The Student Room Group

Which starting workout routine should i do?

I've read the faq. SS and SL seem to have a lot of bad reviews online. I've looked at AllPro too and it gets ****ted on here.

I was wondering if Fierce 5 is a good routine for an absolute beginner.

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B
Front Squat 3x5
Incline Bench 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset
You been looking at BB. com? That's fairly normal for the misc etc as All Pro is a well known member.

SS/ SL is fine for a beginner however as is well documented; upper body hypertrophy is lacking. I did SS when I started and I still build decent upper body muscle on the pendlay row/ chin variant

Fierce 5 is again fine don't get me wrong, it covers most bases; but it is not ideal imo, but then again all programmes have their pros and cons. I don't like the Romanian deadlift tbh; I find it awkward to learn and I don't see any benefit over a conventional deadlift.

Why have you decided against ICF5x5? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Angry cucumber
You been looking at BB. com? That's fairly normal for the misc etc as All Pro is a well known member.

SS/ SL is fine for a beginner however as is well documented; upper body hypertrophy is lacking. I did SS when I started and I still build decent upper body muscle on the pendlay row/ chin variant

Fierce 5 is again fine don't get me wrong, it covers most bases; but it is not ideal imo, but then again all programmes have their pros and cons. I don't like the Romanian deadlift tbh; I find it awkward to learn and I don't see any benefit over a conventional deadlift.

Why have you decided against ICF5x5? :smile:

Saw a lot of **** against Jason Blaha.

What do you think about BabyLovers modified SS program?

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chins 15-20 total reps, add weight or use assisted.
Rows 3x5 SUPER STRICT.
Optional: Cable rows, 3x8 bicep work, 3x8 rear delt flyes, do this at your own discretion. If you don't feel like it, don't worry

B
Front squat 3x5
MP 3x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Optional: 15-20 reps of dips, 3x8 tricep work
Original post by chelseafan

You've been on the misc. The programme is probably better for most people to start with due to the more hypertrophy; his new programme is decent too. The misc hate is just personal as Blaha stirred up trouble with other youtubers and on bb .com before he got banned.

What do you think about BabyLovers modified SS program?

A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Chins 15-20 total reps, add weight or use assisted.
Rows 3x5 SUPER STRICT.
Optional: Cable rows, 3x8 bicep work, 3x8 rear delt flyes, do this at your own discretion. If you don't feel like it, don't worry

B
Front squat 3x5
MP 3x5
Deadlifts 1x5
Optional: 15-20 reps of dips, 3x8 tricep work

Yeah again it's fine, there's nothing wrong with it. Rows don't need to be superstrict; as long as your back stays safe, form is less of a problem and there's a dozen way of doing them. Quite a lot of guys do Yates style on here, I prefer pendlays, my gf does Ed Coan style etc

For dips if your shoulders/ elbows can do them then I would do 3 x 8-12. So once you get 12 reps, you up the weight. For chins I'd probs start with trying to be able to do 8-10 reps with bodyweight in a set, then start adding weight. Doing something like 3x5 to 5x5. But it's up to you tbh. For your A accessory, facepulls would be my choice

Choosing a routine is personal, so it's up to you tbh! :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
You'll make good progress on any lifting routine as a beginner.

I'd say the advantages of Fierce 5 over a popular routine like ICF 5x5 is that the progression and balance is still very good but you aren't spending so much time in the gym. I did Fierce 5's novice routine when I wasn't even an absolute beginner and I still made serious gains. I am now on the Fierce 5 intermediate u/l.

You can still do a conventional deadlift with Fierce 5 I believe, by swapping out the front squat and RDL from workout B for a conventional deadlift and leg curls.
You need to start thinking about what these routines have in common, and how that fits your goals.
Reply 6
Original post by SEHughes
You need to start thinking about what these routines have in common, and how that fits your goals.

I think ill be cutting to begin with. Im skinny fat right now.

Which routine do you think suits that?
Reply 7
I think the moral of the story is mostly that lots of people say everything is **** on the interest whilst some other people say it's great. Also there's a million variations of everything which change the little things but you're a noob, the little things don't matter

I don't like fierce because you'll probably not to Romanians well, you need to learn to deadlift first, and there's a good chance you don't have the mobility to front squat reasonably well. Same with front squat on BabyLovers, get comfortable back squatting then you can consider your mobility, make improvements as needed then learn to front squat
Reply 9
protien shakes
Original post by chelseafan

I have done both SL and ICF..I started SL than quit the gym for over a year due to A-Levels,the next time I started ICF 5x5 and the gains I made were far greater than SL. The only disadvantage is you have to spend more time at the gym but its totally worth it.
Original post by muf_mur
I have done both SL and ICF..I started SL than quit the gym for over a year due to A-Levels,the next time I started ICF 5x5 and the gains I made were far greater than SL. The only disadvantage is you have to spend more time at the gym but its totally worth it.

Think I'll go with ICF. Thanks.
Cutting is not about your workout routine... Make sure you're diet is good and do your cardio after your weight training!
Original post by donalexandro
Cutting is not about your workout routine... Make sure you're diet is good and do your cardio after your weight training!

Yeah im aware. Diet is the most imporant thing. I was just a bit confused because im a beginner and theres quite a few starting routines out there.
You haven't said why you think those routines will fit your goals.

Quick Reply