The Student Room Group

ACCA exemptions- should I use them

I did a university course which gives me exemptions for the first 9 ACCA papers. Its been two years since I graduated and i've only just landed a graduate scheme in a relevant field. Now it's been 2 years since I graduated and another couple of years since I studied the modules which I have exemptions for. Naturally I've forgotten pretty much everything that I learnt.

My question is should I use the exemptions and spread out the last 6 exams over my 3 year graduate scheme or should I do them all again and actually understand them and shake off the huge amount of rust?
Reply 1
Original post by blue n white army
I did a university course which gives me exemptions for the first 9 ACCA papers. Its been two years since I graduated and i've only just landed a graduate scheme in a relevant field. Now it's been 2 years since I graduated and another couple of years since I studied the modules which I have exemptions for. Naturally I've forgotten pretty much everything that I learnt.

My question is should I use the exemptions and spread out the last 6 exams over my 3 year graduate scheme or should I do them all again and actually understand them and shake off the huge amount of rust?

Dont use exemptions. The exams are hard as it is, if you dont have the basics you will have a hard time, as you mentioned you have forgotten everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by 2710
Dont use exemptions. The exams are hard as it is, if you dont have the basics you will have a hard time, as you mentioned you have forgotten everything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Terrible, terrible advice.

OP, take the exemptions. Search this forum, see how many times this question is asked, the answer is always the same. If you're rusty on the content, relearn the content. Why on earth would you take 9 additional risks of failing and getting kicked out? Always take the exemptions.
Reply 3
Original post by M1011

OP, take the exemptions. Search this forum, see how many times this question is asked, the answer is always the same. If you're rusty on the content, relearn the content. Why on earth would you take 9 additional risks of failing and getting kicked out? Always take the exemptions.

I have already explained why he should risk it. It is an investment.

And tbh i am talking from an ACA point of view. Maybe in the ACCA you could get away with doing the later papers knowing hardly anything, but with the ACA it will be a struggle. And on such a subjective topic i would not be so brazen as to brand an opposing view 'terrible advice'.

Not all companies have a policy like that. Lloyds will not kick you out for example (ACA again), but of course if there is some kind of hurdle policy that needs to be factored in.

Not to mention that the social side of college is quite fun too! You'd be missing out on your intake, dependent on how your company is structured.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by M1011

Original post by 2710

And tbh i am talking from an ACA point of view. Maybe in the ACCA you could get away with doing the later papers knowing hardly anything, but with the ACA it will be a struggle. And on such a subjective topic i would not be so brazen as to brand an opposing view 'terrible advice'.

Not all companies have a policy like that. Lloyds will not kick you out for example (ACA again), but of course if there is some kind of hurdle policy that needs to be factored in.

Not to mention that the social side of college is quite fun too! You'd be missing out on your intake, dependent on how your company is structured.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks both.

I had my induction week and got 50/50 advice on the issue. My line manager said that if I wasnt bothered about how long it would take me then to resit them but my exam manager and another senior member in my team said to take them. Spread the last 6 exams out of 2 or 3 years and not give myself the stress.

The college side of things, whilst it would be good to make some new friends I think I might choose the training centre which is in my old uni city so could use it as an opportunity to catch up with a few course mates.

Also I was thinking about just revising for F1-F9 and not doing the exams although if I have no exam I wonder if i'll have the motivation.
Reply 5
Original post by 2710

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not an explanation. It's a risk (and a lot of stress), pure and simple. He can learn the content without taking 9 additional exams. There's risks regardless of the company he trains with - not to mention a bad fail policy imposed by ACCA itself (well, there is for ACA).

Frankly you're assumed benefits don't stack up against the cost.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending