The Student Room Group

biochemistry-books

I want to do biochemistry but I don't do biology but it's not compulsory but university looks for knowledge of biology so is there any books anyone can recommend that I should read so I can have some understanding of biology and any other books that I should read for biochemistry?
Have a look at some first year reading lists to get some ideas. When I was an undergrad it was Alberts Molecular biology of the cell and Voet biochem.

When did you stop studying biology? If you've only done it to GCSE level you may struggle.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Have a look at some first year reading lists to get some ideas. When I was an undergrad it was Alberts Molecular biology of the cell and Voet biochem.

When did you stop studying biology? If you've only done it to GCSE level you may struggle.

yeah i've only studied for gcse..
Original post by Dulanjala12
yeah i've only studied for gcse..

I was in a similar boat, I covered biochemistry as part of my access course but hadn't touched the subject since my GCSEs 10 years ago. I would recommend checking out Khan Academy, their introductory videos are very detailed and saw me through the course. The CGP books were also a good means for learning to identify functional groups, with a little bit on NMR spectroscopy.
Reply 4
Original post by lledrith
I was in a similar boat, I covered biochemistry as part of my access course but hadn't touched the subject since my GCSEs 10 years ago. I would recommend checking out Khan Academy, their introductory videos are very detailed and saw me through the course. The CGP books were also a good means for learning to identify functional groups, with a little bit on NMR spectroscopy.

thank you so much, i will check it out. Hopefully it'll help.

Quick Reply