Tiffany0596
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am aware that all universities are different and midwifery is very competitive but I was wondering if anyone knows if I would be considered to do midwifery with BTEC science at school at distinction star grade instead off GCSE science. Also if English, psychology and business would be appropriate a levels to take in September
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tiffany0596)
I am aware that all universities are different and midwifery is very competitive but I was wondering if anyone knows if I would be considered to do midwifery with BTEC science at school at distinction star grade instead off GCSE science. Also if English, psychology and business would be appropriate a levels to take in September
You d have to ask if they take equivalences to GCSEs as not every uni takes them. Have you considered doing biology or chemistry?
Tiffany0596
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
You d have to ask if they take equivalences to GCSEs as not every uni takes them. Have you considered doing biology or chemistry?
I am 18, I have asked colleges in my area and they want me to be 19 and I don't really want to put off going to uni another year but obviously if I had to do biology to get in, I would ☺️
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am 18, I have asked colleges in my area and they want me to be 19 and I don't really want to put off going to uni another year but obviously if I had to do biology to get in, I would ☺️
You could take a science GCSEs by distance learning? Biology would help massively or possibly applied science if you could do that
Tiffany0596
Rep:
?
You could take a science GCSEs by distance learning? Biology would help massively or possibly applied science if you could do that
Is distance learning online?
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is distance learning online?
it can be or you could just teach yourself then just pay to sit the exam
Tiffany0596
Rep:
?
it can be or you could just teach yourself then just pay to sit the exam
Do you sit the exam with other people doing the same thing or take it in a school?
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
Report 6 years ago
Out of interest, can you still become a nurse without a science GCSE but through other courses like Health and social care BTEC level 3(equivalent to two A levels)

or does this depend on what king of nurse you want to become?

I am particularly interested in children's nursing and mental health nursing.

Any information/advice will be great and helpful.

Edit: the A levels: Health and social care, Philosophy and ethics, Sociology.
Tiffany0596
Rep:
?
(Original post by 08Mercyf)
Out of interest, can you still become a nurse without a science GCSE but through other courses like Health and social care BTEC level 3(equivalent to two A levels)

I am particularly interested in children's nurses and mental health nursing.

Adult nursing and mental health nursing is much easier to get into than midwifery and children's nursing as they're less in demand, for example the Anglia Ruskin university in Cambridge doesn't ask for a science GCSE for adult nursing but does in children's and midwifery
Blackstarr
Report 6 years ago
Adult nursing and mental health nursing is much easier to get into than midwifery and children's nursing as they're less in demand, for example the Anglia Ruskin university in Cambridge doesn't ask for a science GCSE for adult nursing but does in children's and midwifery
Thanks for your reply and out of interest, why is that?
Tiffany0596
Rep:
?
I honestly have no idea I'm not going to lie! All I know is midwifery and children's nursing tend to have less places therefore up the entry requirements so there's not as many applicants
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I am particularly interested in children's nursing and mental health nursing.

Edit: the A levels: Health and social care, Philosophy and ethics, Sociology.
i m starting in september and they didnt specifically say i had to have it actually but i think there are some unis may ask for it but would say it would certainly help. Generally all applicants tend to have it and you have to have your english and maths gcse at C and 3 other gcses at a C or above.

Those a good a level choices for nursing, most unis dont ask for specific subjects except the ones at the very top of the league table which ask for an a level in a science but thats only like 5 unis in the country.

I m going to be doing mental health nursing so might be able to help there, as for childrens they will be stricter on entry requirements as theres much less places than the other branches.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
mental health has half the places of adult but still easier i suppose:P
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you sit the exam with other people doing the same thing or take it in a school?
you can take it in any exam centre that will have you
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
generally, theres a lot less placements for child and midwifery students so cant have anywhere near as many places as the other branches
Tiffany0596
Rep:
?
mental health has half the places of adult but still easier i suppose:P
I think it's just because they're just less in demand than children's and midwifery? I could be wrong only going by what I've been told haha
Blackstarr
Report 6 years ago
I honestly have no idea I'm not going to lie! All I know is midwifery and children's nursing tend to have less places therefore up the entry requirements so there's not as many applicants
Thanks for being honest in your replies.
Blackstarr
Report 6 years ago
generally, theres a lot less placements for child and midwifery students so cant have anywhere near as many places as the other branches
Thanks for your reply.
Blackstarr
Report 6 years ago
i m starting in september and they didnt specifically say i had to have it actually but i think there are some unis may ask for it but would say it would certainly help. Generally all applicants tend to have it and you have to have your english and maths gcse at C and 3 other gcses at a C or above.

Those a good a level choices for nursing, most unis dont ask for specific subjects except the ones at the very top of the league table which ask for an a level in a science but thats only like 5 unis in the country.

I m going to be doing mental health nursing so might be able to help there, as for childrens they will be stricter on entry requirements as theres much less places than the other branches.
Thanks once again.
Blackstarr
Report 6 years ago
Just to clarify, are you doing mental health nursing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads