The Student Room Group

Do you think I'll qualify as an independent student?

Hi...

I want to apply to University as an independent student.

My parents are in a legal financial agreement and cannot help me out with money, despite earning a "decent" amount. My loan would not be enough to cover rent. I have a job lined up for part time work 16-20 hours a week @ £7.00/h, but this still does not give me much money to afford to live. I am in a lot of debt from having previously gone to university and need my wage to supplement my debt payments as well as things like rent, bills, and food.

I moved out of my parents home 3 years ago. I lived with my boyfriend at the time. Despite only earning ~£200 a month, I contributed towards rent, bills, food as much as possible. After I finished my A Levels, we then moved into a flat together and I got a job with the minumum contracted hours of 16/week (although I normally did 20-30) earning again £7.00/h and we split the rent/bills equally. After we broke up, we lived together for a good few months in that flat. Afterwards, I stayed at my (new) boyfriend's house and contributed towards rent/bills (but obviously wasn't on the lease). Then I started university, I had help from SF and that went on my parents' income as I had only been "independent" two years. I had a job the whole time I was at uni, but I dropped out in late november due to illness. I moved in with my boyfriend and got a part time job over Christmas. In January I secured a job and am now working full-time earning £15100pa. I still live with my (new) boyfriend, and contribute monthly towards rent, bills, etc. I now have a place at a university closer to my boyfriend, my doctor and extended family. I was wondering if I would be eligible to apply for student finance as "independent" because I have been living apart from my parents and paying my way (albeit living with boyfriends) for the past three years.

I can provide pay slips proving I had jobs, and letters from both boyfriends and my parents stating that yes I have lived away from home and contributed towards payments therefore "supporting" myself?

Will this be enough? Althought I am not estranged from my parents, I cannot move back in with them and they cannot afford to help me out with money. I am concerned I won't be able to go to university at all.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beth-ae
Hi...

My parents are in a legal financial agreement and cannot help me out with money, despite earning a "decent" amount. My loan would not be enough to cover rent. I have a job lined up for part time work 16-20 hours a week @ £7.00/h, but this still does not give me much money to afford to live. I am in a lot of debt from having previously gone to university and need my wage to supplement my debt payments as well as things like rent, bills, and food.

I moved out of my parents home 3 years ago. I lived with my boyfriend at the time. Despite only earning ~£200 a month, I contributed towards rent, bills, food as much as possible. After I finished my A Levels, we then moved into a flat together and I got a job with the minumum contracted hours of 16/week (although I normally did 20-30) earning again £7.00/h and we split the rent/bills equally. After we broke up, we lived together for a good few months in that flat. Afterwards, I stayed at my (new) boyfriend's house and contributed towards rent/bills (but obviously wasn't on the lease). Then I started university, I had help from SF and that went on my parents' income as I had only been "independent" two years. I had a job the whole time I was at uni, but I dropped out in late november due to illness. I moved in with my boyfriend and got a part time job over Christmas. In January I secured a job and am now working full-time earning £15100pa. I still live with my (new) boyfriend, and contribute monthly towards rent, bills, etc. I now have a place at a university closer to my boyfriend, my doctor and extended family. I was wondering if I would be eligible to apply for student finance as "independent" because I have been living apart from my parents and paying my way (albeit living with boyfriends) for the past three years.

I can provide pay slips proving I had jobs, and letters from both boyfriends and my parents stating that yes I have lived away from home and contributed towards payments therefore "supporting" myself?

Will this be enough? Althought I am not estranged from my parents, I cannot move back in with them and they cannot afford to help me out with money. I am concerned I won't be able to go to university at all.

£5500 from student finance+ your part-time job. You shouldn't struggle at all as long as you bother to budget.

As for the independent thing not sure probably not.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
Reply 2
Original post by simondo93
£5500 from student finance+ your part-time job. You shouldn't struggle at all as long as you bother to budget.

As for the independent thing not sure probably not.

Where have you got the numbers from? I've* not told you my parents' income...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by beth-ae
Where have you got the numbers from? I'm not told you my parents' income...

Just punching a few numbers into the calculator.

Even at 50k a year you'll get 5k a year

If your parents earn more than that then being honest I have no idea why then can't at least contributed something.

Plus £7 an hour at 16 hours a week is £5824 a year.

I stand by the you shouldn't struggle.

Reply 5
Despite their physical income being substantial, they are in some sort of debt agreement following a business failure which means they are only just managing themselves, and will be unable to help me with living costs. I also have siblings that the calculator does not take into account. Please do not be so ignorant as to assume that just because they have relatively well-paying jobs that they can hand out money to me. When I used the student finance calculator online, I got that my maintenence loan would be ~£3600. Rent for the cheapest accomodation I could find is ~£4300 a year. My job is a 0 hour contract although hours are likely I do not want to have to depend on a job which might not be reliable for basic things such as rent.

I came here looking for advice on whether or not I might be eligible to apply as an independent student. I already know that it will be difficult for me to afford it based on my parents' income.
Reply 6
I would like to add, if I can find a more reliable job I will, but my question was whether or not I would qualify as an independent student. Thanks for your input on that, though :smile:
Original post by beth-ae
Despite their physical income being substantial, they are in some sort of debt agreement following a business failure which means they are only just managing themselves, and will be unable to help me with living costs. I also have siblings that the calculator does not take into account. Please do not be so ignorant as to assume that just because they have relatively well-paying jobs that they can hand out money to me. When I used the student finance calculator online, I got that my maintenence loan would be ~£3600. Rent for the cheapest accomodation I could find is ~£4300 a year. My job is a 0 hour contract although hours are likely I do not want to have to depend on a job which might not be reliable for basic things such as rent.

I came here looking for advice on whether or not I might be eligible to apply as an independent student. I already know that it will be difficult for me to afford it based on my parents' income.

Well then your parents issues have ****ed you

How old are you out of question?

Reply 8
I'm 20. Why? And - it's unfortunate I suppose, but that's life :smile:
Original post by beth-ae
I'm 20. Why? And - it's unfortunate I suppose, but that's life :smile:

If you were 25+ you'd automatically be coincided independent. The only way is if you can prove being independent for 3 consecutive years.

For the record I'll only have £6000-£6500 per year to live on altogether.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
I know, I was wondering if the above evidence would be enough. As far as I am aware I have been independent of my parents for three years, but will that be enough for SF? I have P60s showing that I was earning (2.5 years part time - the second year I was renting a flat - and like half a year full time). and letters from both of the men I have lived with, my parents are also willing to write a letter stating that I haven't lived with them in the past three years.
Original post by beth-ae
Hi...

To be classified as an independent student you have to be aged 25 or above and have supported yourself financially for at least 3 years.
Original post by mackemforever
To be classified as an independent student you have to be aged 25 or above and have supported yourself financially for at least 3 years.

It's not 'and'

Original post by beth-ae
I know, I was wondering if the above evidence would be enough. As far as I am aware I have been independent of my parents for three years, but will that be enough for SF? I have P60s showing that I was earning (2.5 years part time - the second year I was renting a flat - and like half a year full time). and letters from both of the men I have lived with, my parents are also willing to write a letter stating that I haven't lived with them in the past three years.

it has to come to over 3 years of paid work which is over a certain amount for them to give you independent status, just living away from parents for that time wont be enough.
Original post by beth-ae

The letters will probably do nothing but it's possible they could with bank statements & pay slips far enough back.

Instead of your parents income they'd use your partners.

Reply 15
I've read that they are the criteria separately of one another.My question is - I have been earning for the past three years. I have lived apart from my parents for three years. I have paid (rent, bills, at least partially) to do so for three years. Do you think this is likely qualify me to apply as an independent student? I plan to ring them later tonight, I just wanted some opinions.
Reply 16
Original post by claireestelle
it has to come to over 3 years of paid work which is over a certain amount for them to give you independent status, just living away from parents for that time wont be enough.

Thank you.
Do you know what the amount is?

As I have said, it is not that I just lived apart from my parents. I have had paid work for over three years. I paid my way when I lived away from my parents. I was wondering if the first year (working, and doing A levels) would count or not as obviously I was not paid a lot.
Original post by beth-ae
I've read that they are the criteria separately of one another.My question is - I have been earning for the past three years. I have lived apart from my parents for three years. I have paid (rent, bills, at least partially) to do so for three years. Do you think this is likely qualify me to apply as an independent student? I plan to ring them later tonight, I just wanted some opinions.

The truth is we don't know since we don't know your full details. Like what you earned. Also student finance are known to be unpredictable at the best of times.

Reply 18
Original post by simondo93
The letters will probably do nothing but it's possible they could with bank statements & pay slips far enough back.

Instead of your parents income they'd use your partners.

Thank you, I know they would use my partner's income on top of my own.
I know the letters themselves would not be enough but I do have P60s, I thought the letters may help aid me though. I was paid in cash for one of the jobs, but I will be able to get a letter from my old employer as well as the P60.
Original post by beth-ae
Thank you, I know they would use my partner's income on top of my own.
I know the letters themselves would not be enough but I do have P60s, I thought the letters may help aid me though. I was paid in cash for one of the jobs, but I will be able to get a letter from my old employer as well as the P60.

The cash in hand might make it more difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending