nathanr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
As many others have across the nation, I've just finished my GCSE's, but my situation is a little messy. I've been given the opportunity to board at a private american institute to finish my High School years (11th and 12th grade) and this seems to be a good option for going into American or English universities. However, I'm very interested in doing A-Levels and remaining in England for the next 2 years. I would be willing to take online classes, possibly AP courses, to ensure that I can achieve higher qualifications, but I am unsure if this would be the correct path to take. I am interested in working in the film industry, if this is helpful in any way.
GCSE predictions are mainly A*'s, A's and B's.

Thanks,
Nathan.
mathplustutornj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You won't be able to prepare for A-levels and probably won't be able to sit for them. The education will be more general and less oriented toward exam prep. I don't think it matters that much in terms of university admission.

British schools will look for AP exams and maybe SAT IIs simulating A-levels. That is what they look for with US applicants, and for some other countries that don't have A-levels and they don't trust the local exams. It is hard to get into Oxbridge from the US, but to be honest your scores probably aren't at that level anyway. It shouldn't be a problem for anywhere else.

There might be some advantage in applying in the US, as you won't be considered international, will have US grades and exams, and presumably will have gone to a good school. I am not sure the other factors involved, but if it is a decent prep school, then it might be a good idea.
mathplustutornj
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Many US prep schools are not that oriented toward directly preparing for AP exams. It is a different mentality than in the UK. They don't think there job is exam prep, AP exams aren't as important as SATs in the US, and colleges will accept students based on grades and rank at their school. I would look at the catalog and see what AP classes they have. Some of the math and science classes aren't called AP, but cover that material. Some government run schools in the US are more oriented toward AP courses.

You should be able to take a lot of AP exams regardless, which is what you would need for British schools. As indicated before, it would be an advantage applying to US universities, but probably not applying to British universities. It might be worth going to an excellent school, even if it will not improve your admission chances in the UK.

You can google "us prep school rankings". This will give you some idea, but there are fine schools not on the list.
http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...w-hampshire-50
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (126)
43%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.36%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (117)
39.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.71%

Watched Threads