Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please, someone, I need help!

What do I need to know about:

• Hitler's methods of rule,
    • The impact of war on the regime's popularity,
    • The economy? And do I need to know about this in relation to how it contributed to the people's community, or how it affected popularity, or what? :confused:

And also, how much information do I need to know on each of these issues? In depth or brief overview?

I read through the markscheme today and realised I don't know any of this...if someone could help me I will be eternally greatful!

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but this website might be useful:

www.schoolhistory.co.uk

Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Hitler's methods of rule - Creation of many departments (a lot of them completely new ones like Propaganda) that had conflicting functions, police state under the SS with many branches like the waffen SS etc... I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this 'methods of rule' whether it is economic policy or laws he passed (enabling act would be a key one) either way you have to do this in quite a lot of detail.

Impact of war - At first good as Germany was doing well, blitzkrieg very successful in taking alot of eastern european countries. Hitler had prepared the population for war and clearly stated his aims. Popularity only started to fail about 1943 onwards because Germany began to lose, especially on the eastern front. This you can do quite generally but quite a bit more than what I just said.

Economy - VERY IMPORTANT, you need detailed knowledge of this. From economic recovery between 33-35 thru public work schemes, driving out women and jews out of the workforce to give job to aryan men, and so on to the impact of rearmament and conscription on the economy. About 1935 onwards economy was already being geared by Hjalmar Schacht (important guy) for war: rearmament, conscription and autarky (self sufficiency)... But you need to know much more. Both the impact on society (most regarded Hitler as a messiah for giving them jobs and getting them out of the depression) and the importance of it in maintaing popularity, preparing for war and so on.

ReputationRep:
    Which AS module(s) are you doing?

2582 - Documents (Nazi germany)

and/OR

2586 - Germany 1919 - 1939 (the one where you have to do an essay question picked from a choice of two)

ReputationRep:
    Economy - VERY IMPORTANT, you need detailed knowledge of this. From economic recovery between 33-35 thru public work schemes, driving out women and jews out of the workforce to give job to aryan men, and so on to the impact of rearmament and conscription on the economy. About 1935 onwards economy was already being geared by Hjalmar Schacht (important guy) for war: rearmament, conscription and autarky (self sufficiency)... But you need to know much more. Both the impact on society (most regarded Hitler as a messiah for giving them jobs and getting them out of the depression) and the importance of it in maintaing popularity, preparing for war and so on.
    please see my other thread

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, it's quite important whether you are doing the Nazis for document or essay. If you are doing it for essay, you definitely need a deeper knowledge.

I am doing the Nazis for the document paper and you need to be aware of key dates, events, policies etc., but in depth analysis is not as relevant because the focus is on source analysis, although contextual knowledge is important so you wouldn't want to wing it!

Hitler's methods of rule: comment on the division and disorganisation he created between party and state to further his own power and disassociate himself with criticism directed towards the Nazis - divide and rule.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it for document studies.

Thanks very much for your help guys!

I'm starting to panic now because I haven't been taught any of this and I hate the textbook as its all over the place.

EDIT

The spec says:

Key issues for study and examination:

How effectively did Hitler establish and consolidate Nazi authority 1933-1945

Content: The aims of the Nazis, their admission to power in 1933 and the consolidation of their power once in government, the police state.

How popular were Hitler and the Nazis 1933-1945

Content: Hitler's personality and methods of rule, the establishment of the Hitler Myth, the impact of war on the regime's popularity, resistance to Hitler.

To what extent did the Nazis transform German society?

Content: Propaganda and control (1933-39), changes in society (1933-39), racial purity and anti-semitism (1933-42)

So where does the economy fit into this (seeing as it isn't even mentioned :confused: )? If it comes under 'changes in society', does that mean I only need to know up to 1939? Therefore I don't need to know how it all went downhill in the war?

If Hitler's 'methods of rule' come under 'how popular were Hitler and the Nazis', does this mean I just need to know about how Hitler distanced himself from negative policies to sustatin his popularity etc? The chaotic organisation of state organisations, the creation of many departments etc...these points don't seem to slot into this very well...

'How popular were Hitler and the Nazis'...How popular were the Nazis? :confused: Does this just refer to general Nazi control, rather than the Nazi government in particular?

I'm confused! I hate OCR and its damn vague specs! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    anyone know where I can find exam questions for document studies nazi germany?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.