The Student Room Group

Which is the lesser of the 3 evils?

I have to stay in London so chose City, Kent and Surrey as a back up for LSE, KCL and QMUL.

Does anyone have any real life experience or first hand feedback with regard to the reputation of City, Kent and Surrey? Looking at conflicting rankings depending on what tables you believe just doesn't seem to tell the real-life story.

If I don't get into the top unis, I'm swayed by City but I never hear anything about the place except that it has the best track record in terms of graduate employment.
The only one I've ever heard something good about is City; that's not to say that its the best though, could be just an expression of my ignorance.
Reply 2
Kent is wonderful :smile: They have such a good "Law Clinic" system in operation (or they used to.... check:smile:)

:smile: x
yeah, I think Kent is supposed to be quite good. Particularly because of the law clinic it runs
I think calling them 3 evils is a bit harsh!
Reply 5
I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that being an undergraduate lawyer at City guarantees you a place on their LPC course so that might be a consideration if you are planning on becoming a solicitor.

EDIT:

"Graduates of The City Law School's academic programmes can be guaranteed places on the ICSL's Legal Practice Course (subject to attaining the minimum grades required by the Law Society). Although the Bar Council does not allow provider institutions to guarantee places on the Bar Vocational Course, progression on to the ICSL's BVC is encouraged."

http://www.city.ac.uk/law/academic_programmes/CPE.html
I think LPC places are pretty much guaranteed somewhere provided you graduate with at least a 2:2 anyway. As for BVC, I'm not sure but I would venture to suggest that places are probably less forthcoming simply because of the lack of barristers!
Reply 7
Lewisy-boy
I think LPC places are pretty much guaranteed somewhere provided you graduate with at least a 2:2 anyway. As for BVC, I'm not sure but I would venture to suggest that places are probably less forthcoming simply because of the lack of barristers!
Hmm, but if the OP has applied to universities all in close proximity to London then I think that it is probably likely that when the time comes to do the LPC they'll want to stay in London. I agree, it shouldn't be your one and only reason for choosing the university but it could certainly be a factor if you are struggling to distinguish between them on other grounds.
Reply 8
Lewisy-boy

Most LPC providers will take you with a 3rd if they've got a space not filled and you're prepared to pay the fees!! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending