty sure your teachers are given your raw marks and you can get them if you ask nicely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i am pretty sure your teachers are given your raw marks and you can get them if you ask nicely.
    I have.. they said they didn't know because they were standardised.. lol.. they're useless. It's not that important.. I'm just interested

ReputationRep:
    but even if the ums sytem want in place, some boundaries would still need to be set on the difficulty of the paper.

Otherwise, some years would get loads of A's, and some get loads of U's regardless of cleverness!

I think?

Tom
    Well the silly examiners should make papers that are equally difficult! Surely it's not that hard once a year if you're geting paid for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Well the silly examiners should make papers that are equally difficult! Surely it's not that hard once a year if you're geting paid for it.
    lol, true man!

I dint even think about that.

They cud probly have a bash at making one question harder, then makin another easier if they really needed to test a certain subject.

I dunno, jst a thought.

I tihnk they shud give me A's in all my subjects.

That'd be fair!!

Tom

ReputationRep:
    blah blah, 2 more posts till im a full member!

Comon, jst a few more useless posts shud do it

ReputationRep:
    blah blah, 2 more posts till im a full member!

Comon, jst a few more useless posts shud do it

so do u like college?

ReputationRep:
    lol.. to be honest I wouldn't trust any examiner to do that. Have you ever met one? They are so eccentric!! My politics teacher used to be one.. but he also used to be a hippy in the 60's... hmmm...

I think I prefer the UMS marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    so do u like college?
    blah blah, pretty pooey actually

R teachers arnt very helpful (wel, sum r!)

Its really disorgainised

But who am i to complain, its gotta b betta than some(I think!)

Tom

ps. How do u find college??

UMS is a really crappy way of representing your score. The scaled up results are really dodgey. I've heard people getting 90/90 (UMS) and only getting like 98% :confused:

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.