Inquisitive_One
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I really want to do a Psychology related EPQ and I've been trying to come up with various ideas over the past few weeks. I'm now very stressed as it seems as though everyone has a question and is starting their research and I just have no clue what I'm doing.

One of the ideas that I have thought of is doing something along the lines of whether Big Brother (the TV show) is a game show or a social experiment? Or something else to do with Derren Brown's works as these two things really interest me. But I don't know if I'd have enough to write. Can anyone think of anything Psychology/Sociology related to do with either Big Brother or Derren Brown that I could investigate? Any ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inquisitive_One)
I really want to do a Psychology related EPQ and I've been trying to come up with various ideas over the past few weeks. I'm now very stressed as it seems as though everyone has a question and is starting their research and I just have no clue what I'm doing.

One of the ideas that I have thought of is doing something along the lines of whether Big Brother (the TV show) is a game show or a social experiment? Or something else to do with Derren Brown's works as these two things really interest me. But I don't know if I'd have enough to write. Can anyone think of anything Psychology/Sociology related to do with either Big Brother or Derren Brown that I could investigate? Any ideas would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!
This is an EPQ, so realisitically it has to be some VERY simple. So that would rule out those things you mentioned. Can you just replicate a previous study? I'd pick something like memory and find a study that you can copy. Obviously cite where the study has come from, but I think coming up with an original experiment should not be expected at EPQ level!

If you look in social psychology you could try and do one of the simpler experiments from that. Be aware that recruiting a smaller number of people for an experiment will be easier than trying to get loads of people to do your questionaire.
Charlottelt
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks!
Hia!

I've just finished my second year at Northumbria doing Psychology and got an A in college for my EPQ. My title (no steals!) was "Assess the psychological causes of prejudice and discrimination in individuals and UK society". This lead to talking about personality psychology, social psychology and sociology.

I disagree with the comment above and believe you can write about whatever topic you wish however this should be done as an essay where you compare current research rather than as a lab report where you conduct your own research. You could look at something relating to the social psychology of groups where you have conformity and conflict and bring in experiments such as Sherif's summer camp study and the Stanford prison experiment and its adaptation by Reicher and Haslam. These are among the same lines as Big Brother but a bit more academically phrased. You could mention that there is widespread interest in group behaviour in your introduction and cite things such as Big Brother.

Some title along the lines of "Assess the contribution of group social psychology experiments to our understanding of individual behaviour in the social world."? Maybe, if you like it. What is it about Derren Brown that you like btw? I'm a big fan but if there was a specific aspect of his shown (deception, hypnosis, psychology in the media, etc) that you liked then you could focus on that instead.
IAmYourdog
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iammichealjackson)
This is an EPQ, so realisitically it has to be some VERY simple. .
Says who?
It can be advanced as you want it to be, however at least with AQA EPQ a lot of the marks had nothing to do with how well I understood my topic.

The 2 teachers that handled ours was A psyhology teacher and a history teacher.
I did can embryonic stem cell be justified and I spoke about some of the methods in depth and used very technical language that only a biologist would understand. I got an A.

But back to your topic title. You have to realistcally pick something that you can research quite easily. As above mine is highly debated so it took a few clicks to find all my research.
preetg97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It can be as complex or as simple as you like, just pick something that you're interested in and wouldn't mind devoting time into researching. It took me until November to come up with a proper title, and even then I changed it in February. My EPQ was fairly complex and I got an A* hopefully for it, my title was 'should embryonic stem cells be used in the treatment of macular degeneration?'. My classmate did one about psychology and she did really well.

The ideas that you've suggested sound dead interesting (coming from someone who doesn't do psychology or sociology). The best advice I can give you is to make your title as specific now as possible, and narrow it down as much as you can because it'll save you a lot of hassle in the long run. And importantly, remember that the topic area can't overlap with your studies!

Good luck with your researching and use a range of sources!
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by IAmYourdog)
Says who?
It can be advanced as you want it to be, however at least with AQA EPQ a lot of the marks had nothing to do with how well I understood my topic.

The 2 teachers that handled ours was A psyhology teacher and a history teacher.
I did can embryonic stem cell be justified and I spoke about some of the methods in depth and used very technical language that only a biologist would understand. I got an A.

But back to your topic title. You have to realistcally pick something that you can research quite easily. As above mine is highly debated so it took a few clicks to find all my research.
Oh fair enough i thought it had to be an experiment. In that case i though something along the lines of big brother would have been waayy to complicated.

Thanks!
A good place to start would be looking through experiments, textbooks and articles online in social psychology / sociology then starting with big brother or derren brown, which isn't really a good place to start from since its pop psychology.
notaloud
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by preetg97)
It can be as complex or as simple as you like, just pick something that you're interested in and wouldn't mind devoting time into researching. It took me until November to come up with a proper title, and even then I changed it in February. My EPQ was fairly complex and I got an A* hopefully for it, my title was 'should embryonic stem cells be used in the treatment of macular degeneration?'. My classmate did one about psychology and she did really well.

The ideas that you've suggested sound dead interesting (coming from someone who doesn't do psychology or sociology). The best advice I can give you is to make your title as specific now as possible, and narrow it down as much as you can because it'll save you a lot of hassle in the long run. And importantly, remember that the topic area can't overlap with your studies!

Good luck with your researching and use a range of sources!

hey if you don't mind can I please see your EPQ presentation and your 5000 word report ,because my topic is mainly related to yours so i just wanted to see what i have done compared to yours
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads