Was it conscience or meta ethics?! Ocr religious ethics

Watch
spookybanana
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
'Evaluate the claim that moral judgements are based on an unquestionable intuition of what good is' - WAS IT CONSCIENCE OR META-ETHCS?!

I did Meta Ethics, freaked out after the hearing others had done Conscience, and have since been on Twitter where people are actually seemingly split 50/50?! Some are saying their teachers said you could actually do either, others even tried both - thoughts? Help?!
Jxemarston
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Conscience 😁
g1homeboi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did conscience. It was so ambiguous.
kanttouchthis2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i did meta oh noooo
Tabstercat
Badges: 14
Report 4 years ago
I'm a philosophy student at uni and that looks like a meta ethics question
econmasta11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
conscience
BLJHN
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Very obviously meta-ethics. An unquestionable intuition of what is good is Ethical Intuitionism, of which G.E. Moore was a proponent.

But maybe this is a change in the way questions are set? Perhaps one question could encompass more than one topic? Although I doubt it.
Mime18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did meta ethics a lot of people in my class did conscience so I went to speak to the teacher and she said 100% meta ethics. She's a cambridge grad so I'll take that haha I mean it said 'what good is' thats an obvious hint considering the basis question of meta ethics is all about what good is right?
Ellen1997
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I planned a meta ethics answer because I focused on the word 'intuition' but then changed to conscience as the question asks about 'moral judgement' not 'moral statements'. Meta ethics is only concerned with ethical language and whether it has meaning it doesn't give guidance on how to make an ethical decision. Also in the topic of conscience there is the debate if it is intuitive, innate or God given.

It seems to have spilt 50/50 and teachers at my school have said OCR might have purposefully allowed the question to be open to interpretation meaning marks will be given to either topic.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it SHOULD be meta ethics, but i think they may well have had conscience in mind.
KingStannis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is like blue vs gold dress
g1homeboi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was by no means 'obviously meta ethics'. My father has a PHD in philosophy , lectured at UCL and teaches IB and A-level philosophy and for him it looked like a conscience question, although he did say a meta ethical approach was equally viable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (207)
46.94%
Take exams next summer (63)
14.29%
Change uni choice through clearing (100)
22.68%
Apply to uni next year instead (45)
10.2%
I'm not applying to university (26)
5.9%

Watched Threads