The Student Room Group

Choosing between a language and georgaphy

I've finished my GCSEs and I'm re-thinking my options. I've decided to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths

The problem is I don't know if I want to do Spanish or Geography. So can somebody provide me with the pros and cons of each subject then it would be very helpful
Thank you
Reply 1
It really depends on the exam boards for language courses. Some (e.g. Wjec) are ridiculously easy at AS then a big step up at A2, others (like Edexcel) are really hard at AS but relatively easy at A2. It would all depend on how much you liked the subject, and whether you're intending on just dropping it after AS.

I took 2 languages but always wished I'd done geography because I love studying it, however it didnt fit in with my subjects and some unis consider it a "soft subject" which swayed me too much. In hindsight I'd say ignore the soft subject thing, and do whatever you love! Geography would be quite nice with sciences and maths anyway because of the natural elements and human geography bits.

It might help to know what degree you plan on doing?
Reply 2
Original post by Idunnolife45
I've finished my GCSEs and I'm re-thinking my options. I've decided to do Biology, Chemistry and Maths

The problem is I don't know if I want to do Spanish or Geography. So can somebody provide me with the pros and cons of each subject then it would be very helpful
Thank you

You have picked hard subjects so i would suggest geog. Its a much easier subject, a great course and very enjoyable. Russle group unis consider geog a facilitating subject and not a soft subject tho its an easy subject to do.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest