AQA Product Design - Urgent Question

Watch
Mudas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Can someone explain to me computer numerical control? Its on the specification but we havent been taught it at school :/ And the internet isn't helping either
username1753569
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Taken from revision guide/the internet: CNC systems (computers which use CAD software packages) convert the design made using the CAD package (e.g. Solidworks) into numbers. The numbers can be considered to be the coordinates of a graph, and they control the movement of a cutter in a CAD machine. In this way the computer controls the cutting and shaping of a material. CAD/CAM machines work by using x,y,z coordinates. The CAD software works out the coordinates of each point in your design (x is the left/right position, y is forward/backwards and z is up/down) This is how the CAM machine can cut out or build up a design by following these coordinates.

It's a bit jumbled up there but hopefully these sources help!
boriapple
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
CNC is closely related to CAM. CNC is basically the control part of machinery to high accuracy and precision as opposed to the manufacture process itself. i.e. CNC is guiding the machinery whereas CAM is the use of the machinery in manufacture.

Well, this is how I have understood it as.
Mudas
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks everyone! If i comes up, i owe you all a cookie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (68)
61.82%
No (42)
38.18%

Watched Threads