The Student Room Group

jaw surgery for overbite?

I have a huge overbite which I'm really insecure about,
I had a hospital appointment ans was told that they could not do much about my overbite however I could get jaw surgery to bring my lower jaw forward and align my teeth together. The orthodontist said that I didn't really need the surgery but I can have it if I want.
I'm torn on the issue as I don't know if it will actually help the appearance of my teeth and I think it will change how my face looks lol, also the surgery sounds awful.
Has anyone had this surgery? And is it worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I have a huge overbite which I'm really insecure about,
I had a hospital appointment ans was told that they could not do much about my overbite however I could get jaw surgery to bring my lower jaw forward and align my teeth together. The orthodontist said that I didn't really need the surgery but I can have it if I want.
I'm torn on the issue as I don't know if it will actually help the appearance of my teeth and I think it will change how my face looks lol, also the surgery sounds awful.
Has anyone had this surgery? And is it worth it?

I've not had the surgery myself, but I understand your concern. When I heard of the procedure, I thought it was a bit much- a bit excessive really for what it is; the duration and implications are pretty unexpected.

I remember seeing some sources when I was researching it myself, and they could help you:
The Student Room has a few discussions about it, e.g.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1603029

This is also very helpful:
http://www.qvh.nhs.uk/assets/patient_information/A%20guide%20for%20pts%20considering%20orthognathic%20surgery%20-Rvw%20March%202013.pdf

Really, the treatment is dependent on how much the patient wants it, and that's the reason why orthodontists don't usually jump at the idea. It could help you in the long term though, so it is really up to you.
Reply 2
Original post by Davalla
I've not had the surgery myself, but I understand your concern. When I heard of the procedure, I thought it was a bit much- a bit excessive really for what it is; the duration and implications are pretty unexpected.

I remember seeing some sources when I was researching it myself, and they could help you:
The Student Room has a few discussions about it, e.g.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1603029

This is also very helpful:
http://www.qvh.nhs.uk/assets/patient_information/A%20guide%20for%20pts%20considering%20orthognathic%20surgery%20-Rvw%20March%202013.pdf

Really, the treatment is dependent on how much the patient wants it, and that's the reason why orthodontists don't usually jump at the idea. It could help you in the long term though, so it is really up to you.

Aaah thank you so much!! I think I do really want it because I hate how my teeth look but the process seems pretty daunting, although most people say that it's worth it.
Reply 3
I had pallet braces the ones that fix your overbite, I have a 10mm overbite,but I didn't wear them because I thought they were really loose and I couldn't eat with it and it was really difficult to sleep in it so I stopped wearing them nd now it's been two years and I'm 14 now, I just went to my orthodentist today and she asked me the reason I don't wear them I told her the reason that it's too loose nd really hard to put them on, then she's lyk there's no point now and that I've missed an appointment in the two years and now that I've grown they can't do anything and the only choice is that I have a jaw surgery or I leave my teeth lyk they are
And she gave me another choice to have my wisdom teeth taken out And then after just wear braces so your teeth will be straight but ur teeth will be still sticking out, I don't know what to do,my parents are really angry because I didn't wear them and I regret this now, but my question is will braces fix my overbite particularly , will braces fix the overbite a bit, I will be happy if it does move back a bit nd after my braces when I get retainers will my position of the teeth stay in place? Please help me and can you please tell me if I should do a jaw surgery or not, my dad said no to the jaw surgery cause he thought it's too much please help me and can you answer my questions thank u x
Reply 4
Original post by Alisa1234
I had pallet braces the ones that fix your overbite, I have a 10mm overbite,but I didn't wear them because I thought they were really loose and I couldn't eat with it and it was really difficult to sleep in it so I stopped wearing them nd now it's been two years and I'm 14 now, I just went to my orthodentist today and she asked me the reason I don't wear them I told her the reason that it's too loose nd really hard to put them on, then she's lyk there's no point now and that I've missed an appointment in the two years and now that I've grown they can't do anything and the only choice is that I have a jaw surgery or I leave my teeth lyk they are
And she gave me another choice to have my wisdom teeth taken out And then after just wear braces so your teeth will be straight but ur teeth will be still sticking out, I don't know what to do,my parents are really angry because I didn't wear them and I regret this now, but my question is will braces fix my overbite particularly , will braces fix the overbite a bit, I will be happy if it does move back a bit nd after my braces when I get retainers will my position of the teeth stay in place? Please help me and can you please tell me if I should do a jaw surgery or not, my dad said no to the jaw surgery cause he thought it's too much please help me and can you answer my questions thank u x

Your dentist may have told you this: if you go with just braces, you won't be able to get the perfectly aligned teeth that you might want - hence the surgery possibility- but your overbite gap might be slightly reduced.
As long as you keep doing what you're supposed to with the retainers (I.e. don't suddenly stop using them!), then the teeth should be able to stay in place without much difficulty.

There's no one answer to give for the question of whether you should have the surgery, I'm afraid; it really does come down to how much you want it done. To help you decide, perhaps you could look at some of the links I posted in the previous comment (if you haven't already) or look at some of the many videos explaining the operation online.
Reply 5
Original post by Davalla
Your dentist may have told you this: if you go with just braces, you won't be able to get the perfectly aligned teeth that you might want - hence the surgery possibility- but your overbite gap might be slightly reduced.
As long as you keep doing what you're supposed to with the retainers (I.e. don't suddenly stop using them!), then the teeth should be able to stay in place without much difficulty.

There's no one answer to give for the question of whether you should have the surgery, I'm afraid; it really does come down to how much you want it done. To help you decide, perhaps you could look at some of the links I posted in the previous comment (if you haven't already) or look at some of the many videos explaining the operation online.

So will my braces help the overbite?? And when I get my retainers after braces will that overbite that slightly moved back during the time I had braces stay as it is?? So for eg: right now I have a 10mm overbite nd when I get my braces it goes down to 7-8mm, so when I get my retainers after that will the retainer help the overbite to stay 7-8mm permanently?? Please help
(Will be upset if it won't help)
( really regret this, wish I did put the retainer on) 😔
Anyways help plzzzzz 😁
Reply 6
Oh Yh and one more question what if I have rubber bands while I have braces on my teeth and so I eat with the braces with them on and sleep with them with them will that help my overbite?? Because that can give pressure to your teeth and jaw to move so if I eat with them and etc will that soon move my bottom jaw forward ( as the dentist said that my chin is far back so I need my chin a bit forward)
Please help; I really wanna know!! Because j saw one of the YouTube videos that show how an overbite is fixed wiv rubber bands or some other thing ( which I don't know what it's called but Yh) please answer my question thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
So will my braces help the overbite?? And when I get my retainers after braces will that overbite that slightly moved back during the time I had braces stay as it is??

How much braces can help an overbite will depend on what needs to be done to your teeth (e.g. which teeth need to be straightened, etc), so I couldn't say the extent to which they may have an effect. Any effect from the braces would probably be a small one though considering how your dentist has discussed the alternative of surgery with you. As long as you keep wearing the retainers as you're supposed to, any effect on the overbite as a result of the braces is likely to remain.
Oh Yh and one more question what if I have rubber bands while I have braces on my teeth and so I eat with the braces with them on and sleep with them with them will that help my overbite?? Because that can give pressure to your teeth and jaw to move so if I eat with them and etc will that soon move my bottom jaw forward ( as the dentist said that my chin is far back so I need my chin a bit forward) Please help; I really wanna know!! Because j saw one of the YouTube videos that show how an overbite is fixed wiv rubber bands or some other thing ( which I don't know what it's called but Yh) please answer my question thanks

You'll need to talk to your dentist about using elastics to fix your teeth; elastics can have different effects on ages and could just end up moving the teeth rather than the jaw (probably in the case of the method that you saw in the YouTube video you mentioned).
Reply 8
Oh okay thank u for all your answers
Heyy I’m also getting surgery because of an overbite and at first I was skeptical because I really didn’t want to look too different post surgery and I was afraid of the length of recovery process but now after thinking everything through I think it is a great opportunity to get rid of my overbite and I am considering doing it now my advice for you would be to mabye way out the pros and cons and really it’s up to you I hope this helps you decide and good luck 😊

Quick Reply

Latest