The official thread for final year university students. Watch

mijo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

2 years ago I graduated from my University with a 2.1 in Economics. But I shouldn't have. If you haven't read my success story on TSR here :http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2423861

on what happened in my final year, I failed several units in second year leading me to final year with a borderline third class.

I needed a strong first class to graduate with a 2.1 degree.

My lecturers and tutors told me this was impossible, personally the maximum I had ever achieved in my University time was a 2.1 in one unit, all other units were either 2.2, 3rds or fails. The odds were completely against me but in the end I pulled through taking simple methodological steps.

I understand the struggle of final year. Stress, anxiety, fear , working so hard but don't know if your on the right track, panic and so on. Its a different ball game from the other years because it is the last leg in the long marathon of your educational experience, one slip up and everything is screwed.

All these years from prep school, to gcse, a levels and now this is it! You can and will finish strong. That is why I have created a thread for this special group of students.

Since sharing my story I have been able to mentor and inspire university students some have done very well achieving 1st class others overcoming a 2nd year deficit to graduate with a 2.1.

I have created this thread to create a platform for final year students to get advice, support and insight so that they can graduate with the degree they dream of. For many of you this is a 1st class.

From time to time I will post information from my research into my experience, speaking to top students and mentoring as well. I also encourage experienced graduates to input their wisdom .

In the meantime feel free to ask any questions. I started this thread early before the semester because I understand the importance of preparation for the final year just like pre-season.

Don't leave final year with regrets anything is possible.
meme12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why you didn't think to transfer to another university , would that help just thinking
mijo
Rep:
?
(Original post by meme12)
Why you didn't think to transfer to another university , would that help just thinking
Hey Meme can you explain your question im not sure I understood. Do you mean why didn't I transfer in second year?
accountant-future
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mijo)
Hey guys,

2 years ago I graduated from my University with a 2.1 in Economics. But I shouldn't have. If you haven't read my success story on TSR on what happened in my final year, I failed several units in second year leading me to final year with a borderline third class.

I needed a strong first class to graduate with a 2.1 degree.

My lecturers and tutors told me this was impossible, personally the maximum I had ever achieved in my University time was a 2.1 in one unit, all other units were either 2.2, 3rds or fails. The odds were completely against me but in the end I pulled through taking simple methodological steps.

I understand the struggle of final year.Stress, anxiety, fear , working so hard but don't know if your on the right track, panic and so on. Its a different ball game from the other years because it is the last leg in the long marathon of your educational experience, one slip up and everything is screwed.

All these years from prep school, to gcse, a levels and now this is it! You can and will finish strong. That is why I have created a thread for this special group of students.

Since sharing my story I have been able to mentor and inspire university students some have done very well achieving 1st class others overcoming a 2nd year deficit to graduate with a 2.1. One thing I have realised is that there is a pattern/formula for success you don't have to reinvent the wheel just follow success.

I have created this thread to create a platform for final year students to get advice, support and insight so that they can graduate with the degree they dream of. For many of you this is a 1st class.

From time to time I will post information from my research into my experience, speaking to top students and mentoring as well. I also encourage experienced graduates to input their wisdom .

In the meantime feel free to ask any questions. I started this thread early before the semester because I understand the importance of preparation for the final year just like pre-season.

Don't leave final year with regrets anything is possible.
Well done

I've just found out I'm set to officially graduate in 2 weeks with a First Class Honours in Accounting & Finance.

I found that revising solid a month before exam time really made it easier to prepare and not cram it all in the night before. Another tip I'd put forward is to not revise late into the night the day before the exam...need a lot of sleep just before that exam (whether it be a morning or an afternoon one)

I'm really going to miss university, but I guess it's time to officially grow up and leave education for a full time job
mijo
Rep:
?
(Original post by accountant-future)
Well done

I've just found out I'm set to officially graduate in 2 weeks with a First Class Honours in Accounting & Finance.

I found that revising solid a month before exam time really made it easier to prepare and not cram it all in the night before. Another tip I'd put forward is to not revise late into the night the day before the exam...need a lot of sleep just before that exam (whether it be a morning or an afternoon one)

I'm really going to miss university, but I guess it's time to officially grow up and leave education for a full time job
Hey fantastic work congratulations,

Can you possibly elaborate on a few things for the sake of other people looking to get first class marks in final year:

1) What was your mind-set going into final year in terms of approaching your work etc?

2) How did you manage stress, anxiety, depression, motivational issues and other emotional ups and downs?

3) What did your average "routine" on a day to day basis look like include people you hang out with etc?

4) What was the biggest problem/sticking point you had and how did you overcome this?

5) What is the number one factor you believe contributed to your success?

Thanks a lot for your help
smiler93
Badges: 0
Report 4 years ago
Congrats to those of you about to graduate! For those who may not be sure about the type of work they want to go into, or unsure on what they want from an employer, completing my dissertation questionnaire may actually help you (as well as being a massive help to me, obviously)!
I would really appreciate it if any undergraduate students graduating this year (or next) could take 5 minutes to fill in this questionnaire. It can be a great self-awareness tool to get you thinking about the sort of qualities you're looking for from your first job once you've finished with uni, which can help you to target potential jobs/employers. Thanks so much!
bit.ly/1fJ5L18
mijo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How to write first class essays part 1:

I understand that writing first class essays really holds a lot of students back from achieving their goals. I was in a similar situation but luckily I broke the curse and in final year managed to back mid 70's first class marks in my essay based modules both in term time and exam pressure.

Since I have limited words per reply on TSR I will post them on separate posts in this thread.

So here's what I did to change from third class essays to first class essays:

STEP #1: Just find patterns in other first class essays

The #1 thing I recommend is to get access first class essays written by students on your course and literally try and find patterns. What does the marker keep giving them extra marks for and even what can be improved? Then compare these to your own essays. Maybe you notice you aren't using enough references, maybe you notice that you essays aren't long enough or deep enough. By modelling successful student's essays you can literally replicate their success. You don’t have to copy their style word for word just look for patterns and replicate the patterns with your own “flair” and “unique” twist.

There is no point trying to reinvent the wheel especially in your crucial years, so ask for help. When I started hanging around students who consistently produced first class essays, I soaked up their energy and mindset when it came to writing their essays. As soon as I adopted their pattern of thinking I was able to produce similar results.
Writing first class essays is all about speaking directly to the examiner. If you can figure out what they want by looking at other students first class essays then you can deliver quality to them time and time again.

This was a major adjustment I made in my final year that really helped me achieve my grad degree dream.
mijo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago

STEP #2: Analyse the essay question wordings

If its time written exam ornon-timed. Technique and strategy is very different. The key point is to givethe examiner so much value in a coherent structure that they have no choice butto give you maximum marks.

But in general there are similar key components. So i would begin by reallylooking at the question for example one of my term essays in final year i got75% the question began:

“The greater the inequality of wealth and income, the higher the rate oftaxation, and the lower growth.” Discuss this statement using empiricalEvidence.

I already know that the question was deliberately designed and every componentis there for a reason. Immediately i would highlight the key words/phrases inthe question, "inequality", "wealth", "income" ,"rate of taxation", "growth" . Then I would highlight thekey command i.e discuss, evaluate, examine, explain etc.

Ive seen "discuss" many times and i know that it means the examineris asking for a two sided discussion. For and against arguments with a wellrounded conclusion at the end. In this case use of empirical evidence isnecessary to supporting both sides.
Aaliyah_93
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'm doing exams for accounting and finance in a months time have you got any techniques for revising the advanced financial reporting and taxation exam?
Aaliyah_93
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, I'm doing my final exams in a month any techniques you used to study the advanced financial reporting and taxation exam?
Well done

Well done

elekro
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mijo)

I understand that writing first class essays really holds a lot of students back from achieving their goals. I was in a similar situation but luckily I broke the curse and in final year managed to back mid 70's first class marks in my essay based modules both in term time and exam pressure.

Since I have limited words per reply on TSR I will post them on separate posts in this thread.

So here's what I did to change from third class essays to first class essays:

STEP #1: Just find patterns in other first class essays

The #1 thing I recommend is to get access first class essays written by students on your course and literally try and find patterns. What does the marker keep giving them extra marks for and even what can be improved? Then compare these to your own essays. Maybe you notice you aren't using enough references, maybe you notice that you essays aren't long enough or deep enough. By modelling successful student's essays you can literally replicate their success. You don’t have to copy their style word for word just look for patterns and replicate the patterns with your own “flair” and “unique” twist.

There is no point trying to reinvent the wheel especially in your crucial years, so ask for help. When I started hanging around students who consistently produced first class essays, I soaked up their energy and mindset when it came to writing their essays. As soon as I adopted their pattern of thinking I was able to produce similar results.
Writing first class essays is all about speaking directly to the examiner. If you can figure out what they want by looking at other students first class essays then you can deliver quality to them time and time again.

This was a major adjustment I made in my final year that really helped me achieve my grad degree dream.

That's great advice that's pretty much how I've managed to pass 1st and 2nd year of uni with minimum studying. But the problem is HOW do you get access to others' first class essays? :/
FailedTeacher
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In similar fashion, I failed my 2nd year, transferred to a different uni and a different course (but within the same field I guess) and went on to get a First Class. Some of my essays hit above 80% and I even did a masters module over night (seriously, 5000 words, one night) and achieved 71%. I acquired over a short amount of time an ability to write effect essays and self-motivate myself to do so.

I am here to support anyone in their final year if they wish to speak through this thread or PM me.
Aaliyah199322
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi sounds like you must naturally have the skills to attain high grades. I really need help, I'm currently in my final year and have achieved a 2.1 for my first 3 exams I took in January. Now, I still have the entire of semester 2 left with about 75 credits to go that is 4 modules and I have been so determined to get a first class I never knew how to do it so this year I went in university with a 'first class' mentality so to get a 2.1 so far isn't so bad but I really want a first class any tips and do you think it's possible ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.71%
Excited (151)
9.01%
Worried (303)
18.08%
Terrified (375)
22.37%
Meh (155)
9.25%
Confused (37)
2.21%