Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

p1-Sequences+series watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The sum of the first 3 terms of a GP is 65/9 and the sum to infinity is 7.5.
    Next the qu asked me to find out a and r which i did...r=1/3, a=5.
    Then it says find the least number of terms required so that their sum differs from 7.5 by less than 10^-4....heeeeeyyyylllppp! trial ad error meth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    The sum of the first 3 terms of a GP is 65/9 and the sum to infinity is 7.5.
    Next the qu asked me to find out a and r which i did...r=1/3, a=5.
    Then it says find the least number of terms required so that their sum differs from 7.5 by less than 10^-4....heeeeeyyyylllppp! trial ad error meth?
    haven't looked at this question yet, but just to let you know, I answered the other sequences and series question. It's probably on the second page by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    haven't looked at this question yet, but just to let you know, I answered the other sequences and series question. It's probably on the second page by now.
    oohhh thanks very much mockel, i forget about that one! ill go check
    oh and rep coming your way if its right!

ReputationRep:
    anyone got ideas for this 1?

Then it says find the least number of terms required so that their sum differs from 7.5 by less than 10^-4.
    Which sum differs from which?

ReputationRep:
    Sn = 7.5[1-3^(-n)] you're looking for 7.5 - Sn < 10^-4 so 7.5(1-[1-3^(-n)]) < 10^-4, 7.5*3^-n < 10^-4 rearrange to 3^n > 7.5*10^4, take logs of both sides n log3 > 4 + log7.5, n > (4 + log7.5)/log3 = 10.21... so you need to sum up to and including n=11, ie 11 terms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Sn = 7.5[1-3^(-n)]
    where do u get this from,,,,, i thought the formula was
    s=a(1-r^n)/(1-r^n)

ReputationRep:
    where do u get this from,,,,, i thought the formula was
    s=a(1-r^n)/(1-r^n)
    No - if it was the 1-r^n would cancel Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r) = 5[1-3^(-n)]/(1-1/3) = 5[1-3^(-n)]/(2/3) = 15/2*[1-3^(-n)] = 7.5[1-3^(-n)]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    No - if it was the 1-r^n would cancel Sn = a(1-r^n)/(1-r) = 5[1-3^(-n)]/(1-1/3) = 5[1-3^(-n)]/(2/3) = 15/2*[1-3^(-n)] = 7.5[1-3^(-n)]
    lol sorry i meant [1-r] on the bottom of frac!! oh and thanks bezza

ReputationRep:
    lol sorry i meant [1-r] on the bottom of frac!! oh and thanks bezza
    Yeah, yeah sure you did

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.