Did you find the Exorcist scary? Watch

XFD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I didn't, I was expecting to be one of the scariest films I ever watch but to be honest, it didn't effect me much at all, though I can understand for the 1970's the effect were different etc which is why it may have scared people back then, but not to me now
ionic-insomniac
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As OP mentioned quite rightly, stuff way scarier than the Excorcist is made possible today with the help of CGI etc. I watched it when I was around 12/13 and by that point, was pretty desensitised to the gore in the movie (older siblings are life), and as for the mystical element, it was pretty much your average possession flick. It's 100% put me off Ouija boards, but then again, turning into Regan would probably be wonderful for my looks.

I reckon as a classic, Linda Blair's got that charm to her and it's full of memorable scenes (ie. the exorcism itself) but compared to stuff that comes out nowadays, it's not too high ranking on the whole fear scale. I think really, if it came out today, people would sort of be like "meh, I've seen the Human Centipede", but at the time it was a massive shock. Especially in the blasphemous sense, leading to its acclaim which has sort of propelled it through.
Gwilym101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The reason its so iconic a horror is that it's the first film that really deals with the idea of possession. The Catholic Church loved this film as it portrays them favourable and accurately (in their mind). It caused all sorts of people to hide in their rooms surrounded by crucifixes and such because it wasn't like anything that had been on screen before.

It's the issue with a ground breaking film, it's only ground breaking the once.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's all about what you are hearing, rather than seeing.

The cinematography has been watered down over time, but it remains a masterpiece. I'm not scared by it, but the use of the sound effects, music and dialogue ramps up tension to the max.

A great film.
Most Competitive
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope. To be honest, some parts actually made me laugh :lol:

However, it is, undeniably, a great film.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I watched it for the first time when I was about 8 and I found it quite scary then. I've watched it a million times since so the scare factor is gone but I still find the film to be an absolute masterpiece. The scariest parts for me were when Captain Howdy would flash up on the screen out the blue.

The Wicker Man still creeps me out though no matter how often I watch it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Need2Study4Exam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That was a quality film. That movie and The Shining are the best horror movies ever made.
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I watched it when I was 15 and I went into it scared because of all the hype. It's not too scary, it has some jumpy parts and the tension is excellently built, I'd liken it to The Sixth Sense. Chilling. Like the guy above said though, it can only be groundbreaking once. With the onslaught of various "possession" films, most terrible in quality, the effect has been dulled down. You know what to expect; creepy demon voice, disfigured/discoloured skin, a few kills here and there.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Genuinely one of the funniest films I've ever seen.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Now there's a frightening film. Scariest film I've ever seen would be a tie between Heavenly Creatures and Picnic on Hanging Rock.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
some of the scenes were done brilliantly... for instance where she does that spider walk down the stairs. the head spinning/ vomiting stuff was amateur.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Spock's Socks)

Posted from TSR Mobile
the companion film "The Wicker Tree" did not disappoint.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I found it hilarious. Then again, I didn't watch every single scene, so maybe parts of it are scary and I just didn't realise
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
the companion film "The Wicker Tree" did not disappoint.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
that was brilliant !!

the original Wicker Man film is head and shoulders above Mr Cage's odd film.
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's so scary to me that I only watched it in full once, and never again. Same for Passion of the Christ and I recently got balls to watch Paranormal Activity marathon, a second time, alone, at night. It's not that scary because in Paranormal 2, they said it only happened because the family ****ed with that witch craft stuff. So I was like cool. Plus a hilarious parody was made about it, where it was a black couple instead. And black people in horror movies is always meant to be funny.

The Gallows is coming out, it's about Charlie
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. A properly done remake could be, though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads