TanveerSFC
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
so I just finished my Bsc (Hons) IT and got a 1st class.

I did 3 years straight, with no placement year, hence I lack experience in the industry.

My uni have offered me a free Msc Comp Sci
http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/compu...e-engineering2

but I dont know if I should do it

a) it's been hard 3 years with no money
b) I am the man of the house now (family problems)
c) what doors / opportunities will it open for me?

I feel as if getting a job even after the Msc will still be hard, due to my lack of industry experience. Hence Im not sure whether to do it.
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TanveerSFC)
so I just finished my Bsc (Hons) IT and got a 1st class.

I did 3 years straight, with no placement year, hence I lack experience in the industry.

My uni have offered me a free Msc Comp Sci
http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/compu...e-engineering2

but I dont know if I should do it

a) it's been hard 3 years with no money
b) I am the man of the house now (family problems)
c) what doors / opportunities will it open for me?

I feel as if getting a job even after the Msc will still be hard, due to my lack of industry experience. Hence Im not sure whether to do it.
It's free. Do it!
TimeWalker
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do it if it's free.
TanveerSFC
Rep:
?
are you guys serious LOL, What about my lack of experience??
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That Masters has a module on Work Placement. Alternatively, you can apply for a job and do the free masters part-time, best of both worlds.
Async
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Experience > Degree qualitfication
TanveerSFC
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juichiro)
That Masters has a module on Work Placement. Alternatively, you can apply for a job and do the free masters part-time, best of both worlds.
brilliant idea, so part time work and part time study? I dont think I'll be able to manage both well if a full time job is 40 hours per week
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
brilliant idea, so part time work and part time study? I dont think I'll be able to manage both well if a full time job is 40 hours per week
I am sure it won't be full-time. The job placement is with the Masters so they know you are studying. They will go easy on padawans like you.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Async)
Experience > Degree qualitfication
It is a free qualification and it comes with the possibility of a job placement. Would be mad not to take it.
Async
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is a free qualification and it comes with the possibility of a job placement. Would be mad not to take it.
What difference is a masters really going to make?
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Async)
What difference is a masters really going to make?
a) He gets support finding a job.

b) He enjoys learning from experts for FREE

c) He develops a more advanced understanding of his subject than his former undergraduate fellows

d) He ends up more qualified than the average undergraduate (and possibly, with work experience)
Async
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
a) He gets support finding a job.

b) He enjoys learning from experts for FREE

c) He develops a more advanced understanding of his subject than his former undergraduate fellows

d) He ends up more qualified than the average undergraduate (and possibly, with work experience)
Fair enough...
But I think if OP has the chance to do the masters later and still have it for free that he should defo go get a job first and get some real world experience
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Async)
Fair enough...
But I think if OP has the chance to do the masters later and still have it for free that he should defo go get a job first and get some real world experience
Totally agree. But it is not realistic to expect the uni to keep the offer of a free Masters. But if OP had such guarantee, he should defer his Masters, go out there and become the next game changer.
hellodave5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Free....
These things usually cost a fair bit!
I'd go for it. It gives you a good advantage. Perhaps you could even do it part time, and work part time?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Read the link - he has to find his own work placement. If he can do that he might as well get a job. Experience beats degrees in this field.
Juichiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Read the link - he has to find his own work placement. If he can do that he might as well get a job. Experience beats degrees in this field.
If he has to do that, he might as well do it so ends up with a) work experience and b) a Masters qualification for FREE. You can't beat that.
stephenwenn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the masters is free then why not? The lack of experience is always going to be against you with or without a masters, and the only way to get this is via a job or freelance work.

If you don't feel up for it or it's not viable then you've got your answer, but if you are enticed to towards the further study then you've got nothing to lose and all to gain.
TanveerSFC
Rep:
?
Well if there is a guaranteed placement opportunity I will re-consider it, however I feel like I am in a situation where I need to get some industry experience.

Just spoke with the uni, I cannot defer it for next year... so it's either I do it this September 2015 or not at all.

edit: might just do, uni experience is once in a life time and I wont get this chance ever again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (107)
27.65%
England (131)
33.85%
Belgium (30)
7.75%
Germany (41)
10.59%
Spain (8)
2.07%