JamesM96
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Basically in short.

I started working for a company a few months ago. Around a month ago I quit without telling them and just didn't show up for work (wasn't happy with working conditions, nothing was being done about it). So they go through the process of firing me (organising meetings, attempting to contact me etc.) and around a month later, send me the letter to say I've been formally fired and that any money owed to be will be paid on the next pay day.

I last worked for them on the 25th of April, which was pay day. Since then I haven't gone in at all and yet on the 25th of May I got paid a months salary. Is this correct?

I haven't touched the money at all as I'm not sure where I stand, is it mine or is it theirs?

TIA
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it's the correct amount it's yours, they have to pay you hours you have worked
JamesM96
Rep:
?
(Original post by SophieSmall)
If it's the correct amount it's yours, they have to pay you hours you have worked
I haven't worked at all that month that they paid me, but I was paid on a monthly salary (fixed amount per year).
frances98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You were fired therefore they owe you all money for when you worked. If you quit then you owe them all extra pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
JamesM96
Rep:
?
(Original post by frances98)
You were fired therefore they owe you all money for when you worked. If you quit then you owe them all extra pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
from the 25th of April to the 25th of May, I was under employment by the company (until the 25th when I was fired) but did not physically attend work in this time. I was paid for the time I was still under employment by the company but not attending work. Who's is the money?
frances98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JamesM96)
from the 25th of April to the 25th of May, I was under employment by the company (until the 25th when I was fired) but did not physically attend work in this time. I was paid for the time I was still under employment by the company but not attending work. Who's is the money?
You were paid but not working without any intent of working so you shouldn't have been paid therefore you owe them the money

Posted from TSR Mobile
JoshDawg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take the money and run. Never speak to them again and they'll forget about it. It's an admin error at best, leave it at that.
cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it perhaps the case that you were getting paid a month in arrears? Under that circumstance the pay in May is for the work done in April.
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
they can afford to lose it and they messed up it'll hold up in court as you gave them time to correct their mistake they didn't so it's yours
JamesM96
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesthehustler)
they can afford to lose it and they messed up it'll hold up in court as you gave them time to correct their mistake they didn't so it's yours
How sure are you of this? I contacted them on May 29th (4 days after they paid into my account) and I've heard nothing since, they were notified that I wasn't sure if it was mine or not and they said they'd get back to me, nearly a month later and I've heard nothing.
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How sure are you of this? I contacted them on May 29th (4 days after they paid into my account) and I've heard nothing since, they were notified that I wasn't sure if it was mine or not and they said they'd get back to me, nearly a month later and I've heard nothing.
go to them again if no reply then it must be yours as they would have asked for it already
JamesM96
Rep:
?
go to them again if no reply then it must be yours as they would have asked for it already
Ask you might understand, I'm a little sceptical taking advice from someone who goes by 'jamesthehustler' hahahaha.

Thanks dude, will do!
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ask you might understand, I'm a little sceptical taking advice from someone who goes by 'jamesthehustler' hahahaha.

Thanks dude, will do!
my hustling is jewellery related only
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoshDawg)
Take the money and run. Never speak to them again and they'll forget about it. It's an admin error at best, leave it at that.
Bad advice. The company has 6 years to reclaim the money. Better to sort it out now than recieve a demand for the money + interest years later
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
He hasn't given them 6 years to correct their mistake.
Reue
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I haven't touched the money at all as I'm not sure where I stand, is it mine or is it theirs?
Many companies pay a month in arrears so you receive a payment a month after you've left. You'll need to check your contract to see if this is the case. If it has been an error on their part then they are legally able to obtain the money back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (51)
33.12%
No I don't (72)
46.75%
I work during the holidays (31)
20.13%

Watched Threads