The Student Room Group

Are you afraid of death?

Scroll to see replies

Two excellent quotes about death that I love, which I believe are appropriate for this thread:

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die, because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will, in fact, never see the light of day, outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA, so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here. We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds; how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?” - Richard Dawkins

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.” - Mark Twain
Death is one of those things that can't be avoided. So instead of being scared of it, you should use that energy to prepare for it. InshaAllah azzawajal! :biggrin:
I find death a little bit scary. I can't imagine not existing and I can't imagine my family not existing. I can't get my head around the whole thing and it really freaks me out way more than it probably should.

Original post by lllllllllll
Yeah, everyday.

Having put myself into computer science I feel like my life will end very shortly. Our field is a live fast die young field, 10 years after we graduate in CompSci everything we learnt at uni will become obsolete and have been replaced by newer content. If we don't make it while we're young it really is game over for us.

I think you missed the point of your degree. We should be prepared for those changes. We know our main set of skills and we just apply them to whatever new challenge comes along.
Original post by Mochassassin
Nope.

That is a LIE. We have no idea what happens when we die
I just hope it's not painful :s-smilie:
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I find death a little bit scary. I can't imagine not existing and I can't imagine my family not existing. I can't get my head around the whole thing and it really freaks me out way more than it probably should.

I think you missed the point of your degree. We should be prepared for those changes. We know our main set of skills and we just apply them to whatever new challenge comes along.

What if you don't want to learn the new material
Reply 46
Original post by K.C
i'm immortal

You willing to put your money where your mouth is and test that theory?
Original post by r_u_jelly
What if you don't want to learn the new material

It's not really new material though. Once you know the basic skills you just apply them to the new situations. I know OOP so therefore I can grab a language quickly. I'm brilliant at functional languages so I know I can pick them up. Give me a puzzle to solve and I'll throw what I know at it. It's just theory we pick up at uni. It's no different than any other career. We just develop what we know to go further. It definitely doesn't mean you either make it young or you're screwed :tongue:
Original post by yeti8
I used to be terrified of death when I was younger. I would worry about going to bed at the night incase I wouldn't wake up the next day.
But now I actually look forward to it. It seems so peaceful and worried free.

Basically when you dead you don't suffer and don't care about anything. Anything you have done in your life becomes completely irrelevant to you.

Right now, I'd say no. If I came into a situation where there was a gun at my head we'll have to see, but I'd like to think that I wouldn't be afraid. I've never been in that situation before though.
Reply 49
Original post by saeed97
You willing to put your money where your mouth is and test that theory?

i've already tested it :colone:
Original post by r_u_jelly
That is a LIE. We have no idea what happens when we die

It's not a lie. Why should I let the unknown scare me? If the afterlife exists and something awful happens, I'll worry about that when I get there. No point letting it get in the way of me living my life.
Reply 51
Original post by yeti8
I used to be terrified of death when I was younger. I would worry about going to bed at the night incase I wouldn't wake up the next day.
But now I actually look forward to it. It seems so peaceful and worried free.

Basically when you dead you don't suffer and don't care about anything. Anything you have done in your life becomes completely irrelevant to you.

I used to be the same! When I was younger I hated going to bed for that reason.

Although I'm not afraid of death, I don't relish the thought of it like you seem to. It is what it is - the full stop at the end of a sentence. Just live your life in whatever way you can to make yourself happy and enjoy it while you can. Death comes for us all. It's inevitable. No point giving it any great deal of thought beforehand, wasting life thinking about death is akin to wasting the day worrying about the night.
I never used to be scared of death until I started to get panic attacks and felt like I was dying on a regular basis. Before them, I suppose I never thought about death much and that's why I felt no fear.
Reply 53
"Every soul shall taste death" [Quran 3:185]
Nah
Nope not at all. I just hope the moments leading up to it don't hurt.
Reply 56
I don't know about the world beyond
No because it's inevitable.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It's not really new material though. Once you know the basic skills you just apply them to the new situations. I know OOP so therefore I can grab a language quickly. I'm brilliant at functional languages so I know I can pick them up. Give me a puzzle to solve and I'll throw what I know at it. It's just theory we pick up at uni. It's no different than any other career. We just develop what we know to go further. It definitely doesn't mean you either make it young or you're screwed :tongue:

What if you only understood half the theory
Original post by Mochassassin
It's not a lie. Why should I let the unknown scare me? If the afterlife exists and something awful happens, I'll worry about that when I get there. No point letting it get in the way of me living my life.

Satan will be there in hell if you've done wrong. Worship god just to be safe!

Quick Reply

Latest