The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

St Mary's College 2015

Hi everyone,

Looks like the first batch of accommodation offers went out today! I've been offered a room in Flat 22 at St Mary's College. Anyone else going to be living here in September?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I'm in flat 47, guess im stuck at the top when there's no lift, typical!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
I was at St Mary's this year and I'm so jealous of everyone going this September, you'll have such a fab time! It's such a community there 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chelsey.ellen

Hey, not necessarily - flat numbers in St Mary's make no sense. I lived there in 2010-11 in Flat 6 (ground floor). Flat 13 or something was round the corner but I don't remember being near flats 5 or 7...
Reply 4
image.jpg
Original post by chelsey.ellen
@sophia5892 is right, you're on the first floor! Someone posted this map in one of the old threads, looks like I'm on the second floor...:frown:
Original post by s-qia
image.jpg @sophia5892 is right, you're on the first floor! Someone posted this map in one of the old threads, looks like I'm on the second floor...:frown:

Haha, that is a useful map! Although I clearly have a terrible memory as I was quite near to flats 5 and 7!!
Reply 6
I'll be in flat 21, looks like we're going to be neighbours :smile:
Doing English language & literature btw
Reply 7
Original post by ahpk155
I'll be in flat 21, looks like we're going to be neighbours :smile:
Doing English language & literature btw
Oh wow, make sure you say hello! I'm going to be doing Linguistics with French, so we might even see each other in a few lectures:smile:
Hi, I just got an offer for flat 17, does anyone have any insight into what it's like living here eg. access to the main campus? I'm doing Biomed :smile:
Reply 9
I'm in flat 23! Doing biomedical sciences, anyone else plan on using the free morning bus service? don't think I can deal with a 35 minute walk to campus every single day haha :smile:
Original post by mit0sis
I'm in flat 23! Doing biomedical sciences, anyone else plan on using the free morning bus service? don't think I can deal with a 35 minute walk to campus every single day haha :smile:

Yeah especially in winter haha, I've checked and the payed buses run till about 11pm too
I am in flat 21! x
Original post by Katie_G_x
Hi, I just got an offer for flat 17, does anyone have any insight into what it's like living here eg. access to the main campus? I'm doing Biomed :smile:

Obvs there's the free courtesy bus you can use - that was introduced while I was living in St. Mary's in 2010, so I'd bought a bus pass.

Stagecoach Uniriders are £250 for the year: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/newcastle-unirider.aspx

I did start using the courtesy bus occasionally once it started, but always got the bus home from uni after as they only run 2 journeys home so they rarely fit with when I wanted to leave.

In terms of buses - 36 and 63 both run every 15 mins. Both drop off at St James' Park opposite the Business School and 10 mins walk from main campus. 36 then goes round down by the train station and the 63 goes straight through the city centre dropping off by Eldon/Square Monument.

The 15/15A runs every 30 mins. The half past bus usually gets you to class on time. And this drops off by medical/dental school and then on St Thomas Street right next to campus.

The half past bus had a habit of being late, so although I don't think it ever actually made me late, I'd have those mornings of debate over whether I should get the 36/63 and walk in or keep waiting. By which point it'd be too late to get the 36/63 or I'd be late for class.... which is why I started using the courtesy bus a little just for that guarantee. But I only had 3 days a week where my classes started when the courtesy bus was running!

Lots of people get/bring bikes, and I've even known people walk it. Taxis used to cost £4-5. I don't think that should have changed much!

If you plan to use public buses getting the pass could work out cheapest, even if you use the courtesy bus in the morning. I think a single fare was something like £1.60 ish so you don't need to travel often to get your moneys worth. And as I pointed out the courtesy bus might not fit with your timetable, and there's always weekends when you might want buses too.

As for living there - I liked St Mary's. It's quiet but that doesn't mean it's not sociable. There's still flat parties and the social areas in the main building. There's also a big Morrison's about 10 mins walk around the corner which makes shopping nice and convenient!
Original post by mit0sis

I'm in flat 29 and I'm doing biomed too 😊😊
Flat 19! Hopefully it won't be isolated from other students and just as fun!
Flat 27, I'm doing chemical engineering, looking forward to meeting you all :smile:

Kinda annoyed tbh, this is a half an hour walk from campus and I don't have my own toilet, but looking at the virtual tour the rooms are more spacious than I expected, I just hope I have desk space and wired internet connection, and the person(s) I share a toilet/shower with are clean, other than that it seems like easy living!
Original post by sophia5892
Obvs there's the free courtesy bus you can use - that was introduced while I was living in St. Mary's in 2010, so I'd bought a bus pass.

Stagecoach Uniriders are £250 for the year: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/newcastle-unirider.aspx

I did start using the courtesy bus occasionally once it started, but always got the bus home from uni after as they only run 2 journeys home so they rarely fit with when I wanted to leave.

In terms of buses - 36 and 63 both run every 15 mins. Both drop off at St James' Park opposite the Business School and 10 mins walk from main campus. 36 then goes round down by the train station and the 63 goes straight through the city centre dropping off by Eldon/Square Monument.

The 15/15A runs every 30 mins. The half past bus usually gets you to class on time. And this drops off by medical/dental school and then on St Thomas Street right next to campus.

The half past bus had a habit of being late, so although I don't think it ever actually made me late, I'd have those mornings of debate over whether I should get the 36/63 and walk in or keep waiting. By which point it'd be too late to get the 36/63 or I'd be late for class.... which is why I started using the courtesy bus a little just for that guarantee. But I only had 3 days a week where my classes started when the courtesy bus was running!

Lots of people get/bring bikes, and I've even known people walk it. Taxis used to cost £4-5. I don't think that should have changed much!

If you plan to use public buses getting the pass could work out cheapest, even if you use the courtesy bus in the morning. I think a single fare was something like £1.60 ish so you don't need to travel often to get your moneys worth. And as I pointed out the courtesy bus might not fit with your timetable, and there's always weekends when you might want buses too.

As for living there - I liked St Mary's. It's quiet but that doesn't mean it's not sociable. There's still flat parties and the social areas in the main building. There's also a big Morrison's about 10 mins walk around the corner which makes shopping nice and convenient!

Thanks haha this was really helpful, I get buses all the time at home so I'll probably just get a pass so I know I can just use them as much as I want :smile: its good that you can get a bus to the city centre too
Original post by Katie_G_x
Thanks haha this was really helpful, I get buses all the time at home so I'll probably just get a pass so I know I can just use them as much as I want :smile: its good that you can get a bus to the city centre too

As the campus is right next to the city centre you can use all 3 buses to get there. The 63 is just slightly better as it drops you right off in the middle :tongue:

I think it might also be the 63 which goes around the corner to Morrison's (and possibly the 15? you'd need to check). So I also did the lazy thing of getting the bus back from the supermarket, even though it's only 10 mins ish walking. Especially if I had heavy bags!
Reply 18
Original post by Lucypickering
I'm in flat 29 and I'm doing biomed too 😊😊

I've found a couple of others doing Biomed too in St. Mary's so at least we won't be alone haha! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Ive been told I'm in flat J? Why is mine a letter when all the others I've seen are numbers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending