Trying to Build Muscle ?????????? Watch

AI_AI
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I need advice.... I'VE always been fit and active,,, But, recently been focusing on weight train trying to build muscle and dedicated myself 100% to my diet and training regime. 4 times a week.

My diet is: (Quick info)

BRKFST:

4 egg whites
oatmeal (3/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk 250ml
strawberries and blueberries

GYM (2.5 HOURS) WEIGHT TRAIN 20mins HIIT at the end with abs

after banana and whey protein shake

lunch: chicken 150g with broccoli and medium orange spinach

dinner: beef 1ounce with brown rice and vege spinach

snack: apple

drink 2litres of water a day....

BTW... I only have beef twice a week, salmon fish twice a week, I eat a lot of protein tuna can (brine), chicken etc.. but, decent amount of good carbs.. quiona, brown rice, etccc...

weight 64kg
height 5.7
fat per: 23%

training split:

mon - legs + abs 20min hiit ( I only use rower and hand bike, because, its leg day needs around a day recovery)
tues: shoulders,Traps,Calves abs 20min hiit
thurs: back/ bic+ abs 20min
Saturday: chest tri + abs 20mins

Should I focus on my main goal to build muscle.... is it impossible to gain muscle and have a low body fat% ???? Is it a good idea to include hiit cardio would that destroy my results.

Any advice appreciated... thanks :-)
Mendeleev
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If possible, try and focus on more days with smaller workouts, dedicating one workout to chest, one to back.
Don't limit your diet. The best way of making gains is to have a variety, keep your body confused.
If you're bulking you should be eating more than that.
Protein shakes are not necessary and have been known to cause harm, spend your money on more food.
Mix it up with the weights too. Sometimes go light, sometimes heavy. Obviously make sure your strength is still improving. A good idea is to go heavy with the chest, back, legs, but lighter with arms and shoulders.
The next few months of working out will burn off some of your bodyfat, cardio isn't necessary. But if you want those abs to show then you'll need to do cardio - sprints are good for burning fat. I suggest if you enjoy cardio then keep doing it. Note, you are not going to be able to get absolutely ripped and gain a load of muscle at the same time - most people who do that are on steroids etc.

Final tip: Don't let it dominate your life. Because eventually all that hard earned muscle will go away. Also, from personal experience, I used to pull loads of girls but after going to the gym I seemed to find it much more difficult (not saying theres a correlation) so just make sure you're doing it for yourself and not for them.
AI_AI
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mendeleev)
If possible, try and focus on more days with smaller workouts, dedicating one workout to chest, one to back.
Don't limit your diet. The best way of making gains is to have a variety, keep your body confused.
If you're bulking you should be eating more than that.
Protein shakes are not necessary and have been known to cause harm, spend your money on more food.
Mix it up with the weights too. Sometimes go light, sometimes heavy. Obviously make sure your strength is still improving. A good idea is to go heavy with the chest, back, legs, but lighter with arms and shoulders.
The next few months of working out will burn off some of your bodyfat, cardio isn't necessary. But if you want those abs to show then you'll need to do cardio - sprints are good for burning fat. I suggest if you enjoy cardio then keep doing it. Note, you are not going to be able to get absolutely ripped and gain a load of muscle at the same time - most people who do that are on steroids etc.

Final tip: Don't let it dominate your life. Because eventually all that hard earned muscle will go away. Also, from personal experience, I used to pull loads of girls but after going to the gym I seemed to find it much more difficult (not saying theres a correlation) so just make sure you're doing it for yourself and not for them.
Thank you sooo much... I do it for myself to look good for me. Why go light at times and go heavy.. explain it a bit more please... I tend to lift only heavy and (warm up with light weight only) and I keep the rep range 8-12 with good form... but, I normally lift heavy each time making sure I lift until failure...??? tore my muscles but, I hit each muscle group once a week... do to recovery am quiet sore.
Mendeleev
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AI_AI)
Thank you sooo much... I do it for myself to look good for me. Why go light at times and go heavy.. explain it a bit more please... I tend to lift only heavy and (warm up with light weight only) and I keep the rep range 8-12 with good form... but, I normally lift heavy each time making sure I lift until failure...??? tore my muscles but, I hit each muscle group once a week... do to recovery am quiet sore.
It's something to do with two types of muscle fibers. I don't remember off the top of my head. But also, it's to shock the body, doing loads of heavy weights every single day and you'll reach a plateau. You want to be mixing it up a lot. By training light I don't just mean doing 12 reps, I mean doing reps till failure then switching to even lower weights (dropsets) just mix it up and have lots of fun
If you split into 5 parts: Legs, Chest, Back, shoulders/traps, arms, then that's 5 days. Then you have 2 rest days + leg day is basically rest day (for your upper body) and of course fitting in your bits of abs and cardio into it.
I can't give much good advice nor do I have much knowledge, but main thing is find what works for you, but keep it mixed, surprising your body is what makes it grow.
A little extra: Make sure not to neglect any body parts and identify the week ones - for me, it was my shoulders. I didn't even realise till about a year into training and i just looked silly (clearly it was genetics contributing so bench press etc. wasnt enough to develop them at all) and i didnt really know about shoulder training back then
AI_AI
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mendeleev)
It's something to do with two types of muscle fibers. I don't remember off the top of my head. But also, it's to shock the body, doing loads of heavy weights every single day and you'll reach a plateau. You want to be mixing it up a lot. By training light I don't just mean doing 12 reps, I mean doing reps till failure then switching to even lower weights (dropsets) just mix it up and have lots of fun
If you split into 5 parts: Legs, Chest, Back, shoulders/traps, arms, then that's 5 days. Then you have 2 rest days + leg day is basically rest day (for your upper body) and of course fitting in your bits of abs and cardio into it.
I can't give much good advice nor do I have much knowledge, but main thing is find what works for you, but keep it mixed, surprising your body is what makes it grow.
A little extra: Make sure not to neglect any body parts and identify the week ones - for me, it was my shoulders. I didn't even realise till about a year into training and i just looked silly (clearly it was genetics contributing so bench press etc. wasnt enough to develop them at all) and i didnt really know about shoulder training back then
Thanks again.... You make alot of sense..Your advice is much appreciated I will mix it up and make it fun... I won't neglect any body parts. 😆
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.88%
No (43)
12.08%
I'm not old enough (139)
39.04%

Watched Threads