The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Sandby Hall Questions

Hi, I've got a few questions about Sandby Hall. I know most of them aren't that important, but I'm just wondering about a few things.

1. Internet - What is the internet speed like in NTU halls in general? Are certain ports blocked preventing things like online gaming etc?

2. TV - A while ago, I read a post which said that an NTU hall (I can't remember which one) doesn't have aerial sockets, and portable aerials don't work, so you had to watch TV on the internet. Is this correct?

3. Mobile network coverage - Is there any signal in Sandby, or do you have to leave the building to make calls?

4. En-suite bathroom - Do you find this okay? Does the shower work alright?
Reply 1
Bump
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi,

I just left Sandby Halls after spending my first year there.

Internet is run by studentcom, it's awful. I'd recommend buying an ethernet cable (you'll need one if you're taking an xbox anyway). Ethernet cable was the only way I could gain a stable & solid connection. The internet went down quite frequently, they're aware of this, so hopefully they'll change providers for next year (sounded like an ongoing issue from the previous year though, so wouldn't hold my breath for that change).

TV; you are correct. There are no aerials, I didn't try a portable one. I got by fine on iplayer/sky/netflix etc, so I wouldn't worry too heavily about that.

Mobile network coverage, basically all over Nottingham is very strong (atleast for me, always had strong connection and 4G - I'm with O2). In Sandby, this was the same, very good signal.

En-suit was more than okay for me, when i first saw it on move in day, I was a little underwhelmed by it, it doesn't look amazing. But shower worked really well. Maintenance is also really decent if you do have any issues. I'd recommend taking your own mirror too, the ones in the ensuits aren't the best (sort of like a plastic mirror, they are fairly scratched, usable but not great).

Hope this helps!
Reply 3
Original post by Titan94
Hi,

I just left Sandby Halls after spending my first year there.

Internet is run by studentcom, it's awful. I'd recommend buying an ethernet cable (you'll need one if you're taking an xbox anyway). Ethernet cable was the only way I could gain a stable & solid connection. The internet went down quite frequently, they're aware of this, so hopefully they'll change providers for next year (sounded like an ongoing issue from the previous year though, so wouldn't hold my breath for that change).

TV; you are correct. There are no aerials, I didn't try a portable one. I got by fine on iplayer/sky/netflix etc, so I wouldn't worry too heavily about that.

Mobile network coverage, basically all over Nottingham is very strong (atleast for me, always had strong connection and 4G - I'm with O2). In Sandby, this was the same, very good signal.

En-suit was more than okay for me, when i first saw it on move in day, I was a little underwhelmed by it, it doesn't look amazing. But shower worked really well. Maintenance is also really decent if you do have any issues. I'd recommend taking your own mirror too, the ones in the ensuits aren't the best (sort of like a plastic mirror, they are fairly scratched, usable but not great).

Hope this helps!

Where do you reccommend getting an ethernet cable from?
Reply 4
Sorry for the late reply.

I got a 10 meter one from GAME in Nottingham. It was £7 - which was overpriced, I'd just order a few meters in advance from eBay (or some poundshops sell shorter ones).

CAT5E/Ethernet cable are the same cable (incase you don't know), they might be listed under CAT5E on ebay maybe. Worth a check, can deffo find them much cheaper than £7 :smile:.
Original post by James255
Hi, I've got a few questions about Sandby Hall. I know most of them aren't that important, but I'm just wondering about a few things.

1. Internet - What is the internet speed like in NTU halls in general? Are certain ports blocked preventing things like online gaming etc?

2. TV - A while ago, I read a post which said that an NTU hall (I can't remember which one) doesn't have aerial sockets, and portable aerials don't work, so you had to watch TV on the internet. Is this correct?

3. Mobile network coverage - Is there any signal in Sandby, or do you have to leave the building to make calls?

4. En-suite bathroom - Do you find this okay? Does the shower work alright?

Hi James,
Apologies for the delay, I have been in touch with hallsmanager and he has come back with the below information:

1) Internet: The internet is provided by Studentcom.They provide 20mb internet free of charge and you can upgrade to 50mb for anannual fee. If you are looking for online gaming I would recommend the upgradebut I would talk to Studentcom first regarding port setup before parting withyour money to ensure that you are able to configure your wireless access theway you want. Overall the speed is reasonable. Like everywhere it has its peakdemand times where speeds may be effected due to high user volumes. On the rareoccasion there has been an outage but there is a 24/7 tech support lineprovided by Studentcom to report any issues

2) TV: There are no TV points provided in the Halls.Most people watch TV via internet services such as Netflix, Now TV and BBCiPlayer.

3) Mobile Network Coverage: I have never had aproblem getting phone coverage in the halls. I pick up 4G reception of decentquality at all times on the O2 network. I cannot speak for other networks but Iwould imagine it is a similar level of coverage. Certainly the building itselfdoes not hinder reception.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Cheers,
Erica
What was your overall opinion of Sandby, looking to stay there this year? Was thinking of getting on of the bigger rooms? are they better, and is is really noisy there because your'e right nest to the SU?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending