The Student Room Group

Should I take a level further maths???

Hi guys, I'm a year 10 student who has a problem that some of you might be able to help me with. I am in high sets for everything g and predicted all b's with 3 a's in maths physics and geography. I find gcse maths really easy but I chose to do geography over further maths at gcse. But I did this because I always thought I would do something to do with geography but I have now realised that my strong points are maths physics and computing So I want to be a programmer. However when I have been looking on certain universities websites they say they want you to take a level further maths to do the computer science course.

The a levels I want to take are-
Physics
Maths
Computing
And Possibly further maths (depending on how this goes)

So my question is, if I take these a levels will I be overworking myself? In other words are these really hard a levels to do? And also will I be able to do further maths a level without a further maths gcse? Or will I find it very difficult? Thank you in advance charlie
Well I don't know if anyone here can give you something that will be helpful to you specifically - as it all depends on how much you're willing to work for the further maths.

I actually take that combination of A levels and I can say that although the work load for maths and further maths close to exams can be quite high it's manageable as long as you are willing to put in the effort appropriate for A levels - that's the main factor. Of course having a natural grasp of maths makes the process easier but you can learn a lot of it through hard work.
Original post by Charlie2k
Hi guys, I'm a year 10 student who has a problem that some of you might be able to help me with. I am in high sets for everything g and predicted all b's with 3 a's in maths physics and geography. I find gcse maths really easy but I chose to do geography over further maths at gcse. But I did this because I always thought I would do something to do with geography but I have now realised that my strong points are maths physics and computing So I want to be a programmer. However when I have been looking on certain universities websites they say they want you to take a level further maths to do the computer science course.

The a levels I want to take are-
Physics
Maths
Computing
And Possibly further maths (depending on how this goes)

So my question is, if I take these a levels will I be overworking myself? In other words are these really hard a levels to do? And also will I be able to do further maths a level without a further maths gcse? Or will I find it very difficult? Thank you in advance charlie

Most if not all sixth forms require to have A/A* in maths to do further maths. (Though some only let you do it if you get an A*). You don't need a gcse in further maths to do it for a level. If you're good at maths you shouldn't find it too difficult but I've heard it's a lot of work. Basically you need to really like doing maths. As for the other questions idk.
Reply 3
If you find maths easy, go for it, in my school FM is done by doing all of maths in one year then all of FM in the next instead of doing 3 AS maths and 3 AS FM and it wasn't tbh
Reply 4
In hindsight I should have done that. Yes it's a lot of work but it's 2 A-levels, so it should be a lot of work. If you're good at maths and are interested, you'll be absolutely fine.
If you can get end up with an A* in Maths by the end of y11 and still feel like you could push on more, you're fine.
All right, I'd say there are two main questions to ask yourself if picking a subject for AS/A2. One is asking whether you enjoy it and would be willing to put the work in. So that's "would I be willing to do hours worth of revision and possibly give up x,y and z for the subject?" If yes, think about whether you're good at it. Most colleges or Sixth Forms ask for an A/A* at GCSE, so think about whether that's within your reach. I'd say if you're predicted that and like maths, it's worth a shot.

As much as I'd love to be encouraging and tell you to go for it regardless of your grades in maths, the truth is that the A Level isn't for everyone. My sister, who's amazing at maths dropped out of her FM course because of its difficulty.This isn't supposed to put you off, just give you an idea of what you've got to do. I've decided to do further maths mainly because I plan to do physics at uni, and in loads of good unis credit it as a worthwhile subject. Plus, it definitely bridges the gap between A Level and higher education.

Good luck in making your decision :smile: And tl;dr, if you're willing to work on a subject you enjoy, you'll be awesome.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest