The Student Room Group

And statistically the most popular month for birthdays in England and Wales is....

July!

Did you know that? Well you do now! (I'm sure you were all dying to know). At least we know which month Britain's parents are most horniest now eh?

This link from the ONS gives all births from each month from each year from 1938-2013.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/business-transparency/freedom-of-information/what-can-i-request/published-ad-hoc-data/pop/december-2014/monthly-births-in-england-and-wales-1938-2013.xls

I'm tabulated them for each decade:

1980s:
July - 575,227
May - 571,926
August - 563,167
March - 562,662
September - 561,469
June - 552,753
October - 550,148
April - 542,775
January - 537,227
December 526,717
November 517,268
February 501,518

1990s:
July - 583,102
May - 568,946
August - 567,244
September - 566,379
June - 562,585
March - 560,056
October - 555,941
January - 550,447
April - 541,432
December 537,332
November 526,850
February 510,315

2000s:
July - 564,626
October - 559,425
September - 558,845
August - 558,010
May - 548,215
June - 536,817
March - 536,748
January - 533,269
December 536,927
November 531,514
April - 521,711
February 490,634

So there you go, so the next time you hear someone say "why does everyone seem to be born in xxx month" you know the real stats lol.

Now 7 of the 12 months have 31 days so they should make up the top 7 automatically, which is surprising to see September the best non-31 day performing month, infact if it had an extra day it probably would top July as our most common month (adding an extra 20,000 to its figures).

But nonetheless July has won the past 3 consecutive decades as England and Wales most popular month, not a statistical fluke therefore, wonder exactly what the reason for that is?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sharpshooter
But nonetheless July has won the past 3 consecutive decades as England and Wales most popular month, not a statistical fluke therefore, wonder exactly what the reason for that is?

Bonfire night really gets people in the mood.
I thought it'd be September or November - 9 months after New Year and Valentine's Day respectively.
I think its more genetic
You'd want babies born when they have more chance to survive. That may not have been a major factor for thousands or even millions of years but evolution is incredibly slow to change. There may be other environmental factors.
Incidentally although I was born on the August 4th, I was due on the 22nd of July, so it appears my parents were part of this trend therefore lol.
Original post by aaronlowe
I think its more genetic
You'd want babies born when they have more chance to survive. That may not have been a major factor for thousands or even millions of years but evolution is incredibly slow to change. There may be other environmental factors.

by a mad alchemy you managed to bring interest to the dreariest thread imaginable. You can have my enormous rep tomorrow if you want it, I've today already shot off like a September newlywed.

I wonder if the figures are reversed for Australia.
im in the least popular month fml, unpopuarity game is strong
All that snuggling on cold, November nights.
Original post by cambio wechsel
by a mad alchemy you managed to bring interest to the dreariest thread imaginable. You can have my enormous rep tomorrow if you want it, I've today already shot off like a September newlywed.

I wonder if the figures are reversed for Australia.

I've always thought that the reason I was born in May is because I was conceived in September just as the weather was getting cold. Those were in the days before central heating so people had to snuggle up in bed to get warm. :wink:
Reply 10
being born in February means you are destined for greatness

shoop di boop
Original post by K.C
being born in February means you are destined for greatness

shoop di boop

Let me guess, you were born in February? :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by mogwai98
Let me guess, you were born in February? :tongue:

yep ! :biggrin:
Original post by K.C
yep ! :biggrin:

I did see that one coming :tongue:

July here, so this thread is sort of interesting to me (sort of).
Reply 14
July birthdays unite!

Spoiler

Reply 15
I have noticed that a lot of people I know have a birthday that month; strangely several of them were born on the same day.

Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I thought it'd be September or November - 9 months after New Year and Valentine's Day respectively.

I also know quite a few people who were born late August/early September (nine months after Christmas/New Years).

Posted from TSR Mobile
my birthday's in

Spoiler

My brother, sister and I celebrate our birthdays within a fortnight, which perhaps reveals something about my parents' sex life.
Original post by gemmam
I also know quite a few people who were born late August/early September (nine months after Christmas/New Years).

Actually, nine months after Christmas/New Years is September/October, statistically speaking in the US, October 5th is the most popular day to be born on, there traditionally has been a spike in birthdays in late September/early October.
Reply 18
Original post by Sharpshooter
Actually, nine months after Christmas/New Years is September/October, statistically speaking in the US, October 5th is the most popular day to be born on, there traditionally has been a spike in birthdays in late September/early October.

Ah so it is Im a bit tired today. Don't actually know that many people born late September/October.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest