The Student Room Group

Stay with Creative Writing or change to English Literature?

So I am currently on a Creative Writing and English Literature undergraduate course. In September I will begin my final year.
I originally picked the course as I wanted to get away from home and love to write. However, the Creative Writing side has been a let-down, whereas Eng Lit is very interesting, but a lot of work (loads of reading).
I spoke to the English course leader before and he said it may be possible for me to switch to full English Literature.

So now I am in the position to decide. On the one hand, English is interesting and I will likely learn more. Also an English Literature degree may give a better impression than a Creative Writing one...
On the other hand, the Creative Writing side of the course has the ability to do your own Creative Project this year, which you are mentored through. This would involve actually practically creating something to put out into the real world. This is what I took the course to do.
I am wondering, however, whether I need the Creative Writing side to be able to do this, or if I could just do it on my own just as well, whilst taking Eng Lit. The mentoring could be really useful, and the uni could provide avenues to get your work seen and share it. However, it also could be complete rubbish and do none of these things... it's hard to really tell as the course description and information I've got so far is extremely vague.

Anyway, apologies for the rambling, but I would love some opinions :smile:
I'd switch to English, just gives you more options in life, as you're unlikely to be able to support yourself financially after uni through writing. Employers may be a bit snobby when it comes to the title of your degree if you stick with it. You don't need to do creative writing at uni to be a writer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yabbayabba
I'd switch to English, just gives you more options in life, as you're unlikely to be able to support yourself financially after uni through writing. Employers may be a bit snobby when it comes to the title of your degree if you stick with it. You don't need to do creative writing at uni to be a writer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice. Similar to what I was thinking. Creative Writing hasn't been great so far and I worry the third year project could be somewhat 'amateur', and nothing I couldn't try and do myself if I had time.
Original post by CaptainBanana
Thanks for the advice. Similar to what I was thinking. Creative Writing hasn't been great so far and I worry the third year project could be somewhat 'amateur', and nothing I couldn't try and do myself if I had time.

You've probably learnt enough creative writing already, I reckon. Best to think about how your degree will be seen by employers, as that counts too. Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainBanana
So I am currently on a Creative Writing and English Literature undergraduate course. In September I will begin my final year.
I originally picked the course as I wanted to get away from home and love to write. However, the Creative Writing side has been a let-down, whereas Eng Lit is very interesting, but a lot of work (loads of reading).
I spoke to the English course leader before and he said it may be possible for me to switch to full English Literature.

So now I am in the position to decide. On the one hand, English is interesting and I will likely learn more. Also an English Literature degree may give a better impression than a Creative Writing one...
On the other hand, the Creative Writing side of the course has the ability to do your own Creative Project this year, which you are mentored through. This would involve actually practically creating something to put out into the real world. This is what I took the course to do.
I am wondering, however, whether I need the Creative Writing side to be able to do this, or if I could just do it on my own just as well, whilst taking Eng Lit. The mentoring could be really useful, and the uni could provide avenues to get your work seen and share it. However, it also could be complete rubbish and do none of these things... it's hard to really tell as the course description and information I've got so far is extremely vague.

Anyway, apologies for the rambling, but I would love some opinions :smile:

You'll want to speak to student services, and not just to your tutor. Are you Joint Honors at the moment? If you've not done enough English modules/too many C/W modules it may not be possible.

That said, it really depends on what you enjoy and what you want to do. If you're not finding C/W to be that great of a course moving to English would be a good idea. Are you doing a dissertation? The C/W project sounds like it would be a dissertation for Creative Writing majors, which is something you'd have to take in to consideration - you might not be able to do it if you switch to Single Honors English or major in English.

I know I've not been much help, it's just some things to think about, really.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending