The Student Room Group

Feel down because I don't go to a top uni

So I last year I dropped out of LSE because I hated my course. I don't really regret my decision because I was miserable. I managed to get a place at Queen Mary through clearing and although it's not perfect, I much prefer my course here. I just feel incredibly insecure about being here though. Most people I speak to haven't heard of it and I'm worried what future employers will think. I feel like a pathetic brat writing this but I've got a bit upset over this lately and I don't know why. I am coming off antidepressants at the moment so I do feel kind of emotional generally but I've never had such negative thoughts before. Any advice?
employers are only interested in the skills you have acquired, not the piece of paper (the degree). don't worry about it
Reply 2
Queen mary isn't even that bad. :s-smilie:

I went to a really low ranked uni but have recieved an employment offer in my field and will be graduating this year. I know people who went to better uni's for the same course but cant find jobs. So employers really dont care about your uni reputation as long as you receive a 2:1 or first. As for your peers stop giving a crap about what others think...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
So I last year I dropped out of LSE because I hated my course. I don't really regret my decision because I was miserable. I managed to get a place at Queen Mary through clearing and although it's not perfect, I much prefer my course here. I just feel incredibly insecure about being here though. Most people I speak to haven't heard of it and I'm worried what future employers will think. I feel like a pathetic brat writing this but I've got a bit upset over this lately and I don't know why. I am coming off antidepressants at the moment so I do feel kind of emotional generally but I've never had such negative thoughts before. Any advice?

What course at LSE did you drop out of? and, if you don't mind me asking, why was it so bad?
Better to go to a "lesser" uni and get a decent grade, than to go to a "top" uni, be miserable and get a bad grade (since it sounds like you might have headed that way, had you stayed at LSE). Uni is what you make of it: get some work experience/internships so you can carve out a good CV for when you leave QM and work towards gettinng better and a decent overall result, and I'm sure you'll do just fine :smile: Going to a "top" uni only gives you an advantage in certain fields anyway :h:
Being a former qm student hasn't stopped me from getting interviews for jobs after uni
The main thing is you get good grades no matter what university you go to. You can go to a really good uni and get crap grades or go to a crap uni and get really amazing results. Good luck and don't worry bout nofin.
#LoveLife
Original post by Anonymous

don't keep thinking so negative let it go away from u...as long as u get good grades, got the skills practically u will be fine
Queen Mary is a RG uni and part of the Uni of London so you are more than fine reputation wise, seriously, employers will look at your uni favourably. Who cares if most people youve talked to havent heard of it, most people havent heard of most unis.... employers will know about Queen Mary, trust me. Dont be one of those reputation whores! QM is a top uni, it's not like you're going to London Met or something. xo

Quick Reply

Latest