This discussion is closed.
Help Me Please
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What is the equivalent to an HNC.

For example how many GCSE's? A-levels?

Thanks.

Also what is considered a good grade when passing an HNC, obviously a distinction overall but how many distinctions would be classed as good say with ten modules?
Dam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A HNC is not really equivalent to anything I don't think!

A good result in a HNC is probably considered to be an average of a merit in all units. BTW I got 2 x distinctions 6 x merits and 2 x passes.

What is your HNC in? Are you considering going to uni?
Thanks
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Did you go on to uni? if so how have you found it?
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am starting exeter uni this september to do mech engineering (my HNC is in building services engineering). If you have a HNC in engineering or something similar, most unis would accept that alone for entry I am sure, some even direct to the second year.

I have also just finished doing a-level maths, which I started as I planned to do a maths degree, but then I changed my mind cos I didn't think I would be able to hack it.
Jonny
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Dan, thanks for you reply.

A couple of questions?

How old are you and when did you complete your HNC?

From a personal point of view I had 8 distinctions, 1 merit and a pass.
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am 21, straight from school I did 2 years ONC and then 2 years HNC part-time day release while working/training to be an engineer. I finished the HNC last summer.

Then I decided that I hated the job and went to stack shelves at tesco until I start uni in september.

Hope this has been helpful to you, your results sound superb, thats way better than anyone on our course got, as I was in the top 3 or 4 people results wise.

What subject is yours in?
Koloth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
GCSE's, A Levels and HNC's are all at different standards so they can't really be compared. As far as I am aware a HNC is around the level of a foundation degree.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this probably sounds well dumb, but what is an HNC or an ONC?

Thanks,
Phil
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Its a Higher national cert, or a national cert (used to be ordinary nat. cert, but they dropped the ordinary a few years back).

They are vocational qualifications usually studied part-time whilst working, though you can do them full time.

A HNC consists of 10 units of a certain level, if you do another 6 units at this same level (I think) then you get a HND.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
thanks
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads