The Student Room Group

Not meeting my offer for medicine...

Hi I was wondering if there was anyone who got into medicine without meeting their conditional offer? I've heard people saying that they still got in with AAB/ABB and I was wondering to what extend is this true? And do unis take into consideration mitigating circumstances that happened during the exam period?
One of my friends in the year above me got in with AAB despite her offer being AAA, and to the best of my knowledge there were no extenuating circumstances there, so there's hope! If your school is aware of any circumstances then they should have notified your exam boards so hopefully you'll get some sort of special consideration, but you may need to notify your university before results day that there were issues around exam time. I had an email from my firm uni (for medicine) saying that we should let them know if we had any extenuating circumstances during exam time and they would take this into consideration if you didn't meet your offer.

It sort of depends on the university I think, and on how many other people don't make their grades or how many go to other unis. It's really hard to predict :frown:

Hope your exams have been okay! You don't have your results yet so I'm sure you've done better than you think so try not to stress too much for now :smile:
Reply 2
HYMS accepted a few last year (they're my firm choice atm). I think it really depends on where you've applied :smile:
Original post by theac
Hi I was wondering if anyone has ever managed to get into a medical course without meeting their conditional offer? And also do unis really take into consideration mitigating circumstances happening during the exam period? Does anyone have/know any successful stories?

Occasionally people do get in with grades such as AAB. But it is down to individual circumstances (i.e. if they performed exceptionally well at interview) and how well the general cohort of applicants performed (If all other offer holders meet their grades etc).

There is no way to predict these things. Try not to stress about it, there isn't anything you can do at this point. Just try and enjoy your summer.
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
One of my friends in the year above me got in with AAB despite her offer being AAA, and to the best of my knowledge there were no extenuating circumstances there, so there's hope! If your school is aware of any circumstances then they should have notified your exam boards so hopefully you'll get some sort of special consideration, but you may need to notify your university before results day that there were issues around exam time. I had an email from my firm uni (for medicine) saying that we should let them know if we had any extenuating circumstances during exam time and they would take this into consideration if you didn't meet your offer.

It sort of depends on the university I think, and on how many other people don't make their grades or how many go to other unis. It's really hard to predict :frown:

Hope your exams have been okay! You don't have your results yet so I'm sure you've done better than you think so try not to stress too much for now :smile:

Thank you for replying :smile: My school is aware of what's going on and has informed both the exam board and the university. I had a letter from my firm uni as well saying the exact same thing. I have a relatively low offer for medicine, but these past two weeks were kind of nightmarish so unless grade boundaries are extremely low then I'm gonna miss it *sighs*
Original post by Ezme39
HYMS accepted a few last year (they're my firm choice atm). I think it really depends on where you've applied :smile:

liverpool and bristol :smile: thank you for replying!
Original post by ForestCat
Occasionally people do get in with grades such as AAB. But it is down to individual circumstances (i.e. if they performed exceptionally well at interview) and how well the general cohort of applicants performed (If all other offer holders meet their grades etc).

There is no way to predict these things. Try not to stress about it, there isn't anything you can do at this point. Just try and enjoy your summer.

Thanks :smile: I'm not stressed not really...sometimes things happen in life that you can't control and unfortunately they affect your performance so whatever is done, it's done. My school has notified my firm and insurance uni as well as the exam board about what has been going on so this thread was mostly to see if med unis take into consideration mitigating circumstances or if I should start preparing myself mentally that I'll be going to germany :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest