A level maths self study Watch

Theworstengineer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm planning to put myself through an A level in maths in the form of self study, starting over summer, but I have a few questions for anyone who's done the same.
How much time roughly did others spend studying?
What are the best/easiest modules for someone teaching themselves?
Would I be better off paying for a distance learning course?
morgan8002
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Theworstengineer)
I'm planning to put myself through an A level in maths in the form of self study, starting over summer, but I have a few questions for anyone who's done the same.
How much time roughly did others spend studying?
What are the best/easiest modules for someone teaching themselves?
Would I be better off paying for a distance learning course?
Depends on the person. I personally studied loads for my first A-level in maths but very little for the second.
The easiest combination would be C1-4, D1 and either D2 or M1. Decision is due to be removed, but I'm not sure on what timescale.
It would be easier to join a college than to self-study but I'm not sure on distance learning courses.
tridianprime
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In terms of time, that would depend on how hard you are working. I managed to teach myself a good few of the modules in a couple of days each but that was spending a fair amount of quite focused time studying every day for quite a lot of the day. Of course, some modules such as c1-4,fp1,m1,m3 are easier than others. I personally didnt like d1 - the topics were okay but the exams, in MEI at least, were quite badly written.
Iowan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tridianprime)
In terms of time, that would depend on how hard you are working.
Of course, some modules such as c1-4,fp1,m1,m3 are easier than others.
I agree

This is very true some people can't study by themselves and need a lot of help but there are a lot of resources out there
The easiest modules to learn are C1-4 Fp1 S1 M1 and M3
Also I think edexcel is pretty easy to grasp
Necrofantasia
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Iowan)
I agreeThis is very true some people can't study by themselves and need a lot of help but there are a lot of resources out thereThe easiest modules to learn are C1-4 Fp1 S1 M1 and M3Also I think edexcel is pretty easy to grasp
Not sure how hard the other exam boards are, but MEI is basically an engineers exam board so you don't have to understand the maths and all you have to do is be able to plug and chug numbers and functions into rules that you learn, which is quite straightforward

@OP I think the general consensus is C1 to C4 and any combination of M1, S1, and D1 are what you want to be going for for an easy A*.
qwer1234
Badges: 9
Report 3 years ago
Hi. I self-studied maths and further maths modules C1-4, FP1-3, S1-3 and M1-3.

First off, use edexcel. it has a wealth of resources including official text books and most useful examsolutions.co.uk

C1-4 is obviously the minimum requirement for A Level and then either FP1-2 for Pure Mathematics, or S1-2 for With Stats, M1-2 for With Mechanics, or S1-M1 for just Mathematics.
M1-S1 is generally easier, considering their only required knowledge is C1 and C2. However, if you're looking at physics or engineering, mechanics makes more sense.

I don't think you need distant learning resources to do it.I scored perfect UMS in all but fp2 and m3 without using one.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
im doing a level maths by myself i would like to do all three of them under edexcel.
I would advice to do it under edexcel or MEI. Edexcel has a greater amount of resources but i think MEI online website with subscription fee also help
I think you can do it. I can recommend some books.
Firstly, I use the main book -http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-L.../dp/0435519107
i HAVE IT in PDF.
then I bought the best book for edexcel maths;http://www.amazon.co.uk/Core-Mathema...PSYWF8YKYHXA8K

Then I have general books;

Pure Mathematics 1: by Bostock (soon i will buy book 2)
Pure Mathematics: Book 1: A First Course by backhouse http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Mathema...2MAC4EBJJ328S4

Anthony Nicolaides pass publications good book - it is more worked examples and hard questions
http://www.passpublications.co.uk/in...neimg' />:

I think it can be done and believe that you can do it .
Normally, i use edexcel main text to learn about the key concepts and reinforce these skills and discipline with rosemary edexcel book and use the extension chapters to extend my knowledge, if you have a look at the threads i started you will find that the questions are extended questions that most people haven't come across but helps to build knowledge and confidence.

then use bostock and backhouse books to extend myself further.

Post your questions here for people to help you
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
Depends on the person. I personally studied loads for my first A-level in maths but very little for the second.
The easiest combination would be C1-4, D1 and either D2 or M1. Decision is due to be removed, but I'm not sure on what timescale.
It would be easier to join a college than to self-study but I'm not sure on distance learning courses.
may i ask where does it say that decision maths is going to be removed. is this all the boards decision to remove d1 and d2.
this is very bad as for people like me that want to learn decision for Computer science

Please post a link to a document release saying decision will be removed
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bigmansouf)
may i ask where does it say that decision maths is going to be removed. is this all the boards decision to remove d1 and d2.
this is very bad as for people like me that want to learn decision for Computer science

Please post a link to a document release saying decision will be removed
It is not the examiners decision, all of them are simply responding to the requirements set for them by government.
The new maths specification will be introduced in 2017 with first full A level exams in summer 2019.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
where can i find the specification please this is very annoying how can i fill the gap left by decision to improve my decision knowledge

does this means that edexcel will not have three maths alevels?
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
please help me find the documents in regards these changes
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
where can i find the specification please this is very annoying how can i fill the gap left by decision to improve my decision knowledge
does this means that edexcel will not have three maths alevels?
The background and the requirements are documented here, ignore any reference to 2016 as the start date has been delayed.
http://alcab.org.uk/reports/
https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...september-2016
The examiners are unlikely to issue specifications until 2016.
If you are still studying A level maths in 2019 ........ There will be no Decision maths and only 2 A levels available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1686961
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
Why are they removing D1?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You don't "need" Decision for Computer Science - various admissions tutors have fed this back into the A level review process which has helped to inform the final recommendations. It's also complete overkill to have 3 A levels for Maths - the really important content should easily be coverable within 2.

Somewhere - I haven't seen it for a while - there is a reference to something called the A Level Content Advisory Board (ALCAB) report on Mathematics which gives a lot of background into the changes and what's planned. Mr M might be able to point you in the right direction if you quote him. The important thing is that the changes are based on what university admissions tutors have said - they haven't just been made up by the government

But in the very short term you don't need to worry - the current syllabus will be around for at least a couple of years!
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ThatGuyRik)
Why are they removing D1?
See my post and the one above yours by gdunne42 for more info.

The short answer is that just about *everyone* agrees that the decision stuff is a big pile of poo that doesn't really give people a good background for anything - Maths, Engineering, Science, Computing, Economics or whatever. There might be a case for keeping bits of it, or more sensibly, teaching some of the content within a Computing A level, but it's really not highly regarded by University departments at all
User1686961
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by davros)

The short answer is that just about *everyone* agrees that the decision stuff is a big pile of poo that doesn't really give people a good background for anything - Maths, Engineering, Science, Computing, Economics or whatever. There might be a case for keeping bits of it, or more sensibly, teaching some of the content within a Computing A level, but it's really not highly regarded by University departments at all
I see. Well then it makes sense as it's quite easy and they just giving away ums. Luckily i did it this year and found it fine

Thanks again for replying!
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by davros)

thanks you are a real star i guess i would do my alevel options with d1 and d2 i enjoy it
bigmansouf
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
read this this report says it all
maybe in 2017 maths exam may last more than 1.5 hours

it may look closer to step as they want more problem solving approach https://alevelcontent.files.wordpres...-july-2014.pdf
Theworstengineer
Rep:
?
(Original post by qwer1234)
Hi. I self-studied maths and further maths modules C1-4, FP1-3, S1-3 and M1-3.

First off, use edexcel. it has a wealth of resources including official text books and most useful examsolutions.co.uk

C1-4 is obviously the minimum requirement for A Level and then either FP1-2 for Pure Mathematics, or S1-2 for With Stats, M1-2 for With Mechanics, or S1-M1 for just Mathematics.
M1-S1 is generally easier, considering their only required knowledge is C1 and C2. However, if you're looking at physics or engineering, mechanics makes more sense.

I don't think you need distant learning resources to do it.I scored perfect UMS in all but fp2 and m3 without using one.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Going by what you said, am I right in thinking that c1-4 is all that's required for an a level or will I need two of the optional modules as well?

Also, I'm currently an engineering apprentice but want to go to uni after, so if necessary my choice would probably be mechanics but if, as you say, s1 is easier then I'll do that, because I expect I'll be brought up to scratch with the relevant maths in the foundation year
Theworstengineer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Necrofantasia)
Not sure how hard the other exam boards are, but MEI is basically an engineers exam board so you don't have to understand the maths and all you have to do is be able to plug and chug numbers and functions into rules that you learn, which is quite straightforward

@OP I think the general consensus is C1 to C4 and any combination of M1, S1, and D1 are what you want to be going for for an easy A*.
I'm currently an engineering apprentice doing a btec in engineering as part of the apprenticeship. Would you recommend MEI on the basis that what I currently do at college will help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (36)
13.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.14%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (54)
20.93%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (32)
12.4%
How can I be the best version of myself? (78)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed