Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a model answer or model plan to this essay question or a similar one?

How successful were Hitler's economic policies from 1933 - 1939?

If you have then reply on here and i'll post my email addy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manps)
    Does anyone have a model answer or model plan to this essay question or a similar one?

I would have had a year ago, but I forgot. I think there was a very good German economist who rebuilt Germany after the hyperinflation by introducing the Rentenmark and other measures, and he was doing very well, but Hitler told him to prepare for war and to make Germany therefore unreliant on foreign imports. THis guy thought it would destroy the economy again, so Hitler hired another person as well who he gave power to. That's a trademark move of Hitler - don't fire anyone, just ignore the ones you don't like. This way, everyone did things to please him.

The new plan was called the 4 year plan I think. But like I said, this is very breif and I can't remember much about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manps)

go to kdhs.org.co.uk and u ll find the answer
    it has a lot of other plans etc

ReputationRep:
    its under reconstruction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    I would have had a year ago, but I forgot. I think there was a very good German economist who rebuilt Germany after the hyperinflation by introducing the Rentenmark and other measures, and he was doing very well, but Hitler told him to prepare for war and to make Germany therefore unreliant on foreign imports. THis guy thought it would destroy the economy again, so Hitler hired another person as well who he gave power to. That's a trademark move of Hitler - don't fire anyone, just ignore the ones you don't like. This way, everyone did things to please him.

The new plan was called the 4 year plan I think. But like I said, this is very breif and I can't remember much about it.
    Let me clarify this. In the 1920's Gustav Stresmann led Germany as Chancellor and Foreign Minister from strength to strength. He called off passive resistance in the Ruhr Valley, stopping Hyperinflation, then introducing the Rentenmark in November 1923 and restoring faith in the German Currency. Then he improved the political situation. The Locarno Treaties (1925) helped to bridge the gaps between Germany and its neighbours and she agreed not to change borders with Belgium, France, Holland, etc. this was an agreement with France, Britain, Italy, Russia (and others). So Germany edged on Political acceptance. This upped the amount of trade between the countries improving the economic situation.

This also lead to further political acceptance with German joining the League of Nations (1927?) and further trade. With the Dawes Plan of 1924 with the USA and the Young Plan of 1929, the reparation figure of £6,600 million was made more managable and Germany's economy grew to be rich and successful, improving on pre-WW1 rates of production.

This was the 1920's.

Gustav Stresmann Died in 1929 - (not sure of exact date) - this happened as the economy crashed down with the Wall Street Crash in the USA, and the loans from US bankers were wanted back, meaning there was a shortage of moneyy in the German economy. And with a world depression on - a shortage of buyers in the European Market.

Germany's economy faltered, and collapsed. It was this situation that allowed Hitler to come to power in 1933, with an increase in suppport for the Nazi party after the democracy of the Weimar Republic, and the Proportional Represntation System seem weak. At this peak of unemployment Hitler came to power.

Now his Economic Policies. I am not so strong here. I know that he created the RAD (Labour Front) and set up Autarky (Self Sufficiency) - creating many jobs and strengthening the level of industry in German. Also the introduction of Rearmament employed huge numbers of people, getting money circulated again and gradually getting the economy back on its feet. Also building the Autobahns and generally improving the situation of the public services (Not too unsimilar to Roosevelt's Policies in the USA - with the Alphabet Agencies - but done in a very different style).

Anyway, that is all I have got for you. Sorry about the ramble over the 1920's.

(Original post by mik1a)

I'll put in a bit of what I know to fill in one or two balnks ...

The economics minister involved in much of the rebuilding through the early period of Hitler's rule was a guy called Hjalmar Schacht, he was responsible for things like "mefo bills" (government IOU's for business'). He was a very experienced and talented economics minister who resigned in 1937. He resigned (supposedly) because Hitler put a moron (Goering) in charge of the 2nd four year plan. Schacht knew that the economy would overheat under these radical proposals and ideas that the inept Goering put forward in the persuit of Autarky (someone else expalined this I think) and so rather than be held responsible for the mess that would ensue, he allowed himself to be sidelined and replaced with Goering's "yes man" (his name escapes me). Bascially at the outbreak of war Germany still faced the "gun's vs butter" dillema on the home front and these economic problems lead many marxist historian to believe that Hitler had originally planned / wanted a short "war of plunder" to allow some economic gains to be made.

Sorry if I've gone off at a bit of a tangent but it was quite nice to see what I could remember without any revision (much like it will be in the exam )!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    he allowed himself to be sidelined and replaced with Goering's "yes man" (his name escapes me).
    I think his name was Funk, then again I could be wrong

Whoever pointed us to this kdhs site is great, it seems really good. You can get to the Nazi bit here:
    http://www.kdhs.org.uk/history/as/as...rmany33_39.htm

(Original post by paymaster)
    I think his name was Funk, then again I could be wrong

Whoever pointed us to this kdhs site is great, it seems really good. You can get to the Nazi bit here:
    http://www.kdhs.org.uk/history/as/as...rmany33_39.htm
    Ahh thats it, I knew there was a link to the 70's in there somewhere!!!

ReputationRep:
    many thanks to everyone. I have written an essay on this topic but i am going to edit it slightly over next few days. I would ideally like to foward the essay to historians who can criticise it so it wille eventually be a perfect essay. If you dont mind, then forward me you email address in a private message and i'll send it soon, thanks

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.