The Student Room Group

Very awkward crush moment ?

Well I didnt really know my cousins in India and basically I started speaking to her a lot when I went there and I speak to her a lot now. I have a crush on her but to me coming from England it feels really awkward I mean she's my first cousin which really puts me off. But I never spoke to her much before and its not like we grew up together.

If anything would happen my family wouldnt like it as they would see it as '
inbreeding' which is understandable and thats on my mind too. But she's from India and its common there for first cousins to marry and things.My dad and her mum dont really get on as they had a dispute before.

We get on well and I can see interest on her behalf, what can I do ? What have I got my self into :s-smilie: how can I leave it she's really nice but you know this cant happen. Fair enough you cant really control who you like, a lot of my friends who are Indian/Pakistani dont see a problem with it and are like if your both happy its alright. Buts its not.
Think of her as a relative, not a girl. Maybe that will help.
Wtf that's really weird
Have you moved to India or is she in England now though? or do you want to make it long distance.. ? :s-smilie:

I dont know, the first cousin thing is kinda weird though you didnt grow up together so I guess it isnt that bad... idk, is she interested?
There's no problem with that. You're making a big deal out of nothing, you've made it very awkward for yourself for no good reason, so perhaps you should just forget about her because you're always going to find it weird (when really there's nothing wrong with it).
Reply 5
Original post by Liquid Harvest
There's no problem with that. You're making a big deal out of nothing, you've made it very awkward for yourself for no good reason, so perhaps you should just forget about her because you're always going to find it weird (when really there's nothing wrong with it).

So there's nothing wrong with crushing on your cousin despite you being closely related ? How do you mean there's nothing wrong with it ? What about the way my family will react to it ?

Im not going to always find it weird.
Reply 6
Original post by driftawaay
Have you moved to India or is she in England now though? or do you want to make it long distance.. ? :s-smilie:

I dont know, the first cousin thing is kinda weird though you didnt grow up together so I guess it isnt that bad... idk, is she interested?

I went on holiday there for couple of weeks I came back 2 weeks ago. Its not weird for her or other people in India as marrying cousins is very common there. Yeah she is interested.
Original post by Anonymous
So there's nothing wrong with crushing on your cousin despite you being closely related ? How do you mean there's nothing wrong with it ? What about the way my family will react to it ?

Im not going to always find it weird.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I do not understand why people get so upset and flustered whenever this topic is brought up. It's perfectly fine. Yes you're related, but it's not like she's your sibling!! I don't think it'll be okay for you because you've already made up your mind and decided that this is strange and wrong, you're probably influenced by social norms and wouldn't dare do something to challenge them. So for you its always going to be weird because that's how you view it in your mind. So maybe it's not the best thing for you. But as I keep saying, there isn't anything wrong with it at all.

About your family - that might be a very difficult thing to explain to them. I don't know what your family dynamic is like, you might face a lot of disapproval and resistance and it might be too much to deal with. But if you were serious about this girl and you wanted to pursue something serious, then when the time is right, bring it up to your parents and discuss and be firm. I'm not sure what you're after, I don't know really. Parents always love to get in the way when it comes to their children choosing potential spouses, especially south Asian parents, they are so stubborn and difficult. They might never approve and it'll cause a lot of stress for you. Anyway, it all depends on your family dynamic and whay exactly it is that you're after.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I do not understand why people get so upset and flustered whenever this topic is brought up. It's perfectly fine. Yes you're related, but it's not like she's your sibling!! I don't think it'll be okay for you because you've already made up your mind and decided that this is strange and wrong, you're probably influenced by social norms and wouldn't dare do something to challenge them. So for you its always going to be weird because that's how you view it in your mind. So maybe it's not the best thing for you. But as I keep saying, there isn't anything wrong with it at all.

About your family - that might be a very difficult thing to explain to them. I don't know what your family dynamic is like, you might face a lot of disapproval and resistance and it might be too much to deal with. But if you were serious about this girl and you wanted to pursue something serious, then when the time is right, bring it up to your parents and discuss and be firm. I'm not sure what you're after, I don't know really. Parents always love to get in the way when it comes to their children choosing potential spouses, especially south Asian parents, they are so stubborn and difficult. They might never approve and it'll cause a lot of stress for you. Anyway, it all depends on your family dynamic and whay exactly it is that you're after.

I suppose you are right due to the fact that we never grew up together and she's not like my sibling. Some of my friends have married their cousins too. I have not made up my mind properly its mainly here in the UK its frowned upon. But you have put it in a different perspective thats made me think theres nothing majorly wrong with it.

Yeah the family bloody hell your right south asian parents will get involved heavily which is stupid if something does happen its between me and her and theres no reason for them to become involved in what we do. In regard to your last part 'what exactly it is that you're after' what do you mean by this ? If anything a relationship then marriage. If it happens.
I suppose you are right due to the fact that we never grew up together and she's not like my sibling. Some of my friends have married their cousins too. I have not made up my mind properly its mainly here in the UK its frowned upon. But you have put it in a different perspective thats made me think theres nothing majorly wrong with it.

Yeah the family bloody hell your right south asian parents will get involved heavily which is stupid if something does happen its between me and her and theres no reason for them to become involved in what we do. In regard to your last part 'what exactly it is that you're after' what do you mean by this ? If anything a relationship then marriage. If it happens.

Honestly you dont even have to tell people in the UK that she is your cousin. It's not like anyone will even ask 'is she your relative' when you introduce her (unless she looks like you lol) so whatever.

I'm just a stranger on the internet so don't let me influence your decisions too much. I certainly wouldn't have any problem at all in pursuing a relationship with a cousin if I was seriously considering her for marriage (though I don't know any of my cousins so this is hypothetical). If you're truly okay with then that's fine, but if you have reservations about it then you should address those. You shouldn't really be put off your cousin just because society (including tsr) tells you it's wrong. It's your choice to make, not anyone else's, not tsr and not your family. Just you. People have been marrying their cousins for thousands of years, it's acceptable in Indian culture so I don't see why it would be an issue. I assume you're Indian, correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure why your parents are against the idea.

So you want to have a relationship and then possibly consider marrying her, in that case you should bring it up in discussion with your parents, when the time is right and you're both ready to get married. Might be difficult with you living in separate countries, but when the time comes, tell your parents what you want to do and they'll probably not be too happy at the beginning, but do your best, be firm, do the best you can (if you're serious about wanting to marry her) and you never know they might just say yes. They don't have to like it, all you need from them is their approval. I wouldn't go behind their backs and do my own thing obviously, it's good to try to reason with them, hopefully that works...
I'm just a stranger on the internet so don't let me influence your decisions too much. I certainly wouldn't have any problem at all in pursuing a relationship with a cousin if I was seriously considering her for marriage (though I don't know any of my cousins so this is hypothetical). If you're truly okay with then that's fine, but if you have reservations about it then you should address those. You shouldn't really be put off your cousin just because society (including tsr) tells you it's wrong. It's your choice to make, not anyone else's, not tsr and not your family. Just you. People have been marrying their cousins for thousands of years, it's acceptable in Indian culture so I don't see why it would be an issue. I assume you're Indian, correct me if I'm wrong. Not sure why your parents are against the idea.

So you want to have a relationship and then possibly consider marrying her, in that case you should bring it up in discussion with your parents, when the time is right and you're both ready to get married. Might be difficult with you living in separate countries, but when the time comes, tell your parents what you want to do and they'll probably not be too happy at the beginning, but do your best, be firm, do the best you can (if you're serious about wanting to marry her) and you never know they might just say yes. They don't have to like it, all you need from them is their approval. I wouldn't go behind their backs and do my own thing obviously, it's good to try to reason with them, hopefully that works...

Dont worry I wont let your decision ifluence may you just made me think about the situation from a different perspective. But I will think about the situation for myself I have discussed it with friends and now on TSR. Yes I am Indian muslim born in the UK.

I will only bring it up with my parents when me and her are both serious and have a good relationship going on, not now though maybe after a year or two who knows only when the time is right, but to marry someone I have to love her and vice versa. My parents would be against it because like I said my dad and her mum had a small argument.
Dont worry I wont let your decision ifluence may you just made me think about the situation from a different perspective. But I will think about the situation for myself I have discussed it with friends and now on TSR. Yes I am Indian muslim born in the UK.

I will only bring it up with my parents when me and her are both serious and have a good relationship going on, not now though maybe after a year or two who knows only when the time is right, but to marry someone I have to love her and vice versa. My parents would be against it because like I said my dad and her mum had a small argument.

Ah I see. Inshallah it works out for you. And try your best to keep it halal, just a tip. As you know, it's perfectly acceptable in Islam and in Indian culture, so you won't have a problem there with marrying your cousin (if that's what you eventually decide to do). You sound like you've thought about it a lot and know what you want, so go with it, see how it goes, and hopefully when you're ready, you won't face too much resistance from your parents and that argument will just be water under the bridge. And during these one or two years, you'll both be living in separate countries? Or do you plan to go there to her or is she going to come here...? I'm nosy.
Ah I see. Inshallah it works out for you. And try your best to keep it halal, just a tip. As you know, it's perfectly acceptable in Islam and in Indian culture, so you won't have a problem there with marrying your cousin (if that's what you eventually decide to do). You sound like you've thought about it a lot and know what you want, so go with it, see how it goes, and hopefully when you're ready, you won't face too much resistance from your parents and that argument will just be water under the bridge. And during these one or two years, you'll both be living in separate countries? Or do you plan to go there to her or is she going to come here...? I'm nosy.

Yeah whatever is written in my kismat and I am doing dua for guidance. I dont think the argument will be water under the bridge. Basically her mum kept asking us for things like money and mobile phones which was disrespectful to us as they are well off there. I thought it was disrespectful of her to ask us that too. If anything our parents should look at it for our happiness and our choice. If I have permission and we both agree to get married, I will go over there and hopefully bring her over here, so long as I am economically stable enough.
You're related by blood. She's your first cousin - so in my view she's like a sister, at least that's how I would see her.

In my view, nothing romantic can or should happen.

I don't know anything about how its perceived in different cultures. The above is only my views.
Well I didnt really know my cousins in India and basically I started speaking to her a lot when I went there and I speak to her a lot now. I have a crush on her but to me coming from England it feels really awkward I mean she's my first cousin which really puts me off. But I never spoke to her much before and its not like we grew up together.

inbreeding' which is understandable and thats on my mind too. But she's from India and its common there for first cousins to marry and things.My dad and her mum dont really get on as they had a dispute before.

We get on well and I can see interest on her behalf, what can I do ? What have I got my self into :s-smilie: how can I leave it she's really nice but you know this cant happen. Fair enough you cant really control who you like, a lot of my friends who are Indian/Pakistani dont see a problem with it and are like if your both happy its alright. Buts its not.

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of cousins in a relationship. I'd say if you really like each other just go for it, to hell with your parents views. Its not like she's your sister and you don't even see her as your sister.Just give it a try don't let something like this stop you. In fact in other religions you are supposed to give first preference to your cousin.

First you should talk to her again to see if she really likes you and you should tell someone about how you feel and confide in them. How about your mum? Does she have an understanding character? Is she patient? If she does then she's the right choice. Just tell her everything and see how she reacts to it. Then she will take the next steps. Btw how old are you? Sorry if it's personal
I also think that marrying your first cousin is not that weird and it's a lot common in North India and some parts of South. And the argument with your dad and her mum, after you two get married it will just fade in time. Do you have any grandparents living in the UK??
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending