Are these subjects okay for an aspiring lawyer??

Watch
Ashahwe7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey Guys. In September I intend to study History, Maths, Business studies and Politics A levels. I was wondering would these subjects allow me to become a lawyer in a decent University, and if so what kind of grades would I need in them?

I am really stuck, i have to confirm my subject choices very soon, please help
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ashahwe7)
Hey Guys. In September I intend to study History, Maths, Business studies and Politics A levels. I was wondering would these subjects allow me to become a lawyer in a decent University, and if so what kind of grades would I need in them?

Maths and History are excellent choices, Politics and Business Studies are Ok but one of them at full A level would be fine. The likes of UCL, Bristol or Nottingham tend to expect A*AA.
Ellie504
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I am only a 1st year college student myself (just going into A2 now)

I currently study History, Law, Sociology and Psychology, and want to do Law/Law with Criminology at uni. Usually with a mix of 'facilitating subjects' like you have (Maths and History) 2 is enough to get you into any Russell Group Uni. I think if you are looking at those Unis for law, it can be anything from AAB-A*AA

I think those subject choices look pretty strong, just make sure that you're picking them because you WANT to do them, not because others have told you to do them. I picked English Literature at first, but realised I much preferred something new like Psychology and it was the best decision I made. You will automatically do better in the courses you want to do and find interesting.

Hope that kind of helps!x
Ashahwe7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Ellie504)
Hey, I am only a 1st year college student myself (just going into A2 now)

I currently study History, Law, Sociology and Psychology, and want to do Law/Law with Criminology at uni. Usually with a mix of 'facilitating subjects' like you have (Maths and History) 2 is enough to get you into any Russell Group Uni. I think if you are looking at those Unis for law, it can be anything from AAB-A*AA

I think those subject choices look pretty strong, just make sure that you're picking them because you WANT to do them, not because others have told you to do them. I picked English Literature at first, but realised I much preferred something new like Psychology and it was the best decision I made. You will automatically do better in the courses you want to do and find interesting.

Hope that kind of helps!x
That has helped thanks. Because I love the subjects I have chosen but a few of my friends have suggested I do English but detest it. That has really built my confidence thanks
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Those sound pretty decent to me.
AJC1997
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also wanting to study Law at university and Just finished doing my AS exams

My subjects were: History, Economics, Maths, Biology

I'll be dropping one of those four subjects, I'd assume that for Law It would make most sense for me to drop Biology and do History/Eco/Maths at A2?

However I really enjoy Biology and think I'd have a better chance of getting an A/A* In Biology over Maths, so would Biology/History/Economics be just as strong?

Thanks
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by AJC1997)
I'm also wanting to study Law at university and Just finished doing my AS exams

My subjects were: History, Economics, Maths, Biology

I'll be dropping one of those four subjects, I'd assume that for Law It would make most sense for me to drop Biology and do History/Eco/Maths at A2?

However I really enjoy Biology and think I'd have a better chance of getting an A/A* In Biology over Maths, so would Biology/History/Economics be just as strong?

Thanks
Yes; no law course is going to demand Maths instead of Biology.
mjrd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

They will be fine. Dont do subjects you dont like. Find out which exam board the coll uses and check out sept specs and see if it still interests you. History is a lot of essay work and a lot to remember but well respected in unis. Maths is hard and defo well respected and both these show diversity. Politics has a lot of work too but bussiness is a bit easier so you should not be too over worked.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads