the History and Geography course Watch

Persil31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I really want to do a joint degree of history and geography. I really like the history side of the course at SOAS but I am a little worried about whether being between two unis (geography is taught at Kings) will make it harder for me to make friends, and how complicated it could end up in terms of admin. Has anyone done this course, or know someone who does?
Protagoras
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have looked at Social Anthropology at SOAS with Geography at King's with the intention of going to UCL for their Ethnographic Documentary Masters. I think of exploring the world and capturing what I find in film or photos and explaining it all would a fascinating thing to do!

I see it as two campuses easily accessible by one road with a constant stream of buses every 5 minutes so no problem there. Access to two incredible libraries. You would have two distinct groups. You would surrounded by people who do Geography and.. so you can speak with them about how their course makes them see Geography differently and again at SOAS people would be doing joint degrees in other subjects at SOAS so you won't be alone there.

Might I suggest asking this on the SOAS / or King's Geog facebook page/group.

What do you think you will do with this programme, i.e. your career vision?

I think History at SOAS is a very exciting programme with the United Kingdom's rich history of the British Empire, in India and the Middle East.

Have a watch of Rory Stewart's 'Afghanistan: the Great Game'

Protagoras
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
and also Lawrence of Arabia.

Persil31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
[QUOTE=Protagoras;57260847]I have looked at Social Anthropology at SOAS with Geography at King's with the intention of going to UCL for their Ethnographic Documentary Masters. I think of exploring the world and capturing what I find in film or photos and explaining it all would a fascinating thing to do!

I see it as two campuses easily accessible by one road with a constant stream of buses every 5 minutes so no problem there. Access to two incredible libraries. You would have two distinct groups. You would surrounded by people who do Geography and.. so you can speak with them about how their course makes them see Geography differently and again at SOAS people would be doing joint degrees in other subjects at SOAS so you won't be alone there.

Might I suggest asking this on the SOAS / or King's Geog facebook page/group.

What do you think you will do with this programme, i.e. your career vision?

I think History at SOAS is a very exciting programme with the United Kingdom's rich history of the British Empire, in India and the Middle East.

Have a watch of Rory Stewart's 'Afghanistan: the Great Game'

[/QUOT

I am not entirely sure where exactly I want to go with this degree. At the moment I have three sort of areas- secondary teaching, becoming an academic or working internationally in something. What sort of career are you thinking of?
Protagoras
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think of the explorers of the victorian age with the likes of Darwin with medals from the Royal Geographic Society and the Royal Society of London. I know that National Geographic has official photographers etc. so I'm sure there is something to do there or working with the United Nations.

If you are worried about making friends then be open to meeting people wherever you go and keeping hold of them by keeping in contact and be enthusiastic about what you are studying as there are plenty of like-minded people around you to listen to your stories and I'm sure they're full of enlightening stories themselves.

Best thing would be to do a round the world trip on a gap year with STA Travel.

Have a look at the Commonwealth Institute at the University of London which is good possible further graduate study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Jun '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (128)
17.9%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
10.21%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (123)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (103)
14.41%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (70)
9.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (218)
30.49%

Watched Threads