The Student Room Group

Career in History? Need advice on choosing a degree

Hi

I take Chem, Bio, Hist, and Pysch and I am thinking of either doing History or Pyschology at A level. I am most likely going to get around D(or C)/A/A/A (AS) and I will be dropping chem in September.

I want advice on which degree would be better for me

If I take the history route I would want to do History and Politics / Pure History

If History is not what I am most passionate about then I might consider a career in pyschology.

I just want to know, do employers see History to be a more valued degree than Psychology. I am considering careers in the Private sector at places like KPMG, being apart of Advisory/Audit, or in the Public sector as a civil servant/ other opportunities.

However if I do take Psychology I may be more interested in careers in the NHS... its just a lot of employers do not actually indicate what degree they want - they are simply searching for those with the capability of undertaking a degree to a high standard, does History put me in front of people with Psych?

And also any info on career salaries?

This is often because Pyschology is considered a soft A level because it is relatively new (yet well established), I personally, do not consider it to be soft but others do and I just want to know if this continues through employment and such.

I would personally prefer Psychology more over History but also enjoy History so I want to take either further - there is far more competition for History than Psych but this does not neccessarily indicate the quality of the degree.

I would most likely look into places at Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool etc

A lot of places are easier on entry for Psych but not for History
I know this is a huge decision to make in your life but with your natural sciences: bio/chem with social sciences: history and psychology would be good for History and Philosophy of Science or Science and Technology studies at UCL.

[video]https://youtu.be/IApkelIJtbY[/video]

You can go on to further study at Imperial, Oxford, Cambridge or even Harvard!

You can study the likes of Charles Darwin and his explorations, or medicine such as the discovery of penicillin or Galileo and his creation of the telescope or Alan Turing and the founding of computing. I really like the philosophy of information module at UCL, which to me is fascinating! What is the future of the internet? What of Artificial Intelligence?

You could go on to write for magazines such as New Scientist.

Write books about previous said famous people.

Consult on films about science fiction like Transcendence.

Also writing for the Guardian / Telegraph / Financial Times / Daily Mail.

Making documentaries with BBC Science

Consult to government about science policy.

Government Office for Science

London has the Royal Society (with shown library to study at)

and the Royal Institution, Royal Society for Chemistry and so much more. LSE has a Philosophy of Science department so there will be plenty to be getting on with.

So just an idea.. :biggrin:
Original post by TrojanH
Hi

I take Chem, Bio, Hist, and Pysch and I am thinking of either doing History or Pyschology at A level. I am most likely going to get around D(or C)/A/A/A (AS) and I will be dropping chem in September.

I want advice on which degree would be better for me

If I take the history route I would want to do History and Politics / Pure History

If History is not what I am most passionate about then I might consider a career in pyschology.

I just want to know, do employers see History to be a more valued degree than Psychology. I am considering careers in the Private sector at places like KPMG, being apart of Advisory/Audit, or in the Public sector as a civil servant/ other opportunities.

However if I do take Psychology I may be more interested in careers in the NHS... its just a lot of employers do not actually indicate what degree they want - they are simply searching for those with the capability of undertaking a degree to a high standard, does History put me in front of people with Psych?

And also any info on career salaries?

This is often because Pyschology is considered a soft A level because it is relatively new (yet well established), I personally, do not consider it to be soft but others do and I just want to know if this continues through employment and such.

I would personally prefer Psychology more over History but also enjoy History so I want to take either further - there is far more competition for History than Psych but this does not neccessarily indicate the quality of the degree.

I would most likely look into places at Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool etc

A lot of places are easier on entry for Psych but not for History

Hi :smile:

I study straight History at university, and I would definitely say that you really need to be passionate about the subject to enjoy the degree, but I suppose that applied to all degrees.

A History degree will be more valuable than a Psychology degree in the sense that History is seen as a more academic subject, and would therefore open more academic opportunities. Having said that, a degree in Psychology is also valuable and respected. History can open up so many doors in legal, administrative, and teaching professions, as you can always do a law conversion after your degree if you so wished. You can do postgraduate study, too, if you wanted to go into museum curation or archival work, or if you wanted to lecture/teach within a university.

Psychology-wise, there's not as much room to move. A humanities degree, such as History or English, can open doors in numerous careers, but science-based subjects are usually taken with a specific career in mind. For example, most people who take psychology know they want to have a career in psychology. If you think you might change your mind in relation to your chosen career, then History would allow you a bit more movement.

Just choose a subject you enjoy. I know that you should think about how your degree could lead to a career, but I honestly think that you should put your love for a subject over prospective careers. I chose History because I want to have a career in History, but primarily because I love the subject. If you enjoy your degree, you will more-than-likely get a better degree than if you chose a degree that you didn't enjoy as much, but had more career opportunities. Every degree can lead to several career paths, so just choose a degree that you would enjoy.

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
I know many people who graduated university with a degree in psychology, ended up working in retail, and had to go back to university to retrain in something else for their career.

If you want to go into a Psychology related career, you'll need to do post-graduate study and get an MA. Having an undergrad degree in it won't be incredibly useful. Bare in mind as well, that you don't actually need an undergraduate degree in Psychology to do an MA in it afterwards (eg. you could do History, a better undergrad degree, and then switch to Psychology afterwards).

However, you might find scraping the funds together for your MA difficult, or you might even find that you're tired of education by your final year of your undergrad (a lot of people are). For that reason, I would choose a better undergrad degree like History or English Lit (if possible). If you're fed up with education and have no money by the end of it, you can still find a decent job with just your undergrad, or if you do want to head back to uni again, great, you can do that too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending