The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizmoo0721
I do have a disability. I just found it strange how they're providing me with ink and paper, but not a printer? like I don't understand...

Have they given you a printing allowance to use at university instead of the printer itself?
Mine agreed to give me a scanner but as my course is all submitted online no printing allowance and i m almost entirely reliant on typing through lectures most of the time.
Original post by Pathway
I don't have a learning difficulty and I get all that. I've got a physical disability and mental health problems.

Do you mind me asking what you got. I don't have a learning difficulty but I suffer from deafness and severe tinnitus. I feel like DSA could have helped me out a bit more tbh.
Original post by claireestelle
Have they given you a printing allowance to use at university instead of the printer itself?
Mine agreed to give me a scanner but as my course is all submitted online no printing allowance and i m almost entirely reliant on typing through lectures most of the time.

No, they gave me the allowance/ vouchers to buy ink and paper. I wasn't allowed a scanner, printer, audio notetaker.
Original post by OU Student
You'd only get a printer from DSA if your disability means you need one.

I believe that my disability presents a strong case of receiving one.
Do you mind me asking what you got. I don't have a learning difficulty but I suffer from deafness and severe tinnitus. I feel like DSA could have helped me out a bit more tbh.

I've listed what I got here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3413769&page=2&p=57197211#post57197211

It was all suggested by my assessor.

If you genuinely believe you should have been awarded more then you have the right to phone your needs assessor and voice your opinions but they may say no, or even if you keep going and the needs assessor gives in, it could still be rejected by student finance.
Usually before you have your needs assessment, the needs assessor will have had a meeting, read through all your evidence and decided what they are and aren't willing to recommend for you. If you weren't offered certain parts of the DSA such as a printer then they have already decided your disability doesn't warrant this. As I said you can phone up and request a change but you would need to have a solid reason why your disability means you require it.
Original post by Pathway
I've listed what I got here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3413769&page=2&p=57197211#post57197211

It was all suggested by my assessor.

Wow, you got a lot, this will help you so much with your studies I'm sure! The mind mapping software sounds great! :smile:
I might just buy my own things now, DSA where not that much help.
Wow, you got a lot, this will help you so much with your studies I'm sure! The mind mapping software sounds great! :smile:
I might just buy my own things now, DSA where not that much help.

Yeah, it is a pretty good piece of software. I'm about to enter my third year (got a 70 in my first year and a 68 in my second due to my health declining). My disabilities impact me quite a lot and DSA have been quite good, but the majority of support I've had that helped me the most was via my university's student support department. You could try and get help the equivalent at your university? Sorry DSA didn't suggest anything else for you.
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, it is a pretty good piece of software. I'm about to enter my third year (got a 70 in my first year and a 68 in my second due to my health declining). My disabilities impact me quite a lot and DSA have been quite good, but the majority of support I've had that helped me the most was via my university's student support department. You could try and get help the equivalent at your university? Sorry DSA didn't suggest anything else for you.

Those percentages are great! I'll have to get in contact with my university but I don't really know what to say hahahah. :smile:
Ok, well I got the ink and paper allowance to go with it, but not the printer allocation. I personally feel I will find it much easier to have a audio notetaker, my hearing aids are set up to focus on the closet sound to me, this isn't going to be the lecturer.
I also suffer from severe tinnitus, during my A-levels this meant serious concentration issues and sleep problems, causing me to miss lessons.

Hm okay. Why not get in touch with assessor and see if they will change what they have suggested. But if it make you feel any better, i didnt get any printing allowance even though i got a printer. Which i also felt was odd to happen. Audi notetaker probably is not what you think it is... Its a thing where you put your dictaphone recordings on and match them up to the slides. and also allowing you to make notes again each slide too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but to all the other comments i must be wrong then about what i said previously considering what has been pointed out to me.

You have to explain to them why your hearing impairment and tinnitus means you need a printer more than any other student.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
You have to explain to them why your hearing impairment and tinnitus means you need a printer more than any other student.

Yes. When the assessor writes their report, they have to justify why they're recommending you such an item.
Original post by SmallTownGirl

I know
Reply 73
Has anyone received assistive technology training? If so, how is it?
Original post by FN510
Has anyone received assistive technology training? If so, how is it?

I have. I have really enjoyed it. trainer is laid back and very informative. Able to have a laugh during the time too. We go through a programme at a time and go through how to use them in detail. If i need to recap on things, we'll spend a good 30 mins on that part. We also have sorted certain settings on them to make sure they are used to their full potential.

We have also looked at different things like chrome and morzilla extensions to help with reading web pages. and also he has downloaded a different voice reader as the ones pre installed are rubbish. i also have a referencing thing that will make things super easy to reference in essays.

Anything else you want to know?
Has anyone received an audio notetaker, if so, what do you think of it?
Has anyone received an audio notetaker, if so, what do you think of it?

AudioNotetaker is a piece of software that you should be getting with your dictaphone. It's quite useful, although I only used it when I knew lectures weren't going to be recorded.
Original post by Pathway
AudioNotetaker is a piece of software that you should be getting with your dictaphone. It's quite useful, although I only used it when I knew lectures weren't going to be recorded.

I went to my DSA and the assessor was very strong with the fact that I couldn't have the dictaphone AND the audionotetaker, so I just went for the dictaphone and was thinking of buying the audio notetaker myself now. What do people think of it, is it worth it?

:smile:
Reply 78
I want to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10, but I'm not sure if the pre-installed software such as Dragon Naturally will be compatible with Windows 10, and I have contacted them about this and they advised me not to install Windows 10. I'm simply wondering if anyone has installed Windows 10 on their DSA laptop already.
Hi im hoping someone may be able to help me. Ive been accepted to study Applied Psychology this year but im currently recieving ESA & PIP due to my Borderline Personality Disorder & Depression & Anxiety. When applying for my student finance I have also applied for the Disabled Students help & im wonderi g if anyone can give me a rough idea of what i may be entitled to? I currently only have use of my partner Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 which is like a snail at the best og times and even though the university is 5 minutes if that from my home my anxiety may prevent me from getting computer access at the library when not in uni for lectures or seminars. Sorry for the essay but hope ive explained fully. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance

Latest