The Student Room Group

Was this sexual assault or am I making a big deal out of nothing?

Please read my thread on the 'this is abuse' forum I really need advice. Thank you

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3385803

Scroll to see replies

You told him to stop, he didn't therefore it was assault.

Stay away from that guy.
That's definitely assault and the guy sounds like he's some pervert preying on vulnerable women after he's gained your trust as a close friend. Just because he's the same age doesn't mean that can't happen. Cutting ties with him sounds like the best idea.
call the cops
Reply 4
Tell him frankly how do you feel and threaten him to call the police. You also shouldn't drink that much.
Ok when it was just the kissing I could see it being a misunderstanding but the night in question that was assualt. Its your call whether you tell the police given that you clearly somewhat care for him but don't fool around with him anymore. If he touches you tell him not to do it anymore. If he persists just keep away from him.
You have every reason to be upset and it's absolutely assault. Also contrary to what the above poster says, it's nothing to do with your drinking. We are civilised and we don't usually respond to allegations of women being sexually assaulted with "You shouldn't drink so much". It's not your fault

Original post by Josb
Tell him frankly how do you feel and threaten him to call the police. You also shouldn't drink that much.

I don't think her drinking is relevant tbh
Maybe bloke should try not to assault women so much...
Reply 7
Original post by Lord Jon

I don't think her drinking is relevant tbh
Maybe bloke should try not to assault women so much...

There are some basic safety tips to avoid being assaulted, not being dead-drunk next to a guy who has already assaulted you before is one of them.
He is definitely in the wrong, but you are giving him mixed signals.

YOU BROUGHT HIM INTO YOUR BEDROOM WHEN HE HAD PREVIOUSLY TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF YOU IN A DRUNKEN STATE - Caps to place an emphasis on how silly you have been. I'm not blaming you, but you need to look after yourself. He clearly has a screw loose, so it's up to you to make the situation clear.

Confide in someone you can trust if you need moral support. Don't let him keep taking advantage of you. If you want to take it further, then do so. It sounds like he has committed sexual assault and sexual assault by penetration.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by User1214833
He is definitely in the wrong, but you are giving him mixed signals.

YOU BROUGHT HIM INTO YOUR BEDROOM WHEN HE HAD PREVIOUSLY TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF YOU IN A DRUNKEN STATE - Caps to place an emphasis on how silly you have been. I'm not blaming you, but you need to look after yourself. He clearly has a screw loose, so it's up to you to make the situation clear.

Confide in someone you can trust if you need moral support. Don't let him keep taking advantage of you. If you want to take it further, then do so. It sounds like he has committed sexual assault and sexual assault by penetration.

On the night it happened we were out with a big group of people, pre-drinking a while in a friend's house, went into town, and then he walked me back to my room - alone - it is quite a trek (25-30 min) from town and I don't fully remember most of the night. I remember him having to support me as we walked back and I fell over a couple of times. I don't remember actually getting back to my room, but I have the flashback of him doing that to me. We are both in halls though he is in a different one to me he lives the closest to me out of our group so it wouldn't have looked out of place for him to walk me back to mine. I haven't told anybody what has happened, I feel so guilty for my friend, I feel that she has a right to know. This is all tearing me up inside and to be honest seeing him makes me feel sick.
Original post by Anonymous
On the night it happened we were out with a big group of people, pre-drinking a while in a friend's house, went into town, and then he walked me back to my room - alone - it is quite a trek (25-30 min) from town and I don't fully remember most of the night. I remember him having to support me as we walked back and I fell over a couple of times. I don't remember actually getting back to my room, but I have the flashback of him doing that to me. We are both in halls though he is in a different one to me he lives the closest to me out of our group so it wouldn't have looked out of place for him to walk me back to mine. I haven't told anybody what has happened, I feel so guilty for my friend, I feel that she has a right to know. This is all tearing me up inside and to be honest seeing him makes me feel sick.

In the future, you probably shouldn't get so drunk that you have memory lapses. That's really dangerous.

If you're not sure exactly what happened due to drink, then it's unlikely that he would ever be convicted. However, you have to look after yourself now. Does your university have a counselling service? Talk to someone and get advice. Don't keep things to yourself.

If you told your friend, would she believe you? She might just think you're jealous and you could end up alienating yourself. Maybe you could talk to her in general terms about the guy. If he has been behaving like that with you, then chances are he has been like that with other girls.

Whatever you do, please look after yourself.
In the future, you probably shouldn't get so drunk that you have memory lapses. That's really dangerous.

If you're not sure exactly what happened due to drink, then it's unlikely that he would ever be convicted.

Pretty sure that is wrong.
According to the new laws regarding alcohol and consent this was 100% sexual assault. You can go to the Police and report it if it's important to you.
Original post by eskimo_rising
Pretty sure that is wrong.
According to the new laws regarding alcohol and consent this was 100% sexual assault. You can go to the Police and report it if it's important to you.

Morally it was sexual assault, but there's a good chance a jury probably wouldn't find in the OP's favour. She's admitted that she doesn't really remember exactly what happened and it would be his word against hers.
Morally it was sexual assault, but there's a good chance a jury probably wouldn't find in the OP's favour. She's admitted that she doesn't really remember exactly what happened and it would be his word against hers.

All she would have to prove is some form of sex occurred, which shouldn't be difficult to get on a recording, email or post if she hasn't got that already given that they have been discussing it.
All she would have to prove is some form of sex occurred, which shouldn't be difficult to get on a recording, email or post if she hasn't got that already given that they have been discussing it.

He could just argue that it was consensual though.
Reply 15

Because of the circumstances it is difficult to prove and a jury wouldn't be likely to buy into it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please read my thread on the 'this is abuse' forum I really need advice. Thank you

Wow. Based on the facts you've given us, that definitely sounds like sexual assault.

He's done it repeatedly as well. Either he isn't as disgusted with himself as he's saying or he's unable to control himself.
Reply 17
A) That was sexual assault, according to the legal definition of it. However, the fact that you were very drunk, and from what you have said gave the man incredibly mixed signals does not absolve him from blame, but it doesn't look good from the point of view of any legal action you may want to take. It would simply come down to your word against his.

B) The only thing that you are responsible for here is getting so drunk that you cannot even remember these events clearly. You are not to blame for what he did to you, but you must admit that you put yourself in a vulnerable position. I know this doesn't sound like the kind of thoughts that one should be having when drinking with what you think are friends, but you already knew that this guy was not quite right. All you can do now is cut him off completely, and be more careful in the future.
It sounds like he has committed sexual assault and sexual assault by penetration.

It's just 'assault by penetration', not 'sexual assault by penetration'.

To any girls who this happens to, don't wait a week before seeking help if something like this happens. Talk to someone either on the night or on the next day, and go straight to the police with them.
(edited 8 years ago)

Legally, yes it probably is. Whether you could get a case to stick is another question, but I suspect not what you're interested in right now. He has behaved atrociously on more than one occasion and certainly is not acting like someone "in love" with you - if he actually loved you, rather than being infatuated, he would care about how you felt and wouldn't continue to push you into situations you're not comfortable with. He does not sound like a nice guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he continued to push the boundaries.

It is NOT YOUR FAULT. Sure, maybe you shouldn't have got so drunk, but the responsibility for what happened is all his. Someone who actually loved you would have just put you to bed and left you some water, not stuck their hand down your pants because they "thought you wanted it."

I'd suggest trying to keep more distance from him. Sit apart from him and extricate yourself from the cuddles/constant touching. If he persists, then tell him you're not comfortable with it and you want him to stop. He might get upset - or play at being upset - but only you get to say who touches you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending