Ideas on How to Spend Summer Break in the UK?

Watch
Pizza Muncher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi.

I'm an international undergrad student here in the UK, and we have our summer break now.

Anyways, I thought that instead of going back home for the summer and doing absolutely nothing but sit at home and watch tv, I would just spend the summer in the UK and do something worthwhile.

Only problem is, I have no idea what to do. My university is in a really remote part of the UK, so in the holidays its pretty dead around here and I would not like to stay over here for the summer. I thought about staying at a backpackers hostel in London and spend the summer over there but I just found out that many of them have a maximum stay of 1 or 2 weeks, and since I have much luggage and a big laptop to carry around, its not going to be practical to keep moving from hostel to hostel and live in such rough conditions for 3 months.

I thought about renting a studio flat in London and finding a part time job to pay off the rent, but the flats in central London are super expensive.

I thought about joining a summer program in the Army, because accommodation, food and everything is paid for, and it sounds like fun. But I can't seem to find any relevant program for the summer.

And I can't seem to find any summer camps in the Uk either that need volunteers.

Anybody have any ideas how I can spend the 3 months over here, while being cost effective and not spending too much cash on accommodation?

Are there any opportunities in the UK similar to summer camp where accommodation is provided in exchange for working hours?

And are there any possiblities at all to do something in the army or RAF, similar to a summer program?
username1799249
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How about something like this?
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holi...king-holidays/

or this
http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/planatri...he-uk?page=all

Slightly more countryside oriented than city oriented. Also, London is not the only city in the UK. Have you considered setting up camp in Birmingham, Manchester or Glasgow.

One of the wonders of the UK is that for such a small place, it has a huge diversity of landscapes and countryside. To limit yourself to a large city would be to do an injustice.

Good luck!
Pizza Muncher
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
How about something like this?
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holi...king-holidays/

or this
http://www.wanderlust.co.uk/planatri...he-uk?page=all

Slightly more countryside oriented than city oriented. Also, London is not the only city in the UK. Have you considered setting up camp in Birmingham, Manchester or Glasgow.

One of the wonders of the UK is that for such a small place, it has a huge diversity of landscapes and countryside. To limit yourself to a large city would be to do an injustice.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I need something more city oriented
Sancte
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Eat mumsy's food?
Pizza Muncher
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saint Libra)
Eat mumsy's food?

Read the post, I'm trying to figure out ways how to spend the summer over here in the UK, rather than going back to my home country for the summer.
Sancte
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Pizza Muncher)
Read the post, I'm trying to figure out ways how to spend the summer over here in the UK, rather than going back to my home country for the summer.
1. Study
As an international student you could always try to find a summer university course to meet new people, study new disciplines and just have a good time. These are often ridiculously expensive, however, and it may be too late to apply for most of them.

2. Internship
Everyone's default university path in recent years, internships can help you build and maintain a network of people in your chosen field. Securing internships can be very competitive, however, and I find the majority at undergraduate level are either unpaid or cover expenses only.

3. Work at University
Many international students look for ways to work at either their universities or student unions over the summer as these offer a familiar and often welcoming environment, sometimes with people you know. See if you find any vacancies, if you are eligible to work you may even be able to make some extra money before the next academic year.

4. Work locally
The obvious alternative would be to find work locally. Whether you need to pay the rent or make a few extra quid, you could always try and look for a job - again, provided you're eligible to work. This does not not necessarily need to be for your CV, but perhaps more just for your personal experience and to have a proper life to lead off term time.
Pizza Muncher
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saint Libra)
1. Study
As an international student you could always try to find a summer university course to meet new people, study new disciplines and just have a good time. These are often ridiculously expensive, however, and it may be too late to apply for most of them.

2. Internship
Everyone's default university path in recent years, internships can help you build and maintain a network of people in your chosen field. Securing internships can be very competitive, however, and I find the majority at undergraduate level are either unpaid or cover expenses only.

3. Work at University
Many international students look for ways to work at either their universities or student unions over the summer as these offer a familiar and often welcoming environment, sometimes with people you know. See if you find any vacancies, if you are eligible to work you may even be able to make some extra money before the next academic year.

4. Work locally
The obvious alternative would be to find work locally. Whether you need to pay the rent or make a few extra quid, you could always try and look for a job - again, provided you're eligible to work. This does not not necessarily need to be for your CV, but perhaps more just for your personal experience and to have a proper life to lead off term time.
Yep the work locally option is a good one. Unfortunately my university is situated in a really remote part of the UK, so I'm still figuring out how I can secure accommodation in a bigger city like London or Birmingham and then go there any personally apply for part time jobs.
Prodigy Living
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey Pizza,

You should be able to stay in student accommodation for the summer period - even if you're working. You are able to stay in any of our locations (for a minimum two weeks), and gives you the chance to try different cities.
I imagine this would be the same for most accommodation providers
lewif002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Either work at the Uni and ask to keep accommodation at the uni over summer... Orrrr... Work at a local place and rent a room out with others. If you're sharing with other internationals you'll probably be able to get a room for like £70 per week. Food will be like £30 per week. Travel like £30 per week. So you need a job which will pay at least £150 per week to be safe. At minimum wage that's 30 hours per week. Easy peasy. Apply for lots of local jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.47%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.25%
No I am happy with my choice (115)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.73%

Watched Threads