OAPA1861
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have to create an unethical experiment that is realistic but would never be done. The theme of the experiment is to investigate something to do with aggression!

Any ideas? All replies will be greatly appreciated.

(Any experiment with children is already slightly unethical due to lack of informed consent)
Ed's Balls
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
See how quickly you can start a riot by posting something about immigration.
OAPA1861
Rep:
(Original post by Ed's Balls)
See how quickly you can start a riot by posting something about immigration.
Any ideas?
OAPA1861
Rep:
Anyone?
OAPA1861
Rep:
Bump
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
surely forcing people to feel anger in itself is a little unethical, maybe something like triggering the parts of people brains that make them want to fight people and allowing them to fight each other or something like that?
OAPA1861
Rep:
(Original post by claireestelle)
surely forcing people to feel anger in itself is a little unethical, maybe something like triggering the parts of people brains that make them want to fight people and allowing them to fight each other or something like that?
I was thinking, subjecting 2 different groups of children to two different types of tv programs. The first, violent scenes and lots of aggression and the other a program with no aggressive behavior whatsoever.
claireestelle
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by OAPA1861)
I was thinking, subjecting 2 different groups of children to two different types of tv programs. The first, violent scenes and lots of aggression and the other a program with no aggressive behavior whatsoever.
sounds like its unethical enough to me
OAPA1861
Rep:
sounds like its unethical enough to me
I want something a bit more adventurous/creative though, I'm not good at that. Hence this post! I wish people had more ideas on here haha
claireestelle
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I want something a bit more adventurous/creative though, I'm not good at that. Hence this post! I wish people had more ideas on here haha
maybe everyone here is very ethical. I mean you could break other ethical principles like doing research that doesnt benefit people or causes more harm than necessary like psychological harm, how unethical do you need to be really?
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
This proposal of yours is already unethical.
OAPA1861
Rep:
maybe everyone here is very ethical. I mean you could break other ethical principles like doing research that doesnt benefit people or causes more harm than necessary like psychological harm, how unethical do you need to be really?
Realistic but impossible to ever carry out as a result of the high standards that have to be met with psychological research. Nothing too over the top and silly but something that does make a person think twice. Obviously the use of children regards the issue of informed consent but other factors could break the ethics that maintain deception, right to withdraw or protection from harm. I might also mention that the subjects will not be debriefed as so could suffer from long lasting psychological harm?
claireestelle
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
other factors could break the ethics that maintain deception, right to withdraw or protection from harm. I might also mention that the subjects will not be debriefed as so could suffer from long lasting psychological harm?
adding something deceptive in will certainly make it much more unethical for sure.
OAPA1861
Rep:
adding something deceptive in will certainly make it much more unethical for sure.
I could make it so the children do not know that they're partaking in an experiment and that also removes their right to withdraw! :-)
claireestelle
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I could make it so the children do not know that they're partaking in an experiment and that also removes their right to withdraw! :-)
i m not 100% sure they are always completely aware whats going on anyway but yes that would make it even worse ethically
OAPA1861
Rep:
i m not 100% sure they are always completely aware whats going on anyway but yes that would make it even worse ethically
Only parental permission would be required so that's also deception and informed consent in a way..
ilovereading
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Some examples of unethical experiments are Milgram and Zimbardo. There was this german film I watched in psychology based on Zimbardo's study which was pretty interesting since 2 people died and 3 people were injured (film was fictional).
mattyrich
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The question is with any testing: is it justified? i.e. is there a long term benefit that we can gain from any testing, because if not, then i don't think its justified,and no carried out.
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I have to create an unethical experiment that is realistic but would never be done. The theme of the experiment is to investigate something to do with aggression!

Any ideas? All replies will be greatly appreciated.

(Any experiment with children is already slightly unethical due to lack of informed consent)
Take inspiration from the milgram/bandura experiment? Children who are being told by an adult to administer electric shocks to another child if they answer a very difficult question incorrectly or children being told to act violently toward an inanimate object and be rewarded for it?
prophetkid
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You want something creative? Hmm..
How about a replication of Bandura's Bobo Doll study. But instead of a Bobo doll, you have an actual child.
Basically child beats child.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (79)
13.57%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (11)
1.89%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (147)
25.26%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (47)
8.08%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (280)
48.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.09%

Watched Threads