The Student Room Group

China has banned government officials, teachers & students from fasting in Ramadan

On Weibo, Haidixia said:

Ramadan is coming, there will be top-level warnings and strict controls. It's a horrible month. I only want to say that Ramadan is an auspicious month with all Muslims dedicated to doing good things for Allah.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/china/11683976/Beijing-bans-Muslim-officials-from-fasting-in-Ramadan-in-parts-of-Xinjiang.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't blame them, at least for the schools part. Teachers are not just responsible for themselves and their own safety and tasks, but of all the pupils under their supervision - it is not acceptable to compromise the education or safety of the pupils because a teacher chooses to put unusual strain on their physiology for personal spiritual purposes.

Children are also meant to be exempt from fasting in most Islamic teaching, so this shouldn't be an issue for them.
How can you ban teachers from fasting?
Original post by quentinhamilton
How can you ban teachers from fasting?

This - "Have you eaten today?", " yes".
Reply 4
Meh, on one hand i get that teachers for instance not eating could be seen to impact their ability to do their job but at the same time its like what 12 hours? Then they eat a giant meal. It's hardly going to have any serious effect on their ability to do their jobs, its not actually like they are starving themselves. This seems like it would be a nightmare to actually enforce however from that article they aren't just stopping fasting they are prohibiting the highlighted groups from attending any religious services and have mosques under 24/7 surveillance.
Reply 5
You can't stop people from fasting. I would just lie and say I have eaten.. what are they going to do follow you around the entire day to see if you ate or not.
Original post by Zizi11
You can't stop people from fasting. I would just lie and say I have eaten.. what are they going to do follow you around the entire day to see if you ate or not.

They certainly have the manpower to do that.
But they cant lie. that's the whole point of being religious.
[QUOTE=Friar Chris;57200705]I don't blame them, at least for the schools part. Teachers are not just responsible for themselves and their own safety and tasks, but of all the pupils under their supervision - it is not acceptable to compromise the education or safety of the pupils because a teacher chooses to put unusual strain on their physiology for personal spiritual purposes.

Children are also meant to be exempt from fasting in most Islamic teaching, so this shouldn't be an issue for them.

Just because you fast doesn't mean you become so inept you can't perform your job properly?
Original post by Zizi11

It's quite obvious if someone hasn't eaten for 12 hours, especially if it's not a desk job.
Have to agree with China's policy on religion.
Original post by Brownclown
Just because you fast doesn't mean you become so inept you can't perform your job properly?

Depends on the job. Should someone who works 9-5 at a desk in quite a relaxed, well-ventilated atmosphere be banned from fasting? No. Should a HGV driver on a long shift? Possibly, depending on the circumstances; the health effects could be quite dangerous in that sort of job.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
So what? They can make the rules that they want
How are they going to enforce this? Force feeding them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Lady Comstock;57216409]Depends on the job. Should someone who works 9-5 at a desk in quite a relaxed, well-ventilated atmosphere be banned from fasting? No. Should a HGV driver on a long shift? Possibly, depending on the circumstances; the health effects could be quite dangerous in that sort of job.

That's basic common sense - a teacher isn't exactly doing strenuous activity and putting people's lives at risk though
Whereas a HGV driver who's on the road for 10+ hours is a danger
I have an exam soon, am still fasting, if i fail it will have nothing to do with fasting because i have the ability to pretty much go to the breaking time.

You just need to eat a lot, make your diet long-lasting slowly digesting carbohydrates, and ensure you are hydrated well.

Not eating for nineteen or twenty hours is unlikely to have any negative long-lasting effect on otherwise healthy individuals. As always, seek medical help or advise if you suspect it effects your health, because in the case it does harm your health in a bad way, i don't think you're allowed to fast.
Original post by Brownclown
That's basic common sense - a teacher isn't exactly doing strenuous activity and putting people's lives at risk though
Whereas a HGV driver who's on the road for 10+ hours is a danger

Yes, they are different circumstances. It would depend on the teacher's performance though; if they are lethargic, fatigued and not doing a good job because they are clearly suffering health effects and not taking the fasting well, then I think the Head Teacher should be able to pull them in and express their concerns. Obviously China is being too heavy-handed, but here we take the other extreme and let it go unrestricted. That a HGV driver can do a 12 hour shift with the intention of fasting for the duration is bonkers to me.
The thing is, if people thought that fasting would affect their health in a way that will be dangerous to others, like the example of the driver, then they'd most probably take precautions, e.g make sure they're aren't overworking themselves. But they can't ban teachers from fasting, teachers act as role models to students, so they'd influence what the students believe, which includes religious beliefs in some cases.
[QUOTE=Lady Comstock;57216669]Yes, they are different circumstances. It would depend on the teacher's performance though; if they are lethargic, fatigued and not doing a good job because they are clearly suffering health effects and not taking the fasting well, then I think the Head Teacher should be able to pull them in and express their concerns. Obviously China is being too heavy-handed, but here we take the other extreme and let it go unrestricted. That a HGV driver can do a 12 hour shift with the intention of fasting for the duration is bonkers to me.

If someone suffers from health problems then they are not required to fast. So if someone tries fasting but are constantly feeling dizzy, or like they're going to faint then that persons well being is put first

I don't think that the theoretical HGV wouldn't be silly enough to risk driving for 10+ hours with no food or coffee. If they did then I'd put it down to shear idiocy rather than the religion forcing him to fast. I know Muslim doctors especially on night shifts who don't fast because it compromised patient safety

Quick Reply

Latest