Labour leader candidate debate/public questions

Watch
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just wondering if anyone is watching this now?

Kendall wants an Australian based points system. I seem to remember a certain other party asking for that in the last election, they were rubbished and called racists.

Burnham is having a poor performance, seems Corbyn is getting the most positive reception so far.
username878267
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
Just wondering if anyone is watching this now?

Kendall wants an Australian based points system. I seem to remember a certain other party asking for that in the last election, they were rubbished and called racists.

Burnham is having a poor performance, seems Corbyn is getting the most positive reception so far.
If Kendall gets in labour can wave goodbye to any remaining left wing support.
United1892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
The support of union members would certainly lower which could end up in disaffilation.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I thought that Corbyn and Kendall were very clear in what they believed in respectively while Cooper and Burnham gave politicians answers.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I thought that Corbyn and Kendall were very clear in what they believed in respectively while Cooper and Burnham gave politicians answers.
I'm watching it now.
As someone who wants to support Labour, my hopes for this leadership contest were low yet they've still disappointed me.
I just hate how the conclusion reached is that Labour weren't 'aspirational' enough. When we use the word 'aspiration' in the way the tories do, we immediately let them win the argument by letting them rather than us define 'aspiration'.
If Liz Kendall gets in i'm withdrawing my membership and ties immediately.
joey11223
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Eh yeah but I think if she were PM, you have the Labour block who are never going to vote for anyone but Labour no matter what, they probably couldn't tell you any policies apart from "Labour looks after us" and "Tories are for the rich", this is a sizable amount of Labour voters. Those Labour lost to UKIP would be better brought back in by Kendall than Burnham that's for sure, you could even tell with his answers that he'd do absolutely nothing on immigration, tbh his answering of questions was terrible and did a Cameron in answering things he wasn't asked about, kept going on about technical skills...when the question was about foreign people coming in. She'd probably have the best chance of winning back any Labour voters who decided to uncomfortably go Tory.

Scotland is lost to Labour anyhow tbh, there needs to be mismanagement by SNP/time to sink in before that'll change.
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by joey11223)
Eh yeah but I think if she were PM, you have the Labour block who are never going to vote for anyone but Labour no matter what, they probably couldn't tell you any policies apart from "Labour looks after us" and "Tories are for the rich", this is a sizable amount of Labour voters. Those Labour lost to UKIP would be better brought back in by Kendall than Burnham that's for sure, you could even tell with his answers that he'd do absolutely nothing on immigration, tbh his answering of questions was terrible and did a Cameron in answering things he wasn't asked about, kept going on about technical skills...when the question was about foreign people coming in. She'd probably have the best chance of winning back any Labour voters who decided to uncomfortably go Tory.

Scotland is lost to Labour anyhow tbh, there needs to be mismanagement by SNP/time to sink in before that'll change.
Kendall could well lose even the people who vote tribally and the people in Nuneaton were complaining that there wasnt enough difference between Labour and the Tories. Also the SNP isnt running the scottish parliament to great effect.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
hope kendall wins
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
Guys who's the best candidate in your opinion? Who will lead be most likely to lead labour to a victory? Andy burnham seems unlikely as he's a northerner..
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by arfah)
Guys who's the best candidate in your opinion? Who will lead be most likely to lead labour to a victory? Andy burnham seems unlikely as he's a northerner..
There is zero chance of a Labour victory in 2020.
In some ways this is a good election to lose for the Labour candidates.
They've jumped into a leadership election that they are not ready for at all.

As to the question none of them are likely or even have a chance. What an uninspiring bunch of candiates who bar Corbyn are trying to out-right wing each other.
arfah
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
There is zero chance of a Labour victory in 2020.
In some ways this is a good election to lose for the Labour candidates.
They've jumped into a leadership election that they are not ready for at all.
Ffs I moved to England in 2008 I've only experienced two years of a labour govt. I'm moving country as soon as I get a degree. And yea tbh no one of the candidates seem to have an idea of what they have put themselves through. Anyway ciao England thanks for your education going off to Dubai now to make some money.
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol Kendall is too hesitant to be a strong leader
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sdotd)
hope kendall wins
Why?
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Kendall! Kendall! Kendall!
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
Kendall! Kendall! Kendall!
If you want the party to die fair enough.
KingStannis
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Markt1998)
If you want the party to die fair enough.
She's the only way to pick up that floating vote. Scotland is lost. We can easily claim the Green voters back becuase their surge was caused by the optimism brung by the prospect of a multi party system. Now people have had their experiment shut down on them, their natural reaction will be to go back to what they know and vote labour.

We need to win the middle class votes.
United1892
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KingStannis)
She's the only way to pick up that floating vote. Scotland is lost. We can easily claim the Green voters back becuase their surge was caused by the optimism brung by the prospect of a multi party system. Now people have had their experiment shut down on them, their natural reaction will be to go back to what they know and vote labour.

We need to win the middle class votes.
The greens wont all come back to labour and make no mistake more would be lost under Kendall.

The trade-union labour strain is already high due to the blairites centre-right policies staying there would give unions more reason to cancel their affiliation and leave the party in absolute turmoil.

With the boundary changes we're unlikely to win whatever we do i'd rather secure ourr base than go after middle class voters and end up with no future for the party.

The labour supporting electorate was one of the most middle class in a long while with the lib dem vote and the loss of the green and ukip vote.

Also in the leadership debate the impression came accross that labours failure to distinguish itself from the tories lost it votes in Nuneaton and likely did the same across the country.
username1533709
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by arfah)
Ffs I moved to England in 2008 I've only experienced two years of a labour govt. I'm moving country as soon as I get a degree. And yea tbh no one of the candidates seem to have an idea of what they have put themselves through. Anyway ciao England thanks for your education going off to Dubai now to make some money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your leaving England? I would miss you.
Ah I see,big bucks as a lawyer in Dubai, perhaps the next Amal Clooney? .
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by arfah)
Kendall would be most likely to win however they need the 4th largest seat swing since 1945 to achieve a majority, so chances are they have lost.

The greens wont all come back to labour and make no mistake more would be lost under Kendall.

The trade-union labour strain is already high due to the blairites centre-right policies staying there would give unions more reason to cancel their affiliation and leave the party in absolute turmoil.

With the boundary changes we're unlikely to win whatever we do i'd rather secure ourr base than go after middle class voters and end up with no future for the party.

The labour supporting electorate was one of the most middle class in a long while with the lib dem vote and the loss of the green and ukip vote.

Also in the leadership debate the impression came accross that labours failure to distinguish itself from the tories lost it votes in Nuneaton and likely did the same across the country.
Analysis of the election result suggests that both mortgage owners and bought and paid for owners both swung further to the Tories. This suggests that the 2015 Labour vote was less middle class. This is also backed up by the fact that your increased vote came from C2DE voters and people earning below £20k.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why?
She's more right wing than the others and thats what needed to win in england
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (254)
57.08%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed