Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have focused in textiles throughout doing this GCSE but would I need to know about woods, metals, plastics and foods for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Or about electrical and mechanic components

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you do. You'll need to know the properties of all those materials and what products they are best suited for as a result. You'll also need to know about manufactured boards, ceramics, fixings and bindings, standard components etc.

For the manufacturing side you'll need to revise different tools, manufacturing methods, manufacturing aids (jigs, moulds, templates) and it wouldn't harm looking at CAD/CAM either.
    Looking at packaging is also beneficial, especially some of the labelling and branding. You may want to look at the way packaging can stand out e.g: foil blocking, female/male embossing, panels.
    I'd also suggest going through past papers, as they are generally all similar to one another each year so will give you an estimate of the types of questions/ grade you may achieve!
    You could also revise safety aspects, environmental issues, quality control and human factors in design (ergonomics and anthropometrics)
    Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Well that's my A* slipping away. I've never heard of half of that stuff you just mentioned. A proper teacher that was there for our lessons would've helped 😒

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for answering though 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertyuiop124)
    Thank you so much for answering though 😊
    PM me if you have any questions or need any revision material!

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Aqa

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this site would help the AQA students but I'd have a look (it's got pretty much everything):
    Product Design

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much! It'll definitely come in useful. I don't have anything at all to use as revision material

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to learn all materials! Only need to know paper/card and one other chosen material which can be timber, metals, new materials etc.
    Read spec if not sure

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think I had to to be honest. I know paper and card and textiles. I checked the spec this morning to be sure. Thank you for replying though

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.