Roshniroxy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So, I'm kind of stressed out about my future. Currently at a good Russell Group Uni, I've just received my second year results (low 2.1) and I have no plan for what I'm doing after graduation and i'm freaking out.

Am I screwed, do you think I have a shot at applying for vacation schemes at some silver circle firms and getting in with my low 2.1? I have good extra-curricular activities (societies and other experiences at university) but I'm worried that my grades are not up to scratch, especially property law this year (54).

I no commercial law is not the be all and end all, but at this moment in time I do not know what to do, and the security of a training contract seems amazing.
liarpoker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a low 2.1 in first year and secured three vacation scheme offers (MC/SC/US), it may be harder to get with similar results in second year. I had a mixture of 2.1s/2.2s across first year.

How did you perform in first year? - Did you get a 2.1?

May be easier to focus on firms which place less emphasis on a 'strong' 2.1. What is your mark breakdown like? (is the property mark dragging down your average?

What do you mean by 'good Russell Group? If you mean UCL/Durham then you're still in with a shout even at the very best of firms, if you mean Liverpool or Cardiff, the silver circle will be tough.

There are benefits to having a TC, but it's best to be completely aware of what you're signing up.
Roshniroxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by liarpoker)
I got a low 2.1 in first year and secured three vacation scheme offers (MC/SC/US), it may be harder to get with similar results in second year. I had a mixture of 2.1s/2.2s across first year.

How did you perform in first year? - Did you get a 2.1?

May be easier to focus on firms which place less emphasis on a 'strong' 2.1. What is your mark breakdown like? (is the property mark dragging down your average?

What do you mean by 'good Russell Group? If you mean UCL/Durham then you're still in with a shout even at the very best of firms, if you mean Liverpool or Cardiff, the silver circle will be tough.

There are benefits to having a TC, but it's best to be completely aware of what you're signing up.
First year I got a 2.1 in all modules except property (56). Second year I've done even worse in property (63). It's dragging down my average massively, tort also 2.2 (58 and very surprised). I did well in contract last year (66). This year it went like this: 68,65, 58, 53

I'm at a good Russell group uni, the UCL and Durham lot type.
liarpoker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roshniroxy)
First year I got a 2.1 in all modules except property (56). Second year I've done even worse in property (63). It's dragging down my average massively, tort also 2.2 (58 and very surprised). I did well in contract last year (66). This year it went like this: 68,65, 58, 53

I'm at a good Russell group uni, the UCL and Durham lot type.
Some people won't agree, but if I were in your position, I would play the numbers game.

3/8 modules being at 2.2 level doesn't look great, but if you're strong elsewhere, you should get interviews.

Have you thought about sending any straight TC apps this year? - and then sending winter vac schemes apps if unsuccessful.
Roshniroxy
Rep:
?
(Original post by liarpoker)
Some people won't agree, but if I were in your position, I would play the numbers game.

3/8 modules being at 2.2 level doesn't look great, but if you're strong elsewhere, you should get interviews.

Have you thought about sending any straight TC apps this year? - and then sending winter vac schemes apps if unsuccessful.
My chances of getting TC's are probably slim right? I was thinking with vac schemes by then I can build up commercial law knowledge (as that's one of my modules next year).

What firms would you recommend?
liarpoker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Roshniroxy)
My chances of getting TC's are probably slim right? I was thinking with vac schemes by then I can build up commercial law knowledge (as that's one of my modules next year).

What firms would you recommend?
I think it depends - do you have much/any legal work experience to date? (if you don't, then it might be best to wait for winter workshops to allow you to confirm whether it's the right industry. Being a law students gives you a little more leeway, so it's possible to secure a TC without a formal vac scheme.

Most firms operate in cycles, so many firms would allow you to apply for a winter workshop even if your TC app was rejected in this cycle.

With a low 2.1 from somewhere like Durham/UCL, I don't think any firms aside from a few of the MC and some US shops would not warrant an application.

I would think firms like W&C, Travers, NRF, HSF, Mayer Brown would be a good place to start.Even some of the MC are less concerned about how 'strong' the 2.1 is. Have you got a particular type of firm in mind?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads