The Student Room Group

Work experience for Medicine/Dentistry

So basically I have done no work experience and I want to apply to either Medicine or Dentistry but I am still undecided but I think i prefer Dentistry. My last exam is on Monday and I was planning to call/visit/email various different places for 1-2 weeks shadowing/work experience/voluntary work etc.

I was wondering whether it is too late and whether most places will be full and also where 1 or 2 weeks work experience is a bit optimistic - for example at a GP, Dental Practice or even a hospital.

Also, for someone in my position, how much work experience would you recommend - taking into account that I also need to prepare for the UKCAT?

Thanks!
What year are you in? I'm in a similar position to you, although I'm going to do medicine. Because my hospital asked for teamwork/volunteering experience, and I didn't have any, I decided to do the NCS, which will hopefully give me a start.
Reply 2
Original post by yukicookie
What year are you in? I'm in a similar position to you, although I'm going to do medicine. Because my hospital asked for teamwork/volunteering experience, and I didn't have any, I decided to do the NCS, which will hopefully give me a start.

Im in year 12 going into year 13, wbu? :smile:
Original post by qwerty123A
So basically I have done no work experience and I want to apply to either Medicine or Dentistry but I am still undecided but I think i prefer Dentistry. My last exam is on Monday and I was planning to call/visit/email various different places for 1-2 weeks shadowing/work experience/voluntary work etc.

I was wondering whether it is too late and whether most places will be full and also where 1 or 2 weeks work experience is a bit optimistic - for example at a GP, Dental Practice or even a hospital.

Also, for someone in my position, how much work experience would you recommend - taking into account that I also need to prepare for the UKCAT?

Thanks!

1 or 2 weeks is about right for a GP surgery or dental practice (you should do both to help you decide). For a hospital it is highly variable, some people only get a couple of days (those who get longer it is often because they know someone), you will be lucky to get anything at all at this short notice, as arranging work experience with the NHS can be a long-winded business.

As a rule having a week or two of actual work experience and a year (e.e. one day once a week) of volunteering in a relevant role (care home etc) is considered good.

You need to decide quickly, most medical/dental applicants will have arranged this all a long time ago, but you may be able to squeeze enough work exp in that you can talk in your PS about how it helped you find your vocation and expand your relevant skills as long as you do not apply anywhere that has a specific requirement for length/hours of work experience (and relevant proof).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending