The Student Room Group

Parents - overreacting?

I'm born to Nigerian parents who, whilst having my best interests at heart surely, obviously differ when it comes to parenting on account of cultural differences. Today I said I was meeting a schoolmate and my parents warned me that it'd better not be someone I met on the internet and they asked me his name, what he looks like, (even though we're both male and in the same year) who his parents are and their careers, his 'phone no and exactly where and when we'd be meeting. Eventually I got fed up of their questions and said I'd just meet him next week but they were all "the days are evil, I'm sure if his parents asked is the same questions he'd happily answer khan but you're so stubborn".

And there was another time where my phone wasn't receiving any texts and I decided to stay in sixth form to complete some work and after leaving me a torrent of panicked voicemails they went to the local police station to report me missing because I was home an hour later than the usual time... in broad daylight.

What do you think - overprotective or not? How can I get through to them and tell them to stop worrying excessively about my safety?
This is definitely way too overprotective. If you are in sixth form then I assume you are at least 16 and should therefore be allowed to meet up with a friend from school in the day time. I kind of understand the whole internet thing as there are many horror stories about this but as long as you video chat and meet in a public place you should be okay.

Being home one hour later then usual in the day time should definitely not have caused them to repeatedly you missing but if you know they worry this much you should have called them to save you the stress of them overreacting.

It sounds tough but you will be going to university/moving out soon and can then make your own decisions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending