MarciaLiu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So basically, I was supposed to do a second year in my HND course at college however, after finishing my HNC (first year) I decided not to progress to HND and apply for the first year of uni (which I got an unconditional offer) and here is my question: Will SAAS still pay for my tuition fees? I understand that they pay for 4 years+1. If they wouldn't consider my first year of uni since I did HNC could I use my 1+ year? Although for me going to university is like progressing to a higher level which shouldn't really matter. I never studied at the university before.
And yes, I did try calling SAAS, even sending them an email but they do not respond and never pick up the calling.

I used only 1 year of SAAS funding which was the first year of HND (which really, is supposed to be a HNC)
Emi009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there SAAS will fund you for the 1st year of university if you've completed an HNC without using up your +1.

The 4 years+1 of funding is sort of a myth as SAAS will continue to fund you as long as your progressing up an academic level as well as one repeat year, so they'll fund your HNC as well as 4 years of uni without using up your repeat year.

I'm well familiar with this topic as ive completed an HND while a friend of mine only did the HNC but we both applied for uni this year at different levels, myself going into second year and her going into first. My friend was assured that if she went into 1st year of uni with an HNC SAAS would fully fund her for all four years without using her +1. It would only count as a +1 if you were to go into 1st year with a full HND.
However when my friend applied to SAAS her awards notice stated that going into 1st year with an HNC would use her +1 but when she rang to clarify this as we'd been informed differently they confirmed they'd actually made a mistake and her +1 would not be used when going into 1st year with an HNC.

So yes SAAS will fund you all four years of uni without using your +1 and if they make a mistake telling you otherwise just give them a quick call to fix it
MarciaLiu
Rep:
?
Oh my God, thank you so much for that answer, I was totally freaking out, especially that I couldn't find the answer anywhere
Emi009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MarciaLiu)
Oh my God, thank you so much for that answer, I was totally freaking out, especially that I couldn't find the answer anywhere
Not a problem Glad i could help seeing as i went through a similiar freak out because it's an oddly specific situation! The only reason we managed to get these answers is because we happened to ask a SAAS rep at an Open Day on the off chance and luckily found out what we needed.
MarciaLiu
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emi009)
Not a problem Glad i could help seeing as i went through a similiar freak out because it's an oddly specific situation! The only reason we managed to get these answers is because we happened to ask a SAAS rep at an Open Day on the off chance and luckily found out what we needed.
I just got a letter from SAAS saying that they will pay for my tuition fees! Ahh good news! Once again, thank you so much for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.55%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.13%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.1%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.13%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (77)
28.62%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.47%

Watched Threads