Three questions about morality/evolution Watch

pineneedles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Do you think a sense of right and wrong furthers or inhibits the propagation of the human race?

Do you think it is natural for a person to respond in the most 'fair' way possible to a situation?

Should the 'survival of the fittest' apply only when a society is unable to support its weakest members?
This last one arose because I know that some people believe that the mentally ill and disabled shouldn't be allowed to live and reproduce. (Personally I think Darwin's theory should only be taken as what it is, a theory of evolution, rather than a suggestion of how we ought to behave)
swagyolo420
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the answer to this is you're boring

Posted from TSR Mobile
pineneedles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by swagyolo420)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why bother posting if you're not saying anything useful?
shsstudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you're to dumb to interact with anything interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
shsstudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by pineneedles)
Do you think a sense of right and wrong furthers or inhibits the propagation of the human race?

Do you think it is natural for a person to respond in the most 'fair' way possible to a situation?

Should the 'survival of the fittest' apply only when a society is unable to support its weakest members?
This last one arose because I know that some people believe that the mentally ill and disabled shouldn't be allowed to live and reproduce. (Personally I think Darwin's theory should only be taken as what it is, a theory of evolution, rather than a suggestion of how we ought to behave)
No doubt survival of the fittest was a theory of evolution. Not a way of life. But I also see how people use the theory as an excuse to be mean or selfish. Clear there conscience.

Your question about fairness is to vague for me to really form a view. For example fairness isn't a definite. Whats fair to one person is unfair to another. Also there are to many different situations were fair doesn't really make sense. Where fairness is insignificant due to a bigger picture.

As a society we will not care for are weakest because we don't meet them, know them or live like them. We feel completely separated from the worst of but we don't like to accept it. I think we feel guilty if we accept were better of than someone that is near to us so we push them away.

Being a middle class boy all my mates were working class during primary and middle school. As ive grown up i seem to have pushed them away. I now have incredibly middle class mates. Maybe this is an example of what i wad talking about. Or it could just be a case of fittin in? Would like to hear your thoughts? Happy to make sense pf any of m "Pretentious" philosophy as my bro puts it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish I could Neg Rep you for this stupid comment.
D.G.N.A
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which question are you answering?

If it's the first question, You could arguably use an absurdist argument to presume that this person is literally the manifestation of morality, which is an arguably underdeveloped argument, and you should wait a bit longer until you presume such a manifestation could exist.

If it is the second? Well. That's implying that this person is answering his own question by BEING boring, which is a pretty counter-communitive situation to defend. Once again, if such a manifestation could exist, we would have discussed said manifestation beforehand, so why would it come up now? Clearly this person cannot ask a moral question that answers itself without being universally accepted as boring, which he is not: I find him quite not boring.

If it is the third, the question suddenly becomes a daunting implication that it does not matter either way, which is a chilling and unsettling idea overall. If one was to not be for societal progression, nor against it, but merely neutral to it, at what point does one individual of said standpoint decide that it is best to state such an opinion? Why does the fact that this person has bored you, presumably putting quite a damper on your day, hold such universally (and subjective, admittedly) value that is useful, necessary, even?

In conclusion, YOU'RE boring, for not saying anything interesting.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (73)
15.97%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (46)
10.07%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (88)
19.26%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (64)
14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (48)
10.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (138)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise