The Student Room Group

Is taking 7 A-level's overkill? (Thread date : 20/06/2015)

Hey Everyone,

I'm considering doing: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths & FM
as well as an EPQ and a language that I am fluent in, which is only composed of one exam at AS & A2 (and I won't have to revise & it has no coursework element)

What are your thoughts?

I know people are going to say "three A*'s are better than seven B's" or something along those lines, but Seven A*/A would demonstrate my well-roundedness as a student, and also doing these seven subjects would allow me to take all of the subjects which I would like to expand my knowledge about.

Knowing my capability, I feel like I could do well, because I have learned about the importance of time management from GCSE's, and also I will be revising throughout the year continuously and won't be held back with coursework (other than with my EPQ, which I will start in year 12, spend my summer writing it up and submit it in year 13- it shouldn't be too big of an issue!) .

To add, i'm not doing these subjects to impress anyone, with the "bigger/more is better" mindset, I am taking them as they are of interest to me, and I will be able to utilise the skills/knowledge which I will acquire in my university degree. Also, I am not underestimating the difficulty of the subjects that I am taking so please don't get the impression that I am being egotistic, I think because of the lack of coursework I will be able to revise throughout the year by making ongoing notes after every lesson, and possibly read ahead.

Thank you in advance :smile:
____

Edit: The language which I will be taking is my native language and it is compulsory, which is why i'm even bothering to take it.

Also, I have taken into account the importance of volunteering, work exp and having a social life (even though I hate everyone in my year lol), so hopefully I will be doing plenty of that.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just to check, is the language A-level your native language?
What's the point? You won't need more than 3, and you'll just get worse grades.
Well it sounds like a hell of a lot of work. I've heard of people doing 5 but no more than that. You'd have to check with the college of your choice that it would work as a timetable and that they'd be willing to support you. If you really want to do it then I'd say go for it. If everything becomes too much for you, you could always drop the one you are least interested in or cut back once you get to A2. I don't think I could ever do it but best of luck to you.
What do you think? do you want to land in hospital.

Doing 4 A levels can kill you, now let alone 7.
Doesn't sound too bad, but I usually think if it's not necessary for the course you want to progress onto (assuming you're planning on going to University), don't do it. However, if it really interests you and you think you are capable, go for it ! Languages are a good thing to take up. It might be helpful if it's a language you speak at home/been brought up with. The EPQ is decent to add on the side in terms of workload. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by loperdoper
Just to check, is the language A-level your native language?

Yep
No.... they are about the same difficulty as O levels used to be.
Reply 8
Original post by Smug Life
What's the point? You won't need more than 3, and you'll just get worse grades.

What if I get awesome grades?
Original post by Mathsqueen
Yep

Take it if you want, but just so you're aware it's often not considered at all when applying to universities.
Reply 10
Original post by loperdoper
Take it if you want, but just so you're aware it's often not considered at all when applying to universities.

It's compulsory so I have to :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by misscaricature
Well it sounds like a hell of a lot of work. I've heard of people doing 5 but no more than that. You'd have to check with the college of your choice that it would work as a timetable and that they'd be willing to support you. If you really want to do it then I'd say go for it. If everything becomes too much for you, you could always drop the one you are least interested in or cut back once you get to A2. I don't think I could ever do it but best of luck to you.

Well my school holds EPQ as an after school club/session thing. So minus the EPQ and the language. I'll technically have 5 subjects :smile: So it can be timetabled
It's compulsory so I have to :smile:

In that case, imo I'd drop the EPQ and possibly Biology to ease your workload. Biology isn't particularly difficult, but there is a lot of content. I did Biology and Physics AS and Physics is mostly concepts, whilst Biology is solid content.
This reminds me of the guy who did 23 A Levels or something to get into Cambridge.
Reply 14
Original post by German123
What do you think? do you want to land in hospital.

Doing 4 A levels can kill you, now let alone 7.

Yes, suicide may be a side effect, I know what i'm getting myself into!
Reply 15
Original post by enaayrah
This reminds me of the guy who did 23 A Levels or something to get into Cambridge.

Yeah he got like 21 A's, 1 B and a C or something hahah
Tbh, I think you would be fine considering that one of the seven is your native language and won't really require much work from you, and that your EPQ will be done over the summer when you won't have to be worrying about your other subjects. I'd say go for it, and then if you feel that it is really going to be too much for you then you will probably be allowed to drop one of them during the year, and you'll still have more than enough A-Levels. Just remember that some universities won't accept your native language within your offer, so it will not count towards your UCAS points or the three grades they ask you for in your offer. However, this may not be the case for all unis.
Yeah he got like 21 A's, 1 B and a C or something hahah

Definitely some crazy people out there :lol:
Well firstly, EPQ is not an A level. If you are fluent in the language then that is not much work which only puts you to 5 A levels that will require work. I think that you should go for it if you think you can and show the top universities what you can do. I am doing 6 and apart from during exams, it's pretty much a walk in the park for the rest of the time. I plan to drop down to 5 A2s though.Good luck and enjoy the challenge!! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by oswalds
Tbh, I think you would be fine considering that one of the seven is your native language and won't really require much work from you, and that your EPQ will be done over the summer when you won't have to be worrying about your other subjects. I'd say go for it, and then if you feel that it is really going to be too much for you then you will probably be allowed to drop one of them during the year, and you'll still have more than enough A-Levels. Just remember that some universities won't accept your native language within your offer, so it will not count towards your UCAS points or the three grades they ask you for in your offer. However, this may not be the case for all unis.

You have reassured me, I think I'm going to do it.
With regards to selecting the language, it's compulsory which is why i'm taking it. Technically, i'll only be taking 5 subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest