Qwertyuiop124
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have focused in textiles throughout doing this GCSE but would I need to know about woods, metals, plastics and foods for the exam?
Qwertyuiop124
Rep:
?
Or about electrical and mechanic components
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, you do. You'll need to know the properties of all those materials and what products they are best suited for as a result. You'll also need to know about manufactured boards, ceramics, fixings and bindings, standard components etc.

For the manufacturing side you'll need to revise different tools, manufacturing methods, manufacturing aids (jigs, moulds, templates) and it wouldn't harm looking at CAD/CAM either.
Looking at packaging is also beneficial, especially some of the labelling and branding. You may want to look at the way packaging can stand out e.g: foil blocking, female/male embossing, panels.
I'd also suggest going through past papers, as they are generally all similar to one another each year so will give you an estimate of the types of questions/ grade you may achieve!
You could also revise safety aspects, environmental issues, quality control and human factors in design (ergonomics and anthropometrics)
Best of luck
Qwertyuiop124
Rep:
?
Well that's my A* slipping away. I've never heard of half of that stuff you just mentioned. A proper teacher that was there for our lessons would've helped 😒
Qwertyuiop124
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for answering though 😊
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qwertyuiop124)
Thank you so much for answering though 😊
PM me if you have any questions or need any revision material!
lubna1998
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which exam board are you on?
Qwertyuiop124
Rep:
?
Aqa
lubna1998
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not sure if this site would help the AQA students but I'd have a look (it's got pretty much everything):
Product Design
Qwertyuiop124
Rep:
?
Thank you so much! It'll definitely come in useful. I don't have anything at all to use as revision material
KD1024
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't need to learn all materials! Only need to know paper/card and one other chosen material which can be timber, metals, new materials etc.
Read spec if not sure
Qwertyuiop124
Rep:
?
I didn't think I had to to be honest. I know paper and card and textiles. I checked the spec this morning to be sure. Thank you for replying though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (225)
46.58%
Take exams next summer (67)
13.87%
Change uni choice through clearing (108)
22.36%
Apply to uni next year instead (50)
10.35%
I'm not applying to university (33)
6.83%

Watched Threads