rabbits69
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone

Im currently studying law at westminster uni and i just finished my year with a 2.2 (54% overall). For my alevels i got BBC.

Ive been looking into transferring into another uni for the second year (one outside of london) but the search isnt going too well.

I was also thinking of maybe dropping out to resit my alevels and get a better grade and then reapply for unis next year but i feel like that would be such a waste of the money ive already spent. Plus i know that my family and some of my friends would not be very supportive because im already studying in uni and they would see that as taking a step backwards.

I would appreciate any help for transfers or for maybe redoing my alevels.

This has been on my mind for a very long time but truthfully i have been feeling too scared to try to transfer or drop out.

Thank you
lewif002
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Definitely wouldn't advise resorting A-Levels. That'd put you back THREE years! Plus there's no point really re-sitting A-Levels. All that could do is get you in to a better uni, but getting into a better uni won't make your 2:2 all of a sudden into a 1st. Trust me.

You could probably get a transfer to a different uni for your second year but damn you need to act fast. You need to make TELEPHONE CALLS (instant response) TODAY. Not tomorrow. Id advise this over resorting A-Levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Roving Fish
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have you followed up why you've been getting lower grades with your tutor and any academic support?

I would definitely say no to going back to A Levels, no point and they're a lot harder now (i.e. not modular anymore).

Do your research and start contacting universities now. Most would just lay down the condition of passing the year, which you have.

As stated above, this will not automatically improve your grades - you need to put the effort and extra effort needed.
Claire062
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would also say no to going backwards - I've been in a similar situation myself (I wasn't in Uni, but I stopped myself from going in order to do another A level, but it didn't improve anything).

Look at what you've got already; you've got good A levels, you've completed your first year and you've got a 2:2 - that's not a fail! You'll get into the next year, which is all you need at this stage.

You need to focus on what you're doing now, and on getting good results for the coming terms. Don't compare yourself to others or consider another route will make everything better, otherwise you might end up going in circles your whole life and never getting anywhere or achieving anything.

At the end of the day, it's your own decision - but I think it would be a waste to give up everything you've achieved already.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (813)
42.34%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.69%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads